Win '92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Win '92

Post by Rusty »

My LGS has a Win 92 in .32-20 with a 20" Oct barrel. The one problem with it is that the gun was carried in an airboat quite a bit and the first 8" or so from the muzzle has quite a bit of rust in it. I'm wondering how practical it would be to send it off and have a liner put in the barrel?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Win '92

Post by GunnyMack »

Question is will it clean up & shoot ?
If was still a fair shooter I wouldn't bother having it lined.
I suppose you could rebarrel if you so desired, but that hurts resale/ collector value whereas lining doesn't...
How is the rest of the gun? I'm guessing it's probably NOT mint!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Unless it letters as a short rifle, it's already been cut. As long as the rest of it is serviceable, and you can get it for a good price factoring in any barrel work, you can make a shooter out if it.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Rusty, ask them if you can scrub the bore with a bore cleaner and steelwool wrapped around a bore brush. Then try a couple of shots. My 92 32wcf made in 1917 has trouble cast but will shoot jacketed bullets real good. Might be worth a try.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

+1 ....Like the other guys have said. Ya never know until you shoot it...I have a Colt Lightning 32-20, made in '86 that has a shytty bore but tha baby will shoot beer cans all day .....with a lead gas checked bullet.

Let's pretend you can pick it up for 4-5.....as long as the mechanics are fine.......even if the last several inches at the muzzle are messed up,and it won't shoot well...mmmmm....have a bud set the barrel on a lathe and cut out .010 out of the rifling where it's bad.......smooth bore it. Yea....it will still shoot good.....I had an 86 in 45-70 done that way...about the last 3"....beer can accurate to 200.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Tanqueray
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tanqueray »

I have an 1892 octagonal barreled rifle in 44WCF that has a poor looking bore, but still shoots quite well (1.5” or bette @ 50m).
I’d definitely see how it shoots before spending money on it.
Another option before relining would be to try fire lapping.
More meplat, more better.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks guys, you've all pretty much said what I had going thru my mind already. Sixgun, opening up the bore was the first thing I thought of. A liner was the last solution. Along the line I also thought about just shooting it and seeing what it would do. I've been working all week and haven't been able to lay eyes on it yet. Jr was telling me about it because he knew I was interested in a .32-20. I'll try to get down there and see it today.

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Rusty grab that little carbine if you can. The two most fun guns I have is my Rossi 92 .357 and my old 92 32wcf.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

There is a gunshop on OBT near Poinciana that has a 92 in 38 wcf. Bore is dirty but did not look bad. Tagged as having parts missing. they are asking $450 for it. If anyone is interested I will look up name and number.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Rusty, Northern Tool carries a product called Evaporust or something like that. The stuff really works. Just recently I used it on a 94 and a 73 barrel. Plugged the breech end and poured the barrel full. Be careful here cause it removes bluing, if you've any left. Leave it overnight and just rinse with water. Remove all oil first and it will work on the rust. There may not be much left but it won't be rusty.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well I got to go look at it today. It's not something I'd be interested in. The hang tag said it was made in 1939-41 and they wanted $1500 for it. It looked like every time it was taken apart someone used a lug wrench from a model T. Every screw on it was messed up and the screw for the end cap was missing all together. The bore looked like a sewer pipe and it wasn't just the last 8" near the muzzle, it was from top to bottom.
I guess I'll keep looking.

Is that shop in Ponciana by any chance called Hal's? That's a great place.

wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

It is called Addison's.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

That's Right Wolfdog. I was confused. Hal's is in Bartow. I go past Addison's a couple of times a week, but it's in the dark.