The Benefit of Muzzleloaders for DIYers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

The Benefit of Muzzleloaders for DIYers

Post by Old No7 »

By no means am I a talented craftsman the likes of Pitchy or all the others who post about their knives, guns or others creations on this site...

But for those who may want to have the satisfaction of making changes to or upgrading their gear, or maybe making their own gear from scratch, I think that's a side benefit of shooting muzzleloaders versus leverguns or modern rifles, etc. With some basic materials and hand tools, and a lot of ideas or desire and just a little skill, you can easily turn out functional and good-looking "period correct" accessories.

I didn't make these two items, but I did enjoy the task of modifying them for my own use. I'm pleased with how these changes came out, and I have a feeling I'll be doing more D-I-Y blackpowder/muzzleloading projects soon too. :wink:

First off, I had gotten a 72" long brown-striped wool blanket rifle case for a great price on Etsy and liked how the colors complemented the brown stripes of the straps for my powder horn and possibles bag. My twin brother had suggested that I add some leather patches so my long flintlock's muzzle or other metal parts wouldn't work their way through the blanket covering.

It was too tough to add them on the inside, since the case is so narrow, so I ended up adding them on the outside. And I did my first-ever blanket stitch too! I think this came out pretty well at the muzzle:

Blanket Rifle Case 01 (Small).jpg

Then I also added some leather patches where the rear sight and lock are located, with the leather patch doubled in thickness at the very top for the lock:

Blanket Rifle Case 02 (Small).jpg

And then, since for now I'm using a short starter on my rifle, I added this simple "holster" like ones I'd seen on some of the nicer bags on Track Of The Wolf and other sites. I have to thank my twin for passing me his old hand-me-down when he just upgraded to a nicer bag, and by sheer luck and/or serendipity, the bag's strap was an exact match for my powder horn. The little holster works well for the deer antler starter I bought from Maine gunmaker Roy Stroh at the recent "Ancient Ones Blackpowder Gun Show" in Maine --- it's a nicely made one, and I like it:

Short Starter Holster (Small).jpg

That's it. Tight groups to all!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Benefit of Muzzleloaders for DIYers

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Very nice , and yes,muzzle loaders do offer lots of need for gadgets like powder measures, horns,ball starters etc. that one can make.
If there is a small private slauter house(meat cutter) near by, have them keep a lookout for cow horns and large bones. Both make for great project materials. I had a next door neighbor that brought me horns from time to time. He would even boil the cores out of them at his work. I'd find them hanging on my fence in front of my shop. :D
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nice work #7 :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice work No.7. 8)
Here`s a couple items that are handy, pan primmer and vent pick .

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I enjoyed finding authentic items to go in my possible's bag, often marking things was the only way to go. I still have flasks & powder horns etc but sadly no muzzle loader, I'm currently looking for a smooth bore muzzle loader, most likely a caplock.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I like playing with my frontstuffer stuff, too.

FWIW, If the leather re-inforcements were wanted to be placed inside the case, a soft leather or blanket case can be turned inside-out, and the patches sewn on before turning it right-side-out; and, if a sewing thread color was used that matched the case, the modification would be virtually invisible. :)