Custom inserts for Lyman 20 MJT globe front sight?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Custom inserts for Lyman 20 MJT globe front sight?

Post by Naphtali »

I would like to try a post insert, mounted upside down, in my Lyman 20 MJT globe front sight assembly. The obvious solution does not work. Mounting inserts that accompany the sight cannot be done. So I seek custom inserts. I find several sight makers offer custom inserts for MVA and other globe sight assemblies, but I have not identified any for the Lyman 20 MJT.

Please identify a source for me.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Custom inserts for Lyman 20 MJT globe front sight?

Post by Old No7 »

Naphtali wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:52 pm I would like to try a post insert, mounted upside down, in my Lyman 20 MJT globe front sight assembly. The obvious solution does not work. Mounting inserts that accompany the sight cannot be done. So I seek custom inserts. I find several sight makers offer custom inserts for MVA and other globe sight assemblies, but I have not identified any for the Lyman 20 MJT.

Please identify a source for me.
Have you tried over at Lee Shaver Gunsmithing (click for link) ? -- As he sells very nice sets of inserts for the Lyman sights, including the "20" model.

I understand due to the "notches" or "tabs" that are not right at 9 & 3 o'clock that you can't just mount one upside down -- but couldn't you use one of those from the top row (see image on link) and carefully "cut off" the parts of the sight you don't want?

Also, don't forget that you can "double-stack" 2 inserts to get the exact image/shape that you want, or close to it maybe.

Hope this helps.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

I queried Lee Shaver - nope.

Lyman's #17's inserts are capable of being inserted upside down. That's where my idea occurred. My objection was and is that when holding a sight picture for distance shooting, the post obscures target. Upside down insertion allows the target to remain visible. The "muscle memory" for learning to aim by dropping down rather than rising on the target is what need be learned.

I discovered that the #17's globe prevents me from seeing the insert at dawn and dusk - the most likely times for hunters to be seeing deer and elk. The #20s hood is much larger and beefier. Sufficient light is able to enter the insert area that viewing it at dawn and dusk is not an issue. Then, an insert with upside down post becomes the issue.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Just trying to help...
Naphtali wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:34 am I queried Lee Shaver - nope.
That's where I'm confused, couldn't you easily convert one of his inserts, like the one shown on left, into the "upside down post" that you want, shown on the right?

Lyman 20 Post.jpg

Naphtali wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:34 am The #20s hood is much larger and beefier. Sufficient light is able to enter the insert area that viewing it at dawn and dusk is not an issue. Then, an insert with upside down post becomes the issue.
That's where you're losing me...

The area of the #20 is exponentially larger than the #17, which lets in more light; that much we likely agree on. I can't see where the "amount of light" impacted by a sight post coming from the top -- would be any more than for a sight post coming from the bottom. What's the issue?

Like I said, just trying to help, and also to better understand your wants and concerns.

Old -- and maybe getting too old to understand basic concepts -- No7

ps: Oh wait... Do you really want an upside down "bead on a post" ? ? ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Old No7 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:02 pm Just trying to help...
Naphtali wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:34 am I queried Lee Shaver - nope.
That's where I'm confused, couldn't you easily convert one of his inserts, like the one shown on left, into the "upside down post" that you want, shown on the right?

Lyman 20 Post.jpg

Naphtali wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:34 am The #20s hood is much larger and beefier. Sufficient light is able to enter the insert area that viewing it at dawn and dusk is not an issue. Then, an insert with upside down post becomes the issue.
That's where you're losing me...

The area of the #20 is exponentially larger than the #17, which lets in more light; that much we likely agree on. I can't see where the "amount of light" impacted by a sight post coming from the top -- would be any more than for a sight post coming from the bottom. What's the issue?

Like I said, just trying to help, and also to better understand your wants and concerns.

Old -- and maybe getting too old to understand basic concepts -- No7

ps: Oh wait... Do you really want an upside down "bead on a post" ? ? ?
As I lost you, you have lost me.