Shooting bench recommendations?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Larsen E. Whipsnade
Levergunner 1.0

Shooting bench recommendations?

Post by Larsen E. Whipsnade »

I'm hoping to set up a range at home so I don't have to drag all my gear, chronograph, etc., to the range when I'm trying to work up new loads. I know there are various benches on the market, but don't know much about them. First requirement is that it needs to be steady, of course, and if it levels easily for slightly irregular ground, that would be a plus. Also, I'm looking for something that will stand up well to the elements, as I'd like to leave it in place at least through the shooting season, if not year-round. To that end, weight and portability are not big concerns. I suppose the ideal solution would be to build my own & concrete it in, but I have to confess, I'm not very handy at that type of thing. So if anyone has any experience with a pre-fab bench they can recommend, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Thanks in advance.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shooting bench recommendations?

Post by JerryB »

For several years I used a big heavy picnic table, maybe not the best but my family sure fired a lot of rounds from it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Larsen E. Whipsnade
Levergunner 1.0

I hadn't thought of that, but it may be an option, depending on what else is out there - and might be cheaper than purpose-built, to boot.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Funny that you would ask that as last fall I took these pictures at the famous 1,000 yard Ridgway, Pa. Gun Club in case I wanted to do the same thing.

Simple...strong...and it will outlast anyone here. Make a mould, pour the cement, attach some legs, add a blanket when your ready to shoot. These babies DONT move.---6

Model A Uzi’s
Larsen E. Whipsnade
Levergunner 1.0

I like that! I'm not real handy with tools, but I might be able to manage that. It certainly would fill the bill as far as being steady & impervious to the elements. Would you pour that all at once, or in layers? I ask because I wonder how that would cure if poured all at once.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The picnic table idea certainly works well if it is a heavy well-built table. A lot of the cheaper ones you buy as kits are not very solid, but making one yourself with treated 2 by 6 and 2 by 10 lumber is not difficult. Another nice thing about a picnic table is it gives you lots of area to lay out your gear.

The concrete-top bench is going to be even better, or if you are sure you don't want to move it simply sink three or four posts in concrete using 4 x 4 Lumber, then build a heavy wooden table with those as your legs. Figure out the best height for you individually by taking a comfortable chair you want to use and trying different heights using C-clamps and scrap Lumber.

It is nice to have a bit of a lip or edge around the ends and sides of the table to keep brass or other small items from Rolling off. If you build something permanent consider one of the legs extending a couple feet above the table top so you can attach a spotting scope.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

The suggestions above are great.
I was going to suggest a Cabelas (San Angelo) table (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/73904 ... ting-bench)

They are very stable and portable. but leveling would have to be achieved with a shovel or shims.

But, once you mentioned leaving it out in the weather, that nixes the suggestion. The top is laminated with a good coating of (epoxy?) paint, so it looks impervious to water, but it's not. I left mine on the back porch (where I shoot from) and just splatter from rain absorbed in the edges of the laminate.

The concrete table is easy. Build a form on the ground and put wire or rod in it and pour it right there. When it sets up, put it on a set of legs you build of wood or metal. Not very portable, but sturdy.

If I had room, I would use a picnic table myself. A good heavy one. Most lumber yards like McCoys, et. al. will give you free plans, or I'm sure you can download them for free nowadays, to build a wooden table. Easier than assembling a kids swingset at Christmas.

I Googled "picnic table plans" and got a LOT of hits.
https://www.construct101.com/traditiona ... ble-plans/
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Larsen E. Whipsnade
Levergunner 1.0

Thanks for the response. I realize I could build my own, and if worst comes to worst, I may give that a try. The trouble is, when it comes to things like that, I'm handy-man impaired. I have a talent for turning simple 15 minute jobs into all-day disasters.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Maybe employ someone with the tools to help with trade of some bench time!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I second the picnic table. I cutout a piece of 3/4 " plywood to look like the top of a shooting bench. You can easily place it where You want and using 4-6 deck screws mount it on the table. takes less than a minute to remove it when it's time to eat. :D .
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If the plan is to not haul all your stuff to the bench, then you should probably consider a shooting shed, with a bench, vs. just the bench. Just a bench means you'll have to still haul everything out each time, and a shed would allow you to drop down a window cover, and lock the place up. You'd still haul your gun and ammo out, but everything else could be left locked inside.
I also wouldn't be concerned with making the bench adjustable, as I'd have an adjustable rest to leave on the bench so I could use it instead. I'd build the bench into the shooting shed, and pour a concrete floor. So the bench would be very solid as part of the building, and the building would allow shooting in all sorts of inclement weather. A small 6'-8' square building would do very well for shooting, so it doesn't need to cost a fortune to build. If there's power close you could add a light and plug too. If no power is close you could install an RV receptacle on the outside and feed the building with a temporary cord when you went out to shoot.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Larsen E. Whipsnade
Levergunner 1.0

I'd like to put up a shed eventually, but it's not in the cards right now. Based on the replies so far, I'm leaning towards the picnic table, at least short term. There's a place not far from me that sells them. I've never really looked closely at them, but if they seem sturdy enough, I might go with that. I was actually thinking of getting one to put by my fire pit. I like the idea of that concrete bench & if I eventually build that, I could move the picnic table to the fire pit. I'm still open to the idea of a pre-fab bench, though, if anyone that hasn't yet responded knows of one that fits my criteria. Again, thanks to everyone who replied.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Can't imagine myself ever sitting on a picnic table bench and resting my gun on the table. The benches are way too close to the table to be able to lean forward into your gun and rest. Maybe if the first board on the table top was removed, but not as they are built. Or maybe put the table lengthwise, and sit a chair at the end and use it that way.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Some picnic tables have independent benches, but even with such separate benches, I find it awkward to settle into a satisfactory shooting position. The shape of the concrete bench shown in the photos above is a big help for that. What I have is a heavy steel door set up on legs, which approximates a picnic table. Works OK, but could be better.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

If you build your own table, you can set the bench to tabletop height however you want it. The less you have to hunch over into it the better
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes, if I wanted a picnic table to serve as a shooting bench, I'd build it with separate benches and not even use the bench to shoot. Better to have a sturdy chair you can locate in a position for best comfort.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I envy anyone who has a "home range". That said, I'd lose my job and starve cause I'd never leave.
My range is close but not plowed in winter so I have to use an improvised winter range. I bought a Herters portable bench on sale at Cabelas. It has worked pretty well for me.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.