Rossi Puma with Puma head on receiver?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Rossi Puma with Puma head on receiver?

Post by crs »

Griff, RickyK, ?
A hunting friend dropped by yesterday with an interesting estate sale purchase that included several holstered single action revolvers and a few long guns that he had just purchased. A quick look showed an interesting Rossi lever action with a Puma/cat face image on the left side of the receiver; I do not know the caliber.

Would you be interested in going over this haul with us to sort out the best from the rest?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rossi Puma with Puma head on receiver?

Post by fordwannabe »

The puma headed model 92's are Rossi's that were imported in the 1980's. When I got mine (16inch in 357) it already had a metal mag follower, and a couple other items that they dont come with today. A call to Steve's Gunz and a replacement spring, with a little fine tuning has made this a very reliable carbine. Watch COL for best reliability.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Thanks, Ford.
Friend reports this morning that is a 38/357 and he shot it with .38 last evening and it is right on, including the red dot sight. It looks to be in very good condition.
I would buy it if I did not already have a M92 .357.

The revolvers are a mixed bag of Ruger.357, 44 mag, and a .30 carbine German copy of a Ruger to match a .30 carbine in the mix. Again, I have all the hand guns I need, so he will have no trouble moving those Rugers and S&W M39 (have those already too).
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The Puma is a Rossi, marked with the LSI (Legacy Sports International) owned trademark, which use has since been transferred (rented) to Chiappa (Italy) on some of their Winchester clones.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Charles,

My son has one of those "Puma" Rossis that he used when he started cowboy action, a 20" carbine in .38/.357. They are a VERY accurate little carbine, I'd slicked his up using the same techniques that NKJ has in his video... but, back then, nobody published any info or 'how-to's', let alone sold replacement springs. So it ain't quite as smooth as one of NKJ's. But, I know someone that, at one time, seriously wanted one. I'm in Salt Lake City til tomorrow, then headed off to Arkansas and won't be home til late Wednesday or Thursday.

I'd be happy to take a look. Is next Sunday too late?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Griff where are you going to be in Arkansaw??
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JerryB wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:41 pmGriff where are you going to be in Arkansaw??
Jonesboro. If I get good weather & roads, I'll be there sometime late Tuesday or early Wednesday.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

OK, thanks just to far for me right now.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

We had a Rossi Puma in the early 1980's as well, with the cat's head logo and the saddle ring, it was in .44-40.

I believe that Rossi copied the Winchester 92 design from familiarity with the Tigre carbines that Brazil was full of - the Puma logo was their own version of the Tigre cat on those rifles. I am not sure when they stopped putting the Puma badge or logo on the side of the receiver, probably the early '90's. But they still sell them as Rossi "Puma" carbines today.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Griff,
Thanks for the info. It turns out that the Puma may be up for sale as Jim already has a slicked up Rossi in .38/357 and does not want another. :)

I will check with him later today on his schedule WRT cleaning all his new found treasures; is seems there are other duplicates to guns in his safe.

Travel safely.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you're thinking of getting rid of the .357 let me know.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Carlsen Highway wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:07 am

I believe that Rossi copied the Winchester 92 design from familiarity with the Tigre carbines that Brazil was full of - the Puma logo was their own version of the Tigre cat on those rifles.

I am not sure when they stopped putting the Puma badge or logo on the side of the receiver, probably the early '90's.

But they still sell them as Rossi "Puma" carbines today.

Er, with all due respect, not quite.........................

The brand "Puma" is a wholly-owned registered US trademark that's owned by Legacy Sports International ( LSI - a US firearms importer) - so the only ones that can legally use the Puma brand on firearms (besides LSI) are those who lease the use of the trademark name from the owner, usually under contract for a defined period of time.

For a time (about 30-35 years ago), LSI leased the use of the Puma name to Rossi (Brazil) - which contract had run it's course & expired awhile back.

Currently, LSI is leasing the trademark to Chiappa Firearms (formerly Armi Sport, Italy), who uses it for some of their levergun production (Models 71 & 1886/86, mostly).

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Carlsen Highway wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:07 am We had a Rossi Puma in the early 1980's as well, with the cat's head logo and the saddle ring, it was in .44-40.

I believe that Rossi copied the Winchester 92 design from familiarity with the Tigre carbines that Brazil was full of - the Puma logo was their own version of the Tigre cat on those rifles. I am not sure when they stopped putting the Puma badge or logo on the side of the receiver, probably the early '90's. But they still sell them as Rossi "Puma" carbines today.
Actually, Brazil was full of both the Winchester 1873 (which was known popularly as the "Papo Amarelo" - the yellow throat, from the brass cartridge lifter) and the Winchester '92 - both of them built by WInchester. Can't recall the popular name for the '92 right off the top of my head, but there were oodles of them around, mostly in 44-40. Don't recall ever seeing any of the Tigre rifles, that was a Spanish copy IIRC and there were enough original Winchesters to keep most impostors at bay. Rossi started building the Puma back in the '70's, IIRC. I can recall drooling over the one hanging in the gun store up in Belém. The old original Winchesters were highly prized by the miners, rubber workers, and cattlemen. One of our neighbors had an old original "Papo Amarelo" in 44-40 as well as the old original Winchester reloading tool with built in bullet mold. It was all rusted past hope of any rebuild from being left leaning in the corner of the old adobe house they lived in. Once they moved to town his hunting days were over and the rifle neglected. Neglect and residue from the black powder loads soon did their nasty work. It was fascinating to listen to him reminisce about the days of yore and his hunting experiences back when game was plentiful.

Anyway, nice find on the old Puma. I've longed to get my mitts on one since that day in Belém. Only time will tell if I ever manage to track one down!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Pete44ru wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:11 pm

I believe that Rossi copied the Winchester 92 design from familiarity with the Tigre carbines that Brazil was full of - the Puma logo was their own version of the Tigre cat on those rifles.

I am not sure when they stopped putting the Puma badge or logo on the side of the receiver, probably the early '90's.

The brand "Puma" is a wholly-owned registered US trademark that's owned by Legacy Sports International ( LSI - a US firearms importer) - so the only ones that can legally use the Puma brand on firearms (besides LSI) are those who lease the use of the trademark name from the owner, usually under contract for a defined period of time.

For a time (about 30-35 years ago), LSI leased the use of the Puma name to Rossi (Brazil) - which contract had run it's course & expired awhile back.

Currently, LSI is leasing the trademark to Chiappa Firearms (formerly Armi Sport, Italy), who uses it for some of their levergun production (Models 71 & 1886/86, mostly).

Do you think that might be just an American thing? They sell them as Rossi Puma's here in New Zealand still today.
Last edited by Carlsen Highway on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

AmBraCol wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:05 pm
Carlsen Highway wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:07 am We had a Rossi Puma in the early 1980's as well, with the cat's head logo and the saddle ring, it was in .44-40.

Actually, Brazil was full of both the Winchester 1873 (which was known popularly as the "Papo Amarelo" - the yellow throat, from the brass cartridge lifter) and the Winchester '92 - both of them built by WInchester. Can't recall the popular name for the '92 right off the top of my head, but there were oodles of them around, mostly in 44-40. Don't recall ever seeing any of the Tigre rifles, that was a Spanish copy IIRC and there were enough original Winchesters to keep most impostors at bay. Rossi started building the Puma back in the '70's, IIRC. I can recall drooling over the one hanging in the gun store up in Belém. The old original Winchesters were highly prized by the miners, rubber workers, and cattlemen. One of our neighbors had an old original "Papo Amarelo" in 44-40 as well as the old original Winchester reloading tool with built in bullet mold. It was all rusted past hope of any rebuild from being left leaning in the corner of the old adobe house they lived in. Once they moved to town his hunting days were over and the rifle neglected. Neglect and residue from the black powder loads soon did their nasty work. It was fascinating to listen to him reminisce about the days of yore and his hunting experiences back when game was plentiful.

Anyway, nice find on the old Puma. I've longed to get my mitts on one since that day in Belém. Only time will tell if I ever manage to track one down!
PAul, I have wanted to ask someone about the old Winchesters in South America, especially Brasil. I knew that actual Winchester 73's and92's should be common there, like it used to be in Australia and New Zealand also.
I thought that Rossi might have decided to do their own version of the '92 inspired by the Tigre SPanish rifles, and copied a similiar cat logo brand, and also had the front sight on the barrel band like the first Rossi's. (Unlike Winchesters) I read that as many as a million El Tigre rifles were exported to South America over the years.
What was the situation with the Winchester 94 in .30/30? Were they as common and popular?
(Are you in Columbia now?)
Mark Twain
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

PAul, I have wanted to ask someone about the old Winchesters in South America, especially Brasil. I knew that actual Winchester 73's and92's should be common there, like it used to be in Australia and New Zealand also.
I thought that Rossi might have decided to do their own version of the '92 inspired by the Tigre SPanish rifles, and copied a similiar cat logo brand, and also had the front sight on the barrel band like the first Rossi's. (Unlike Winchesters) I read that as many as a million El Tigre rifles were exported to South America over the years.
What was the situation with the Winchester 94 in .30/30? Were they as common and popular?
(Are you in Columbia now?)

The 94 was never as popular in Brazil as it was up in Mexico. In fact, never saw one there. Never saw any of the Spanish rifles either, my best guess being that they were sold to the Spanish speaking countries for the most part. With the tons of original Winchesters I'm assuming that they were the inspiration for the Rossi, but have no way of confirming that assumption. Brazil had an interesting and eclectic variation of oddball firearms imported over the years, mostly due to private persons bringing personal weapons but also due to the communist organizations trying to set up groups around the country which accounts for the military weapons not used by Brazilian forces but existent in out of the way places. Most of the long arms I saw (other than the ubiquitous "36 Caliber" 410 shotguns) were pistol caliber or 22 rimfire (vast majority were 22 rimfire).

Yes, we're in Colombia now. The firearms situation here is also highly restricted, but it's amazing what turns up. Saw an old Savage 99 in 250-3000 the other day, along with some perfect condition ammo from back in the 40's or 50's. All legal license, too. Saw a Marlin 39 marked "Remington" a while back, due to some idiot in the system not knowing what a Marlin was, leading the rifle to be remarked as a "Remington". Have heard of a few 94's here, haven't seen them. A friend has a 22 Hornet somewhere in his collection (I THINK it's in a Savage 24). Funny how old guns come out of the woodwork when I'm around. :lol:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Carlsen Highway wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:51 am
Do you think that might be just an American thing?

They sell them as Rossi Puma's here in New Zealand still today.

Your guess is as good as mine.............. :?:

I have no direct knowledge of LSI still licensing Rossi to use their trademark, but if new Rossi's are currently selling in Oz, I would think that LSI could have sued them for a trademark infringement - unless Rossi was still licensed for it's use, or is doing it w/o a license, thinking that there's nothing a US company can do about a manufacturer in another country selling goods marked with their trademark in a second foreign country.

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Pete44ru wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:11 pm

The Puma moniker was a carry over from Interarms, which was the distributor for the Puma head models (as well as many more years without, but still called Puma),...which was a name , but without the Puma head emblem, LSI continued to use when it "took over" from Interarms. When LSI ended their 92 line, Chiappa took over (assumed the use of) the Puma name, and continued to call its 92s as well as other rifles like it's 86 "Puma." We had a few of the Interarms Puma-head guns, and replaced the medallion with old Indian head nickles. Over the decades many folks generically referred to any Rossi 92--indeed any non-Winchester 92--as a "Puma," regardless of the distributor like EMF (which adopted the "Hartford" name), etc.