Rossi 92 problem, help needed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
anpol
Levergunner

Rossi 92 problem, help needed

Post by anpol »

Hi All!

As a freshly registered user I would like to say warm hello to everybody from the frosty, snowy eastern Poland.

Not a long time ago I fulfilled my childhood dream of not only handling but also owning and firing a lever-gun. It's not a Winchester '73 (like from the movie that they showed back then on our TV), it's even more hollywoodish (or bollywoodish? :roll: ): a Rossi 92 ;-).
Unfortunately my dream lasted till the first visit on the range. Me and my wife tried our hands. The .357 would cycle without shaking and wiggling. 38 SPL were OK. Then was a problem with ejecting a case: it got torn apart while extracting, than again, this time the brass ring got stuck in the chamber. I managed to push back it through at home. But also managed to break the firing pin by accident. I got replacement and finally, yesterday set out to make the thing to work again.

The gun was bought second hand, although the cycling was still rough. I made a few dummy rounds and worked them through the gun to make the .357 feed at last. The bolt and lugs are rather smooth moving. No binding or grinding. The ejector spring is impossible. It may well be employed in a small car suspension. What's more, the collar wouldn't slip under the dog leg so the full force of the spring had to be taken by a dummy round leveraged on the extractor when putting the bolt in. After several test diss- re-assembly sessions I didn't cry anymore and somehow showed the True Grit (TM) ;-) and managed to push the dummy and prevent it from flying to the Earth's orbit while sliding in the bolt. Even more fun than shooting a Mosin ;-).

Yesterday I got the new firing pin, put it in and reassembled everything to make a function check with the dummy rounds. I loaded two, cycled vigorously (it needs that with the longer .357s!). I got startled by the ejected dummies and moved to the bedroom, further from the windows and any breakable stuff. Pushed four rounds in, cycled the two and wanted to replenish the magazine. The round would not go in. I decided to empty the remaining two rounds, ejected one and that was the beginning of the disaster:

The bolt will not close fully. During the last successful reload I had a feeling that the final "snap" was heavier, but this time the overcoming the ejector spring force becomes impossible. The lever and the tang start to bend but the bolt won't move the last 2-3 mm. The cross-pin is visible in the LH hole but it's impossible to drive it out, it needs a fraction of a milimiter. The last round sits in the magazine it was not released by the stop.

[Breaking news]

While writing this I decided to loosen the cartridge stop screw and give it a wobble. I've found a firing pin tip underneath. Broken again! The tip had got stuck underneath the stop and prevented the last round from coming out of the tube, and what's worse it bent the ejector's lip. Now the cartridge stop moves freely, I managed to remove the cross pin and the bolt. What a lovely day! ;-)
I don't need help with finding the cause of the jam. I am a happy owner of a pretty but useless carbine, a single sports car suspension spring (need at least two!) and two firing pins complete with their tips (available separately).

[A breakfast later]
Having nothing better to do, I took a closer look at the bolt, which now devoid of all the messy bits, I moved to and fro. It has the final resistance, which seems to be coming from the extractor mortise in the barrel chamber. The right hand side of it comes with contact with the extractor a bit to much. One can see the shiny metal and the bolt binds to the degree of not falling out under its own weight when positioned vertically (the right way down of course ;-)). A tap is needed to dislodge it. I suspect it wasn't exactly the feature envisioned by J.M. Browning, or was it? Do the real Winchesters 1892 have it, other Rossis 92, too?

Anyway, it's time for me to thing over a new order for a few more firing pins and finding a competent gunsmith dealing with lever guns here LOL. Someone will have to learn a new skill of hand fitting Rossi firing pins ;-).

Cheers
Andrzej
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Rossi 92 problem, help needed

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the campfire. I'm sure help will be here soon. :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Steve's Gunz is likely your best source of help. He is a long time pro at this.

http://stevesgunz.com/
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

anpol
Levergunner

Post by anpol »

Thanks, a little problem might pose the ammount of water between him and me - the Atlantic ocean, I live in Poland :o .

When I get another replacement firing pin I will have to figure out somehow where to take off some metal. The old one is a clue, the old tip has some rub marks on one side. But if I break another one it's going to be a lifetime project for me ;-), life is good :-D.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Steve will be able to advise you (as may others here).

He has a DVD that goes over most Rossi gunsmithing issues...

https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
anpol
Levergunner

Post by anpol »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:34 pm Steve will be able to advise you (as may others here).

He has a DVD that goes over most Rossi gunsmithing issues...

https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?
Yes , but: "no longer be able to process orders outside of the United States" - that's me.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

HI & Welcome From Wyoming
To bad the Rossi has to be frustrating for you, I have two of them ( both 45 Colt) & they both run very well, in fact I ran 50 through
one today, that one must be around 3,000 rounds down the pipe & no problems
What can you hunt in Poland with your Rossi?

ollogger
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Welcome from Ohio, ...You are in the right place and Steve is "The Man" to help with Your problem .
anpol
Levergunner

Post by anpol »

ollogger wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:34 pm HI & Welcome From Wyoming
To bad the Rossi has to be frustrating for you, I have two of them ( both 45 Colt) & they both run very well, in fact I ran 50 through
one today, that one must be around 3,000 rounds down the pipe & no problems
Well, I'm glad I learned someting in the last sleeples 48 hours. It was educating, it's my first lever gun and although the weapons are highly regulated over here and I just cannot bin it, I am not bitter over it. I was a bit too over-anxious, should have stop and think over the fuction of the cartridge stop before slamming it in, but hey, where would had been fun in that!? One day I'll get myself a '73 solely for that purpose (village level CAS maybe?). :-)
ollogger wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:34 pm What can you hunt in Poland with your Rossi?

ollogger
I don't hunt.
I just shoot for fun. Got some old stuff, flinter replicas, caplocks, and some more modern things, nothing beats the Enfield in .577 though :-D!
I know that 45-70 (Marlins, 1894s?) / 30-06 (1895) lever guns are used for hog here, I would have to ask around. OK, rifled barrel - min. 1000 J @ 100 m; min. 2500 J @ 100 m for elk; and min. 2000 J @ 100 m for deer, muflon, hog.

Cheers
Andrzej / Andy
Tanqueray
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tanqueray »

Hi Andrzej, it is certainly a common issue with the Rossi 92 reproductions that some of the springs are too long/strong, especially the ejector spring. I have a copy of the Steve’s Gunz DVD, however it’s loaned out at the moment so I can’t have a look and tell you what he specifically recommends. In some cases he recommends cutting a few coils off the spring, and in others replacing the springs. Steve references a replacaement spring set, I think from Brownells.com, who ship internationally.
More meplat, more better.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum from Texas.

1st: take a magnifying glass and check out the channel the firing pin runs in. You might have a burr in there that needs cleaning up.

2nd: Measure your firing pin protrusion after cleaning the firing pin hole. I don't recall what it should be, but if it's too long, you can break the tip when the cartridge is being fed thru the action.

3rd: Check the extractor & ejector cuts in the breech. The bolt should just fall out of the channel with nothing holding it. (Rifle disassembled). Again, might be a burr somewhere that's causing a tolerance issue. These are not what I'd call quality machined parts... they are a bit rough. A little judicious honing is in order.

Check out the tuning tips under Maraurder's Rifle Tips.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!