Gun magazines

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Gun magazines

Post by mikld »

I was in the market the other day and as usual I stopped by the magazine counter. As I was looking at all the gun mags on display, I got a really bad impression. Most of the magazine covers had something "tactical", either an AR, an AK, some pseudo swat member all decked out in the "tactical uniform" (camo clothing with ammo pouches, helmet, tactical shades, thigh length holster, bloused pants and boots). Many of the magazine titles were something like "Self Defense", " Concealed Carry", "Best Home Defense Weapons", "Ten Best AR15s" etc. If a person "on the fence" about gun control stood there looking at these magazine seeing nothing but how to shoot someone, (and out of the 10-12 magazines only two covers dealt with "sporting use" of guns), these magazines would push them over to full out anti-gun thinking.

I know that a lot of those magazines just want to sell to a specific group, but are we shooting ourselves in the foot?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Gun magazines

Post by AJMD429 »

its been that way for awhile.

Probably 1% of people are into 'guns' in the general (non-tactical) way, and maybe another 4% are into them as hunters or police officers or something where they use guns, but don't necessarily have 'guns' as their hobby.

But there are supposedly 80 million 'gun owners' out there, so another 15% or so of the population may own guns, but they are not for a hobby they are passionate about, nor a utilitarian item needed for hunting or occupational use. Those people probably only own them for 'self-defense' (or 'tactical') purposes, so that means the magazines those people are interested are not going to be about 'historic Colts' or 'reloading' or 'benchrest shooting' or 'guns for turkey hunting' or 'WW-II collectibles' ----- they are going to be either directed to men (stereotyping here, but that is the name and game of marketing) who want Ninja-stuff, or women who want advice on concealed carry.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Right now there is a 'Crat bill in Congress that would ban every single semi-automatic "anything" with a detachable mag... :roll: :roll: There's enough *&^$ing Rinos out there to make this problematic in that they will use the threat of a huge stick to get their desired stick.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Last week I bought a "Handloader" magazine for a .44spl article, probably average one every one or two years. You are right about the covers, they look like adds for the killer games they play.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have to agree with the OP, I quit reading gun rags years ago when they became "all black gun, all day long". Even the American Rifleman now is mostly black gun and combat pistol krapp. :cry: :cry:
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

You sure hit the nail on the head.
when your enemy is within range so are you
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Just picked up a gun magazine the other day called "Guns of the West" no black guns or tactical stuff in it at all.

Lots of interesting stuff in it.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I personally find it very difficult to defend the sales/use of bump stocks, and tactical hand/long guns that, while not fully-automatic firearms (aka machine guns/pistols), look like a threat to most folks who spot them being carried/used/etc.

I do defend them, though, because I know that by definition & design, laws against them will also include many more sporting-looking autoloaders.

I was glad to have nothing to do with them personally, after I was discharged from the service in 1966 - I had my fill of them while "in".

The main problem I see with them is that their use by mature adults can sometimes empower military/tactical style wanna-be's, who don't really understand them beyond the fact that they go bang relatively fast.

I mean no disrespect to any here that enjoy them, just ask all to remember that if any one is "hanged" singularly, then eventually we shall all be hung together (Tks, Ben Franklin).

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I don't see a problem with these kinds of articles/covers at all and I'm a guy who has been stashing antique Winchesters, Marlins, 'Smiths and Colts, among others for over forty years.

There probably would not be 1/10 of the tactical articles or a need for them in gun magazines if we did not have so many
lawless subhuman Muslims and other trash roaming the cities/suburbs looking to carelessly take the life out of decent folk who work for a living or raising their family in a Christian manner.

The cops can't handle them all.....they leave it up the civilians to defend themselves, their families, and the possessions they tirelessly work for.

I make no apologies to anyone on the guns I use or the magazines I read. A good AR (or a BAR :D) with hi-cap magazines will make the job easier should the need come. -----6
Model A Uzi’s
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

At the large supermarket where I work, they moved the magazine rack to the front of the store. there are 22 registers and hundreds of shoppers walk by it every day. after the last shooting I couldn't help but think how tacky the rows of rags with black rifles on the cover looked. "We" aren't shooting ourselves in the foot, the idiots selling the magazines sure are....
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'd guess that nothing has changed in the world of gun magazines. They do articles based on what sells magazines. It's easy to sell magazines with various black rifles and black handguns on the cover. Much tougher to sell magazines with vintage rifles and handguns on the cover.
Then there's the advertising end of the magazine industry. Advertisers are the same group that are pictured on the covers, so an AR15 decked out with all sorts of goodies gets more advertising dollars. The makers of these guns spend big money on advertising, as do the makers of accessories. Nobody wants to pay for advertising in a gun magazine that covers classic rifles or handguns.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Ohhhh the shame.... the SHAME... I'm a gun-owner and I'm sooo despicable because I own a tool that some liberal know-nothing disapproves of...

Woe... Oh, WOE...

I cannot bring myself to even look at photographs of guns I don't own without feeling soiled... Nay... DIRTY. Just DIRTY.

IF only someone would come and take all these horrid instruments of death AWAYYYYY.

Whhiiiinneee... Whimper... Gnash... Roll... Mooan...

:roll:

:lol: :lol:

Looks like the propaganda is working.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

FWiedner wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:45 pm Looks like the propaganda is working.
Not on everyone, you and I included...nor the NRA

These "assault" weapons have been available to the general public since the 1860's, starting with the Henry...through the Winchesters, FULL automatics (until 1934)......M-1 Garands and carbines..on and on. Why is all this pelosi happening NOW?

As a kid, most of my friends father's were WW2 vets and these guys had a M-1 carbine in the house somewhere. At deer camp every year these guys brought them up to play before opening day. The M-1 was my first gun I ever shot and IIRC I was about 6.

good thing these punks don't know what a pump shotgun loaded with #4 buckshot will do

The Muslim attacks in the last 30 years has forced our military to raid the sand-n----rs homeland and the result of this has exposed our young soldiers to covet the AR style much more than the V.N. vets. God bless these young soldiers because without them the only support for citizens with "assault" guns would be a bunch of old white guys, like most of us here and that will fade out in the next 20 years or so as we kick the bucket.

Good! I HOPE every gun magazine promotes these black guns as much as possible. The proliferation and popularity of black guns is a HUGE deterrent against criminally minded people (illegals, inner city thugs, liberal government, Muslims) from messing with the freedoms of decent folk while they are bypassing the fruits of THEIR labor which is causing the problems.....mass immigration of trash, the closing of mental hospitals, appeasing the lazy, poor parenting and about a million other reasons that the older generation of citizens never experienced when they were young.

Sissies give in and appease while the libs are out for blood. Let the chips fall where they may as I'm not paying for the mindless actions of others

Like the NRA says, "STAND AND FIGHT".....let's not turn into a Europe as a nation of pussies.---6
Last edited by Sixgun on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

It just goes to show you how important it is to get folks that are on the fence, out shooting or hunting. Show them responsible behavior with guns and how most Americans (or whomever) can enjoy the ownership and use of them. It's a lot bigger impact on a person when they participate rather than get talked to. I've taken Manny people to my club shoots and they see the fun involved with people that they would see in public not knowing their (shooters). Once you get them reeled in then they start to realise the importance of our 2nd amendment and what it means. Being in So. Cal it's double duty for me so I am proud (enabler).
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:16 pm
FWiedner wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:45 pm Looks like the propaganda is working.
Not on everyone, you and I included...nor the NRA

These "assault" weapons have been available to the general public since the 1860's, starting with the Henry...through the Winchesters, FULL automatics (until 1934)......M-1 Garands and carbines..on and on. Why is all this pelosi happening NOW?

As a kid, most of my friends father's were WW2 vets and these guys had a M-1 carbine in the house somewhere. At deer camp every year these guys brought them up to play before opening day. The M-1 was my first gun I ever shot and IIRC I was about 6.

good thing these punks don't know what a pump shotgun loaded with #4 buckshot will do

The Muslim attacks in the last 30 years has forced our military to raid the sand-n----rs homeland and the result of this has exposed our young soldiers to covet the AR style much more than the V.N. vets. God bless these young soldiers because without them the only support for citizens with "assault" guns would be a bunch of old white guys, like most of us here and that will fade out in the next 20 years or so as we kick the bucket.

Good! I HOPE every gun magazine promotes these black guns as much as possible. The proliferation and popularity of black guns is a HUGE deterrent against criminally minded people (illegals, inner city thugs, liberal government, Muslims) from messing with the freedoms of decent folk while they are bypassing the fruits of THEIR labor which is causing the problems.....mass immigration of trash, the closing of mental hospitals, appeasing the lazy, poor parenting and about a million other reasons that the older generation of citizens never experienced when they were young.

Sissies give in and appease while the libs are out for blood. Let the chips fall where they may as I'm not paying for the mindless actions of others

Like the NRA says, "STAND AND FIGHT".....let's not turn into a Europe as a nation of pussies.---6
Yep....
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

m.wun wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:05 am It just goes to show you how important it is to get folks that are on the fence, out shooting or hunting. Show them responsible behavior with guns and how most Americans (or whomever) can enjoy the ownership and use of them. It's a lot bigger impact on a person when they participate rather than get talked to. I've taken Manny people to my club shoots and they see the fun involved with people that they would see in public not knowing their (shooters). Once you get them reeled in then they start to realise the importance of our 2nd amendment and what it means. Being in So. Cal it's double duty for me so I am proud (enabler).
Double-yep.....

Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I don’t usually look at or read articles like the ones in question and usually wear blue jeans and flannel shirts. But am considering another AR or AK soon.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I have three or four stripped lowers that I have been procrastinating building into complete EBRs. Ordered the lower parts kits a week back. Came today. No reason to delay any longer.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

If you wanna sell anything nowadays you just paint it black and call it tactical.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I used to subscribe to a dozen different magazines at one time until I got AR/1911 burn out. I personally own several of both guns but just how much can be said about either that is fresh and not done a million times? Now I get Handloader,Rifle, the Fouling Shot and that is it.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Even for those of us who own these "offensive" fun guns, it still gets old seeing the same old articles done over and over. I stopped buying any gun magazines simply because I got bored and didn't read most articles. But they didn't offend me, they simply bored me to death!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Just a reminder, I just made an observation on the covers of most gun magazines in the magazine racks open to the public view. To a non-gun person (not necessarily anti-gun) they could get the impression that all gun folks run around in BDUs carrying an automatic rifle looking for someone to shoot...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...