Hungry ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Hungry ?

Post by Pete44ru »

Since I had a LOT of cabbage left after making corned beef & cabbage for St. Patrick's Day, I made some Polish Golumki (rolled stuffed cabbage), and thought that there might be a few folks here that would like to make them.

Golumki is an inexpensive meal (but a bit of work), and tastes like candy:

Cabbage was $0.15/lb; Venison was probably $850/lb ;) , the 2 eggs were $0.50, the white rice was $2, onion was $0.25, and the tomato sauce was $1.50/can.

So, here's the recipe:

2lbs ground beef or venison
1 C white rice
2 whole eggs
2-3 lg heads of cabbage
1 onion, fine dice
2 (28oz) cans tomato sauce
1 C of Cider Vinegar
1 C Brown sugar, +/- (Splenda Brown sugar works best for diabetics, tastes the same - but use only 1/2 C )
Salt/Pepper as req'd

Boil cabbage in large stew pot(s) until the leaves soften & pull off easily - separate & drain leaves for wrapping, & let them cool down.

While the cabbage is boiling, in a large saucepan combine the sweet/sour sauce ingredients: Tomato sauce, Cider Vinegar, & Brown sugar.
Bring sauce to a boil & simmer 10mins.

In a large bowl, combine the stuffing: Ground meat (raw), finely diced onion (raw), and white rice (raw), eggs, salt/pepper - similar to making a meatloaf.

In a LARGE baking dish (like, 10"x15"), spread a ladle full of the sauce on the bottom.

Place a large tablespoon of the stuffing onto the middle of a flattened cabbage leaf, then roll/tuck the leaf around the stuffing tightly, then place/arrange roll(s) in baking dish, seam "down".
Drizzle sauce over wrapped meat in the baking dish (reserve at least 1 C for plating/serving)

Repeat as req'd, until either stuffing or cabbage leaves are used up - a 2nd (or 3rd) layer is OK.

Bake in a 375-degree pre-heated oven until cabbage rolls are very brown - being sure to rotating (top/bottom AND placement in the dish/layers) every 20 mins, to ensure that all cabbage rolls become caramelized.

Consume the Golumki as-is, or drizzle some of the reserves sweet/sour sauce over them.

Bon Apetit ! :D

Last edited by Pete44ru on Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
JHarold
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Hungry ?

Post by JHarold »

I will try this soon. similar to cabbage rolls but with a nicer sauce I think?
good winter and spring food.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That looks really yummy, Pete. Thanks for sharing. The cabbage reminds me that I have not made "halooshky" in some time. Family loved it. Thanks to Ron in Montana.

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net ... c1253.html
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I do something like that, but layer it in a casserole so I don't have to roll them up. I love cooked cabbage.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

That is going into the recipe book :P
Gettin old ain't for sissies!