Neat little Locking Ammo-can Project

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Neat little Locking Ammo-can Project

Post by AJMD429 »

Took about 5 minutes, a bench-vice, chunk of wood (or rubber mallet), and a round file. Probably could do it without filing, if the bend were less than 90 degrees. Just need the right size lock. The resettable combination lock shown worked perfectly; the can can fully shut with the lock on, and when in the position shown (the maximum it can 'open', the waterproof seal appears still to be tight.
Locking Ammo Can.jpg
If you double-click on the photo, you can enlarge it and see the details.

Hard to see in the photo, but the narrow-most 'tip' of the latch gets bent out at an angle, so the wire end-handle gets caught on it as long as a lock is there to keep it 'up'. Of course the wire could be cut (or the whole box just picked up and walked off with), but it is an easy way to minimize problems with personal stuff if camping or sharing space with a roommate or whatever.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Neat little Locking Ammo-can Project

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Good idea ! Thanks.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea Doc...something you did is a great common sense procedure that's popular but seldom talked about. My bud sells about every size ever made, including the ones that held rockets of some sort.......like 2 feet X 2 feet by one foot...just guessing but they are big, heavy, and quality constructed. A few lags through the bottom makes it a mini safe.

What amazes me is that the military uses these things one time...(I think).......then off to surplus they go....never could figure that out.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I grabbed my 50 cal can the other day, then remembered it was FULL of .40S&W's! No picking that sucker up! Then found some 30 cal cans that were empty- now full of 223's. Gee I need more cans for 308 now!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool idea 8) ya gave me another idea :idea:
If ya drill the hole all the way through into the can then take one of those receiver hitch pins with the lock on the end and stick it through the hole then mark it flush on the inside then cut it off then weld it in on the inside.
The handle would close flush then stick the lock on the end of the shaft, bingo :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've got some my dad built using U bolts through the can. Then he drilled two holes in the latch and cut a slot between the holes. The U bolt goes through the slot when the latch is closed and then a padlock through the U bolt to secure it. He just kept papers in them under the bed.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I forgot to mention, a short length of medium-weight chain will go on the lock as well, so the can may be secured to a railing, pipe, bedframe, etc.

I just like it because there is no violation of the can's air-tightness, and basically no tooling or machining needed - just bend the latch and if you bend it too much (45 degrees ideal I think) you can use a hand-file and still have the project done in under 5 minutes.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "