'New safe'

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

'New safe'

Post by GunnyMack »

I got a call from a friend a week or so back about a Cabelas 24 gun safe he knew was for sale. I told him I'd take it if the price was good, $800 maybe a little on the high side but I really need it.
I have a pickup, trailer and a bad back, all my buddies have new hips/ knees, back or shoulder issues so I hired a moving company. Another 350 but that was the cheapest price I got from 3 companies- money well spent if ya ask me!
They showed up with a pallet jack, furniture dolly, carts and a ramp as well as lift gate, all bases covered.

So as I'm filling the safe with my collection of fine schootin irons, I have proven that guns can and do reproduce in dark places! How did I end up with 2 Hi Standard Field King .22 pumps...? Wait where did I get both a Remington 552 and a 572!?- For the life of me I really can't remember buying those! Maybe I should put my 2 Perazzi's in a closet with some romantic music & a bottle of wine!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 'New safe'

Post by JerryB »

Sounds like you got a deal on the safe and the guns. My old Colt and a 92 32wcf must not care for anyone else in there. My luck they are like mules, no offspring.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I know the feeling. I had to get a larger safe a couple months back....but my hunting buddy and I were the moving company on one end. Fortunately my son, the former college defensive lineman and dedicated gym rat, and his friend were available when I got home. That end was much easier.....put it right there boys.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I understand, this is a photo of the safe (Largest Liberty in stock) I had to move out of a house in WV to a new location. I and another LEO loaded and unloaded the safe in a Temp location while I waited for ATF approval on moving my firearms to a new location. The "Safe Dolly" was the best rental I have ever paid for.

It is not the critic who counts
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Paladin wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:42 pmI and another LEO loaded and unloaded the safe in a Temp location while I waited for ATF approval on moving my firearms to a new location.
I never heard of that requirement.....is that because of NFA stuff, or what...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

My wife helped me move my 40 gun safe from the shop (where I used a chain hoist to lift it out of my truck) to the house (about 150 feet) using schedule 40 PVC. Used a slightly larger pipe to ease it over the threshold.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:00 pm
Paladin wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:42 pmI and another LEO loaded and unloaded the safe in a Temp location while I waited for ATF approval on moving my firearms to a new location.
I never heard of that requirement.....is that because of NFA stuff, or what...?
Yes, the NFA stuff was the reason.
It is not the critic who counts
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

vancelw wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:48 amMy wife helped me move my 40 gun safe from the shop (where I used a chain hoist to lift it out of my truck) to the house (about 150 feet) using schedule 40 PVC. Used a slightly larger pipe to ease it over the threshold.
When I bought mine, I got a "gunshow special"... The builder gets to display it at the next gun show in your area, then delivers to your door... When he showed up and told me I would be his helper for the move-in, I 'bout rectally divested myself of bricks! Then he unloaded these dozen or so ¾" schedule 40 plastic pipes... Easiest move ever! The "Professonal" mover that moved me from CA to TX used a refrigerator dolly... and proceeded to scratch the paint... about 2" wide for the depth of the safe. Cost them $900 to get it repainted! Luckily it wasn't the front, as the custom oil painting would have cost about that many thousands more... I'm sure!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Griff wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:17 am Then he unloaded these dozen or so ¾" schedule 40 plastic pipes... Easiest move ever! The "Professonal" mover that moved me from CA to TX used a refrigerator dolly... and proceeded to scratch the paint...
Not everything needs brute force, huh? Those ancient Egyptians (or their slaves) knew something....
I never thought the PVC would hold it, but I had a couple of 20' sticks in the shop and thought I'd give it a try before I went to buy dowels or pipe.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have a buddy of mine that was a truck driver years ago on the Alaska pipe line project. He said he used to carry a bundle of hardwood dowel rods along with a heavy duty crow bar. He would use the crow bar to raise pallets of freight up in the trailer the put the dowels under them to roll them to the back of the trailer where they could be lifted off the back of the trailer.
I did the same thing to move a utility shed on my property years ago. I was surprised at how little effort it took me to move the shed once I got it up on top of the rollers.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Grats on the safe and getting it moved, yep I`ve moved 3,000 lb. engines across the garage floor on steel pipe so I could get to it with the loader on the tractor.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
BlackKnight
Levergunner

Post by BlackKnight »

vancelw wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:33 am
Griff wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:17 am Then he unloaded these dozen or so ¾" schedule 40 plastic pipes... Easiest move ever! The "Professonal" mover that moved me from CA to TX used a refrigerator dolly... and proceeded to scratch the paint...
Not everything needs brute force, huh? Those ancient Egyptians (or their slaves) knew something....
I never thought the PVC would hold it, but I had a couple of 20' sticks in the shop and thought I'd give it a try before I went to buy dowels or pipe.
I'll have to remember this if we move that (insert expletives here) piano. Or we have this cabinet-thing with a 2'x5'x3" thick piece of flagstone... calculated weight was over 300lbs. I hate that cabinet, but my wife likes it, so... yah.

-BK
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the campfire BK.
PM sent.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.