Finally did it...a black gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Finally did it...a black gun

Post by Old Time Hunter »

And not a Black Shadow either...

They were delivered yesterday...a couple of S&W M&P 15 Sport II's, even though I do have an AK in my barn....never had much of a thought to have something that reminded me of a time long ago. Well now I do.

Might even try 'em out next week 'yote hunting.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Finally did it...a black gun

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have two AR15's, I sold the third one to my brother last year. They are very accurate and fun to shoot.
Have fun !!!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool beans Old Time Hunter, enjoy. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

They have their uses and you can get different uppers if you get a desire for more calibers on the same lower. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have an AR15 that my grandson in Texas built for me. Like Chuck said they are accurate and fun, but I don't think I would grab it out of the safe first, it would be one of the 94 30-30 carbine or the Rossi .357 carbine.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

The second amendment wasn't about hunting, it was about defending ourselves from evil governments, "in those days England".
Makes sense to me to have an AR-15. In Switzerland every household is required to have a shooting rifle.
I'm sure this has been discussed to death.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Fun toys, but not something to bet your life on.

And, they work well on coyotes.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've been considering it. At my level of retirement income...well, I already have a nice GunSite Scout Rifle in .308, an 870 Tactical, and several good .357, .429, and .452 "hand launchers". And, that's just scratching the surface. If I get a chunk of money, maybe I'll get one in .308.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I never had one until right before the last presidential election . NowI've got 4 lowers and six uppers AR-15 and 10 .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

You will be surprised at the accuracy ....these are not your older brothers AR Colt Sporters........stick 25 grains of either Rl-15, 4895, Varget, BL-C2, or any powder of that burn rate behind a 69 gr. Sierra BRHP MatchKing and you will bust clay birds on the bank up to 500 meters......easily.....a good beginner scope is the Nikon .223.....it has elevation notches for each distance out to 500. No dialing...just use the next notch up.

My son just called me to tell me about his newest purchase....LWRC CSASS .308.....35 C-Notes...he has the disease bad.---6
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JerryB wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:59 pm......they are accurate and fun, but I don't think I would grab it out of the safe first, it would be one of the 94 30-30 carbine or the Rossi .357 carbine.
Depends on what's outside...and how many of em....and whether they have fangs and claws, or guns.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I have one in 223, 308, and 458socom, you never know whats outside.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
44/40
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44/40 »

Like Legos for grown ups, they are a great and versatile platform. For instance, I'd always thought the short Russian (7.62X39) had the potential to be a very accurate cartridge - in the right platform. (seems like Ruger & otbers just got the memo). Last year, I spent about $350 for a for a complete 7.62X39 upper for my Colt Competition, and wow ! It now gets more trigger time than the 5.56 upper. I'm talking 1 1/4" / 100 yd. groups, better with my handloads. Enjoy, you're gonna love your new toy.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

fordwannabe wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:47 pm I have one in 223, 308, and 458socom, you never know whats outside.
Yep, and 5.45x39, 7.62x39, and 5.7x28.
It is not the critic who counts
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Paladin wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:16 pm
fordwannabe wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:47 pm I have one in 223, 308, and 458socom, you never know whats outside.
Yep, and 5.45x39, 7.62x39, and 5.7x28.
22 Nosler , 6.5 Grendel , 6.8 SPC , 450 Bushmaster , 308 and 260 .

But I pretty much use only the Grendel and 260 now !
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

my son bought an armalite in .556 then bought a kit gun for his girlfriend. Now i have one that is a stag upper, anderson lower with magpul furniture in the .556 configuration. for now i have iron sights the rear is a flip up peep sights. fun to shoot but are high maintenance due to cleaning of powder buildup. :D
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I never had any desire for one either... but the "world's best gun salesman" convinced me I needed at least one. :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yep.

I added a 50 Beowulf a ways back, then a 300 Blackout in 'pistol' configuration. Covers lots of bases; the 50 Beowulf duplicates 45-70, and the 300 Blackout duplicates 30-30, more or less.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

They might be ugly, and are certainly not leverguns, but they do have their uses. The ability to have one lower and several uppers is a nice feature. I am in the decision phase of what to do with the lower I put together for fun. I am going to get a 4 pound trigger from Velocity for it soon. Then I need to decide if it will be a dedicated one caliber platform, or start putting together some uppers in several different calibers for fun. I haven't put an upper together yet, but there are plenty of places to get free instructional videos.
I decided on Velocity triggers because you can get them with replaceable trigger spurs. Flat face, curved face, and a couple of in between styles. Just open the bottom of the trigger guard and remove the trigger spur with the proper size allen wrench. Place the new one and tighten the screw. That makes them easy to fit to your individual liking. https://velocitytriggers.com/product-ca ... ger-shoes/
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Griff wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:08 am I never had any desire for one either... but the "world's best gun salesman" convinced me I needed at least one. :P :lol:
Yep...he is supposedly gone, but still has too many affiliates in the wrong places pushing an agenda, so figured it was now or never.

Hade to tote one of these platforms great, great grandfather around for the better part of a year way back when, and did not really feel like going back to that particular time. But it is here...and can say, in some ways it appears the quality is better now than then. Combination of getting rid of the carry handle and the adjustable stock sure makes it feel more comfortable.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Time Hunter wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:32 pm
Griff wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:08 am I never had any desire for one either... but the "world's best gun salesman" convinced me I needed at least one. :P :lol:
Yep...he is supposedly gone, but still has too many affiliates in the wrong places pushing an agenda, so figured it was now or never.

Hade to tote one of these platforms great, great grandfather around for the better part of a year way back when, and did not really feel like going back to that particular time. But it is here...and can say, in some ways it appears the quality is better now than then. Combination of getting rid of the carry handle and the adjustable stock sure makes it feel more comfortable.
Most folks I've encountered at the shop are like you and want the adjustable stock . All of mine have the stock thats like the original , thats just my preference . To be honest when I first got these things I was amazed at some of the groups I was able to achieve with handloads .
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I told myself, "Why do I want or need an AR15?"
Then I got a sale flyer for Anderson AR15's for $399 and I told myself, "Why wouldn't I want one at that price?"
I doubt I'll use it much, but I'm pretty happy with my $400 AR15!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/