So long faithful friend

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

So long faithful friend

Post by fordwannabe »

Mrs. fordwannabe got up before me this morning to let the dogs out. She came back upstairs and said, Hunter has gone. He was my loveable, smart, gentle yellow lab, and friend. We had him for 12 of his 13 years and he was just a joy, even when he ate Mrs fordwannabe's sneakers that first year(the left shoe for all three pair). We moved him out to the garage, and as I live on a rock mound with 3/4 inch of dirt on top. I will have to take him to be incinerated tomorrow. We will stop at the gun range on the way, it was his favorite spot when he was younger. I knew the time was near and spent several hours yesterday with his head in my lap stroking his head. I reassured him it was ok to quite fighting as he had nothing to prove to anybody when it came to being friend slash dog. This is the second dog since July that passed. We still have Winchester who was a rescue, 4 years old chocolate lab, and Marlin 10 month old Doberman( that little guy is now 100 pounds) so there are still paws on the floor, but it just isn't going to be the same. As might be expected during writing this my keyboard has gotten blurry, and wet. If ya got em givem a hug and let them know they meam something to ya. MAYBE Jack K needs a buddy up there. Via con dios, buddy.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: So long faithful friend

Post by Blaine »

:( Misty keyboards, indeed. It never gets easier.

-------------------------------------
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I dread these threads. Makes me miss all my canine friends so darned much. Glad you still have "paws on the ground."
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sorry for your loss ! Been there many times before so I know the feeling .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Sorry to hear Tom......with each passing of another pet, it never gets easier, it shows you have a heart.....time heals.

We have a pet cemetery with 19 stones from over 40 years. The memories of each dog or cat (cats have a separate cemetery, don't want them fighting :D ) are just as clear today as they were years ago, unlike the memories of most people.---Jack
Model A Uzi’s
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

It`s never easy, sorry for your loss. :(
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Sorry for your loss Tom.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Remember the good times, especially the fact he chewed MRS's sneakers and not yours! They are indeed family.

Few years back when I had my first litter there was one little boy that just wasn't 'right'. Not gaining weight or moving much. I took Win and all 7 pups to my vet for comparison. Doc says no nothing wrong... Few days later off to all night emergency clinic where they found he had a leaking heart. Only 1 option.... at a WEEK old.
I still keep telling myself that a child upstairs asked for a puppy

Sorry getting blurry here
Tom grieve as you need to then go get another Pup!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sorry to hear. It's a special bond. He will live on in the good memories and rejoin you in the happy hunting grounds.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Sad day my friend.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:21 am I dread these threads. Makes me miss all my canine friends so darned much. Glad you still have "paws on the ground."
+1 condolences to you and your wife.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Sorry to hear this Tom,been where you are many times it never gets any easier.
Take care buddy.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

It's never easy, nor should it be. Dogs are such special creatures that take such a huge piece of us when they go, but they leave us a better person for loving and being loved by these wonderful animals.

Take care,

jason
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Dogs give us unconditional love, and rescues seem to be forever grateful. We have lost a few, and it is never easy.
Prayers for comfort sent.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

SO SORRY :cry: I know the pain
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Thanks guys. Yessterday just sucked. I thank you all for the support. We are leaving now for the gun range and then the vet/disposal building. I am very proud of my 6 year old nephew though, he is a city kid but starting to think about things like an outdoorsman, he asked his dad to let him come over to say goodbye to bis friend, Hunter. He was respectful and just barely patted Hunter's side(dead stuff is concerning to little kids), Then he watched my brother and me load Hunter in the truck. I am better today. I have a rack with hooks on it, and there are now 5 collars on it and each one made me feel like this when it was placed on the hook. I will be fine, I just dont have to like it to lose a guy this good and loving.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sorry to be late to this but heck, I hate this kind of thing :(

Tia, I miss you still.....you, fordwannabe are in my thoughts.

Nathan.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Tough when a good friend/dog has to go away. It's probably one of the toughest losses anyone can go through. when my springer spaniel passed about 12 years ago I swore I was done with dogs, and haven't gotten another. Then my daughter came by a couple years ago for a visit, and had this tiny gremlin that looked a lot like my springer Sammy, but this scrunched up little nose, and about 40 lbs. lighter.
Not sure why, but her dog decided I was her best friend, and doesn't want to go home sometimes. She follows me constantly, and if I leave she waits in the front window for me. She stays here 3-4 days a week while our daughter is at work, and granddaughter is in college. Almost like having a dog, but not full time.

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Today was a better day. The state government was shut down so I got to stay home with my wife and the other dogs. Marlin and Winchester are good for a guy who is grieving. I told Mrs fordwannabe that the only way I think I will get over it totally is to get another one....dog nope, rifle. Marlin 1893 in 32-40, she said something about being an azz or being broke or something.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Look at it this way fordwannabe- you still have Marlin and Winchester so you aren’t alone. Enjoy their company!
Marlinman-Sometimes a rentapooch gets the job done!
Years ago when I lost my Lady to old age at 16&1/2( best dog ever) I went about 6 months without a lab on hand. My JRT , Tramp was even in a funk, anyhow I swore to myself to always have a lab on hand- now with 4 in the house I need a bigger couch and either a California King size or bunk beds to get a good nights sleep!! Would I change it? NO WAY!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

very sorry for your loss... prayers sent... :(