Colt Lawman MKIII

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Colt Lawman MKIII

Post by Bridger »

I've been wanting a Colt double action for a while, and went in the local gun store today and thought I had found the one. It was a Colt Lawman MK 3 in beautiful condition- looks like it had only been shot a few times and carried very little. Price was $895 and I was ready to pay up.

BUT, I found that on one cylinder if you pulled the hammer back very slow the bolt would not always fall into place in the cylinder. You had to turn it ever so slightly to get it to click into place after it was cocked. I showed it to the guy behind the counter and his first response was "well when are you going to be cocking it that slow?" I told him I didn't think it should matter, but that my gut was in my not lock up in double action shooting. Eventually he messed around with it and saw what I was talking about.

I wound up passing, but do you guys agree that the bolt should ALWAYS fall into place no matter how slow the gun is cocked? I'm just perplexed as to how this could be an issue on a gun that was in such great shape otherwise....maybe it's not a problem and it's just in my head or something....
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Colt Lawman MKIII

Post by Griff »

Knock a couple C notes off the price... and when it's in your possession, send it back to Colt with a letter explaining the problem.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Timing off. Simple for Colt or a good smith to fix. But I'd not pay that price for one needing repairs.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One thing I've liked about all the Rugers I've handled is their very definitive cylinder timing and lockup, but like the others said, not hard for a gunsmith to fix, and likely you'd never work it that slowly (even then, if it is lined up enough for a primer detonation, it should fire safely).

I thought those were getting scarce enough I probably would have bought it anyway, but it is certainly a good excuse to haggle the price down some of you can. :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1894c

Post by 1894c »

that's the same issue that I've experienced with Colt revolvers and the reason why I walked away, even though they are sooooo cool... :)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

It's the nature of the beast....while I'm no mechanical engineer nor a gunsmith I can only relate what I have experienced in hundreds of Colt double actions over the years.....

I've seen what you have described in new Colts and most of mine do the same...some hardly fired.....all with dates of manufacture from 1900 or so to the eighties. The Colt New Service Target in my avatar does it.

When slowly pulling the hammer back...until it locks up, you can still move the cylinder just a hair until the bolt locks in the notch. Do this.......slowly ...slowly....pull the hammer back until it locks up......pay attention here.......then while holding the hammer and pulling the trigger, you will see the cylinder move on its own to lock up.

My Python, Detective Special, and Shooting Master do it......all hand fitted guns and timed by the best craftsmen.

It has something to do with the mechanics that are over my head.

As my cousins in South Philly say, "don't worry bout it".----6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Gramps old Army Special does just as Six described. I figgered in that case, it was wear though.
She's seen a heap o' country.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:35 pm Gramps old Army Special does just as Six described. I figgered in that case, it was wear though.
Jay, see if those two Colts you pilfered from my safe do it. It's my own fault...lettting you in there with that big Buffalo coat. :D

No, it's not wear....I was just playing with the 1878 Colt "Alaskan" which has a real weird lock up....no cylinder notches....these two prongs stick out and grab the cylinder....loose as hell....and then while letting the hammer down....easily..it ightens up...tight!----6
Model A Uzi’s
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Thanks for the input guys. I'm still trying to decide what to do.
The deal is, I just paid off my student loans and am completely debt free now. As a result I had decided to buy myself something special at the end of this month and I have always wanted a Colt something. I had made my mind up that I was going to order a new series 80 1911. But as I was browsing in the local gun store the other day I saw the Lawman and honestly I would prefer to have a revolver, so I examined it pretty close. What a beautiful gun it is- I was instantly in love.
I'm going to go back and look at it again with Sixgun's advice in mind. I called Colt the other day and asked if they would work on it but they referred me to cylinder and slide. C&S quoted me approx $130+ shipping to fix a timing issue depending on what they find.

Either way I plan to shoot the snot out of whatever I get and carry it a lot to so I want something that's going to be reliable. And as I said it's gotta have the pony on the side :D
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:17 pm
OldWin wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:35 pm Gramps old Army Special does just as Six described. I figgered in that case, it was wear though.
Jay, see if those two Colts you pilfered from my safe do it. It's my own fault...lettting you in there with that big Buffalo coat. :D

No, it's not wear....I was just playing with the 1878 Colt "Alaskan" which has a real weird lock up....no cylinder notches....these two prongs stick out and grab the cylinder....loose as hell....and then while letting the hammer down....easily..it ightens up...tight!----6
Come on, bro, you know me better than that! If I'm gonna sneak a couple outta Six's "Vault of Treasures" I'm gonna take nothing but the best! Both examples look unfired. Perfect, with beautiful colors. :D
I propped the door open with an engraved 92 carbine and looked em all over good. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay,
Speaking of propping up the door, once I needed to prop the door and the only thing I had available was a Volcanic serial number 22.....so I used that.----6

Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I got nothin' man...........nothin'. :D

Serious though, I didn't know that about the Colt DA's till just a little while ago. I only have 2. Gramps and a Detective Special, but it's NIB.
I've shot Gramps old Army Special though. It's actually quite accurate. And I'd say it's been shot a lot.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Bridger wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:15 am Thanks for the input guys. I'm still trying to decide what to do.
The deal is, I just paid off my student loans and am completely debt free now. As a result I had decided to buy myself something special at the end of this month and I have always wanted a Colt something. I had made my mind up that I was going to order a new series 80 1911. But as I was browsing in the local gun store the other day I saw the Lawman and honestly I would prefer to have a revolver, so I examined it pretty close. What a beautiful gun it is- I was instantly in love.
I'm going to go back and look at it again with Sixgun's advice in mind. I called Colt the other day and asked if they would work on it but they referred me to cylinder and slide. C&S quoted me approx $130+ shipping to fix a timing issue depending on what they find.

Either way I plan to shoot the snot out of whatever I get and carry it a lot to so I want something that's going to be reliable. And as I said it's gotta have the pony on the side :D
Go for the Lawman. They're a cool old revolver, and like Sixgun says, that "timing issue" is not a problem. It is, however, a way some folks have managed to get $$$ knocked off the price of a "damaged" sixgun. The Colt isn't designed to be worked slowly and I'm sure if you run it normally it'll lock up just fine. I've wanted to get my paws on one of those since a friend showed me his as new in box unfired Lawman way back when. He passed away and his widow disposed of it through another "friend". Anyway, if you're wanting a pistol with panache as a reward for paying off your debts, that's one that should fill the bill!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
pcmacd
Levergunner

Post by pcmacd »

Oh, man.

I've a Trooper Mk III NIB never been fired.
  • I'll fix that shortly.
It even came with the box.

Bought it for around $325.

Must be worth 2x->3x in that condition.

So, should I sell it for profit unfired, then buy a shooter? Or just shoot it? I'm not a collector; I am an accumlator and generally don't buy stuff to make money on it, meaning, IF I BUY IT? i GENERALLY SHOOT IT!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

pcmacd wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:33 pm Oh, man.

I've a Trooper Mk III NIB never been fired.
  • I'll fix that shortly.
It even came with the box.

Bought it for around $325.

Must be worth 2x->3x in that condition.

So, should I sell it for profit unfired, then buy a shooter? Or just shoot it? I'm not a collector; I am an accumlator and generally don't buy stuff to make money on it, meaning, IF I BUY IT? i GENERALLY SHOOT IT!
Firearms are meant to be fired. If you're not into collecting, why not shoot it? Keeping it pristine, unfired for someone else to store in the depths of a safe is counterproductive to the purpose for which it was designed and produced. Why not enjoy it yourself in the way in which it was designed to be used?
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Griff wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:50 pm Knock a couple C notes off the price... and when it's in your possession, send it back to Colt with a letter explaining the problem.
I don't believe Colt will still perform service work on the Lawmans or most of their other older revolvers.
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

That's sort-of the nature of the beast as mentioned. The Colt DA design doesn't work like a S&W or Ruger DA revolver. As long as it gets pretty close to bolting-up when cocked and doesn't 'carry-over' when cocked fast or in double action it's likely fine.