Thinning Liquid Alox

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Thinning Liquid Alox

Post by 765x53 »

I always warmed liquid Alox to avoid thinning it. that has been hard to do in an unheated garage lately.
I have found that VM&P Naphtha (Varnish Makers & Painters Naphtha) works much better than mineral spirits. It dries much faster and the coating seems to be harder and less sticky. In addition, it is the correct fluid for your Zippo lighter and your Jon-e hand warmer.
Unless I want I want to dip bases of center fire bullets or an extra thick coating on ML conicals, I don't believe I'll hesitate to thin Liquid Alox.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Re: Thinning Liquid Alox

Post by gundownunder »

Back when I used straight liquid alox, I used to warm both the alox and the bullets. That way I got a very thin even coat.
Then I switched to pan lubing with 3 equal parts alox, lithium grease, and bees wax.
Now I use Hi-Tec coating, and don't see myself changing back, ever.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Very good results with Ben's Liquid Lube:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... iquid-Lube

Works very well!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

In his book, Lee writes about mixing Alox with strong rubbing alcohol and using a spray bottle. Never tried it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Just be careful with VM&P naphtha after using mineral spirits. Mineral spirits is classified as combustible, i.e. flash point greater than 100 degrees F. VM&P naphtha is flammable with a flash point less than 100 degrees and even below room temperature. What was not a serious fire hazard with mineral spirits can turn into a serious fire hazard and inhalation hazard, especially in a more confined space due to the much greater vapor pressure of the naphtha.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Beaker wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:51 pm Just be careful with VM&P naphtha after using mineral spirits. Mineral spirits is classified as combustible, i.e. flash point greater than 100 degrees F. VM&P naphtha is flammable with a flash point less than 100 degrees and even below room temperature. What was not a serious fire hazard with mineral spirits can turn into a serious fire hazard and inhalation hazard, especially in a more confined space due to the much greater vapor pressure of the naphtha.
As would be indicated by its use as lighter fluid.