New Trapper

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

New Trapper

Post by OldWin »

So, ever since I did the half cock conversion on my 94 trapper, I've been wanting another in 30-30. Don't know why, I got a pile of 30-30s, and some home built Trappers. I wanted a post 64 top eject but couldn't believe the going prices. :shock:
I've always kinda liked Griff's Legendary Lawman. I figured I could find a shooter one maybe.
Well I found this one for a good price. Trouble is, it's NIB with all the papers, etc. To top it off, the serial number is 25.
So.....an informal poll. What say you guys?
Put it away? Save it? Show restraint?
Or
Shoot that sucker like I got free ammo?
Here are some pics.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Trapper

Post by Pitchy »

Oh my gosh buddy she`s a beauty, congrats on getting it. 8)
If it were mine I`d shoot the heck out of it and carry it hiking, I`m sure we`ll be seeing some pics of you shooting it soon. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:wink: Choot 'em, Choot 'em.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha my old bud Pitchy knows me well. :D
I told the guy I would keep all the paperwork and box, but most likely it would be carried and shot. Only thing that gave me pause was the low number.......I'll get over it. :D
Shoulda seen the guy's face!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Put on your snowshoes and hit the trails with a pocket for of shells. I would be plumb proud to shoot in to and old pine stump, with that little charmer. You done real good with that deal.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Shoot the snot out of it and let someone else worry about what it's worth!

:D :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2ndovc wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:03 pm Shoot the snot out of it and let someone else worry about what it's worth!

:D :D

jb 8)
He did say he had a "whole stack" of 30wcf.....He can make up the loss. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks guy's! I knew I could count on you!
I actually have a pre 64 thats unfired. Only crappy thing is there is no box. Too bad I paid 275 bucks for it. :D
The little trapper is cool though. Action is really smooth. I like that its carbine butt, has the longer nose forend, and the tang stamping like the older rifles.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Man, that baby has some primo wood on it. I'm with our buddy Pitchy, shoot the snot out of it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

just take care of it and shoot it....shoot it....and shoot it....til ya cant!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yup. I ain't gettin any younger. What am I gonna save it for? Once I shoot it, it frees my sons and on the way grandson to be able to enjoy it too.
I won't sell it anyway. You figure, they sold new for like 350 bucks retail in 1977. I just bought it for barely double that 41 years later. When you figure the value of the dollar, its probably depreciated actually.
To me, and I think most of you, it's worth more to enjoy and shoot. I value you guy's opinions so feel free to chime in.
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

Shoot it.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jay da bro,
Let Mr. Capitalism...peon style.....get involved.....(yea, you guys love me, you just don't want to admit it. :D )

Ok, you now have a kick butt rifle in as new condition...with the box and papers.......after a couple of shots are fired and the action worked, which leaves slight marks, well, that tells an experienced collector it's no longer new.

1.) there is a finite number of these guns made.

2.) NOTHING grabs a collector more than a low serial number...single digits are the best...double digits are next in line, followed by triples.....after that the desirability wanes.

3.) single digit guns...only in desirable makes...Winchesters, etc....will bring up to ...and more....5-10x the value of the same gun in comparable condition. Double digit guns will easily bring double to 4x.....I sold number #16 Winchester Model 61 for 3 g's...and the guy was happy to get it. Serial number 1 in the famous Colt Single Action..IIRC ..brought something like $300,000 some 20 years ago...don't quote me on that number...going from a faded memory.....

4.)Yours is a low double digit in a comparatively modern gun so it will still bring 20-40% more than a regular number.....yes, you have to take the time to advertise. As the years pass, the value goes up but as you are a semi old guy now, you might as well take advantage of the premium. :D With the liberals pushing to be in control of us all, an original cased Colt Texas Paterson might be soon regulated to the scrap yard.

5.) (important to know). There is a seat for every azz in this world so that means there is always someone who wants what you have and is willing to pay a premium for speciality. There are lots of people who love to display and show off their wares at the finer gun shows...not the fire hall types.......especially guns that are of the rarer variations with low serial numbers.

6.) I'd advertise it on Gunbroker with an emphasis on the serial number possibly making a 40-75% profit and then buying one that's slightly shot without the box.

7.) if all of this is not worth the aggravation, just go ahead and shoot the phuck out of it...it's not a NIB 1886 made in 1891. :D

8.) I had my dirty hands on some of the finest German Lugers ever made tonight...ww1-2 , standard, artillery, shoulder stocks, snail drums, cased, engraved, presentation,.....most all in like new condition. Even handled a presentation plaque to a German Major signed by the number 2 man...Herman Goring..........presentation swords, daggers, knives, early Colt percussion guns..cased....like new Colt single actions...yes...first gen..... New Services, pre war smiths.....etc....I was sick when I had to leave....but....tomorrow is another day! At least a hundred Winchesters...mmmmm...send me down some of that Maine money....---6
Model A Uzi’s
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

If I was in your situation, with all them other 30-30s, including Trappers, I'd just wait a bit and let things settle in. No need to make a hasty, irrevocable decision.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Shoot it. Enjoy it.

If you decide to sell and some frilly-pants collector don't like the wear, keep fishin'.

Another hungry fish will come along.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Jack, my man!
I appreciate your insight and the time you took to give me that info.
Truth is, THAT is why you have a smokin' collection of primo stuff. You are focused and motivated in these matters.
I thought of these things seriously. As I posted above, the ONLY thing that gave me pause was the number. That said, most of the shooters I saw were selling for more than I paid. And, the plain Jane trappers in nice condition were selling for considerably more.
Selling this rifle is a hassle. There is not a lot of money up here so I'd have to deal with Gunbroker, etc.
I'm just too dang lazy. :D
It would be one thing if I stood to make a grand, but I don't see that happening, and I'd still have the hassle of getting another rifle.
In short.......I know your right.....but I'm an idiot. :D
That's why you got so many awesome Winchesters and I got a pile of rusty junkers. :D

On a similar subject. I thought of you the other day. I saw a half mag SRC in 38-55 just like the 2 I have.
Just the paltry sum of 2200 :shock:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Congrats............. and - hunt it !

The most pleasant memories I have are of hunting with high-grade rifles - after all, how/where else can you get what amounts to a fancy/engraved Winchester 94 with upgraded wood for a third of the cost of a Custom Shop pre-64 ?

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks Pete.
Yeah, like I told my buddy Jack, I'm a pizz poor collector.
I wish the oldies weren't worth anything. I hate the money aspect. I just like em too much.
I saw a 98% 73 musket yesterday. Had the bayonet and cleaning rod too. Really nice, but not for 6k. :shock:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay...stop lying.....you are not a pizz poor collector......your being way too modest....you have a lot of very nice stuff..seriously.......

Thanks but I'm just a regular guy who has been at this for over 40 years when lots of this stuff was easily bought.

I hear ya on the hassle thing.....yes, it can be hassle to get top dollar but keep in mind that rarity and condition sells easily. Described in detail with an emphasis on the rarity WILL attract that rare guy who will pay for rarity.....figure this..You buy a NIB Remington 870 for $400......leave th gun in the box and then try to sell it for HALF of what you just paid...it is a hard sell. Then take an '86 in 40-70 with a set trigger, deluxe wood, etc....that has 95% condition...well, you can name your price. Condition and rarity sell in all denominations of manufactured goods.

It's only an ad you have to post on Gunbroker...set the reserve or have a "buy it now" for 30-40% over of what you paid. Regular citizens are legally allowed to sell a half dozen guns a year or so in order to upgrade their collections.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah, I do hear you bro. I'm not gonna do anything right off. I dont know though, I kinda like the silly thing. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:16 pmb
I kinda like the silly thing. :D
Well, I like it too.....(can I have it?)

The cousin to the guy who owns Targetmaster stopped by the other day.....he owns an auto body shop....(I hate people who have tons of disposable income).. :D ......anyway, after I caught him trying to stuff a first gen. Colt under his coat....yea....yea...yea....like the way you did last spring......I politely told him to put it back and he said, "hey, I got a nice 1892 I'll trade ya for this Colt."........

Well, after telling him that "this is no museum here" and anything can be "bought or traded", I asked him to describe the '92....he says, " well, it ain't much, just a 95% condition 1892 in 38-40 WITH A 16" BARREL." After cleaning up the watery mess in my pants, he went on to say he was kidding about the trade...but has the gun....I'm headed over this week to check it out.

Now you know why I hate people with tons of disposable money....ahh...he's a good guy....He has to be good as he is a guy who has 4 like new 1895's in .405.---6
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

6.) I'd advertise it on Gunbroker with an emphasis on the serial number possibly making a 40-75% profit and then buying one that's slightly shot without the box.
That makes a lot of sense. For the price you might get if you wait patiently a bit, you could buy one replacement and LOTS of ammo, or a second shooter.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow! Thats good stuff, Jack! I saw a really nice 38 SRC a week or so ago. It was outta my price range. :D

I hear ya Doc. I gotta stew on if some..... :D
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Old win, some people might call that a dilemma but its all perspective..

I shoot a 1976 Bicentennial in 30-30.
I liked the fact that it was unfired... because I wanted to be the first one to fire my very first rifle I could call all mine. (Even if it was only in MY mind, lol)
It's a 20" shiny top eject - my version of the fancy cowboy rifle of my starry-eyed youth... but the serial # is 14 thou and change, not 25.

It was my first gun and I knew it was going to be a regular shooter, camping with family, and hopefully get my first deer with it (still!!).

Commemoratives were made more to enjoy and I have enjoyed mine immensely. When my family tells stories of our adventures together the collectability factor is quite personal and substantial.

Only if you can't find another would be my answer.. that's a nice bundle with a good number - a fine specimen, ripe for the collector crowd.

But....
If it floats your boat to shoot "that" kind of gun,
then no regrets.

To me, in a 100 years they'll all be collectors and I'll be long gone. As long as some are preserved, the rest are for the rest of us to fight over till all are gone.
My first child - '94 30-30
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Haven’t some of those commerative 1894’s got some great timber on them.
Yours has georgous timber.
Well.
A few years ago I bought a NIB commerative in 38-55 with timber almost as nice as yours.
I looked at it for a while, but just didn’t enjoy having it without shooting it.
So.
One weekend when I was heading out shooting with a couple of my mates I packed it in the ute and pulled it out when we were sighting in our rifles. Let a mate put the first few rounds through it and then shot it like crazy for a year or two.
We parted company when an original second year of production 1894 turned up for sale.
I loved it, loved shooting it and then sold it for a small profit to someone else who shoots it and loves it.
My suggestion.
The sad news I just read about another member passing made me think about how much longer I will be around to enjoy my toys. I get much more enjoyment from shooting them than looking at them, so if you are like me just start shooting that little beauty.
Just my thoughts.
Pop.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I can ease your pain... Mine is several thousand numbers above yours. Doesn't have a box either, nor papers (don't they get lost anyway)? It had a ding or two when I got it... it's got a few more now... I paid a little above your $275 for it... and could be talked into trading Trappers... maybe... :P :P :D

Besides, once you clean off the factory grease, they start depreciating!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey Griff! Haha, no, I paid 275 for the unfired pre-64 carbine I have. That was a few years ago. :roll:
I got a little more in this one, but still less than the going rate for an average one.
I'm still stewing on it. Guy at work last night offered to buy it but money wasn't discussed.
IDK, I just really like it. Can't explain why. Never really noticed em till I saw yours a couple years ago in a post.
This is your fault! :D