model 94 williams sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nichos94
Levergunner

model 94 williams sight

Post by nichos94 »

hey gents and gals,

this is my first post on here so here we go!

I inherited my great grandfathers model 94 winchester and recently installed a williams receiver sight. my question is would a .500 front sight post work perfect with this sight? i’m a little strappedfor cash so shooting for zeroing isn’t common for me at the moment. thank you .
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: model 94 williams sight

Post by OldWin »

First, welcome to the fire! This is a great bunch.
I'm not sure what you have for a 94. If its a 20" carbine that was originally drilled and tapped for a receiver sight, then it probably has a ramp front sight. I, myself, have never had to change a front on one of these carbines to zero a receiver sight.
If it's an earlier carbine that has the block and pin front sight, a post can easily be made. I use old Master Lock keys.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Welcome to the fire. Post us some pics or maybe the serial no. and we'll be more help. I've never had to change a front sight to zero a receiver sight either. You could always get close by using one of those laser bore sighters. They're pretty cheap.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

First thing you want to do is see if you can adjust the receiver sight so that it and the rear sight (you haven't removed that yet, have you?) are aiming at the same spot. That'll tell you real quick and without burning up any ammunition if you might need another front sight.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have several set up like yours and have never had to have a taller front sight to zero with factory ammo,either
150 or 170 grain. Shoot it first and see.
Welcome to the board !!!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Welcome t the forum. Like several others here I have put several of the Williams sight on Winchester 94 carbines with out any problems with the front sight. All of them were almost zeroed and only required a couple of rounds to be on zero.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Some say they have never had to replace the original front sight with a higher one to use with a receiver sight; I have never been so lucky. Every receiver sight I have ever installed on a levergun, over a dozen of them, required a higher front. The easy way to tell if you need a new one without shooting -- if the original rear sight is still in place and zeroed, put the receiver sight on and sight through it. If the receiver sight, rear sight, and front all line up properly, your front sight will work with the new sight. If, though, you see that the front sight is not dead-on elevation-wise in the receiver sight while aligned with the old rear sight, you need a higher front.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to the fire, pardner - we hope you set awhile, and chew the fat with us. :)

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:22 pm I have several set up like yours and have never had to have a taller front sight to zero with factory ammo,either
150 or 170 grain. Shoot it first and see.
Welcome to the board !!!
Me either.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "