Random firearms musings and comments

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Random firearms musings and comments

Post by wecsoger »

Sometimes my mind wanders about unsupervised (especially when driving on these long trips) and lately I've been thinking about the oddness in the firearms industry

point 1.
If it's "Glock Perfection", how come they're up to gen 5 (!) now. Seriously? Me, I'm finally up to gen 3 now with a police trade-in '22 and that's good enough for me.

point 2.
Aren't we due for another handgun caliber? Back when wooly mammoths roamed and the choice of carry was a wheel gun we went from 38 special to an extended case for a .357 mag. .44 special to .44 mag, same story. Then there was the .41 mag. That died a marketing death because of the higher capacity euro-pill 9 mike-mike's, which everyone liked because they could carry more than a .45ACP. But they didn't like the stopping capability, so we got the fire-breathing 10mm, that was loaded down, then loaded down some more to the .40S&W. (not even going to mention the .357SIG or the .45 (turn, spit)GAP) It's been a couple years, shouldn't the gunwriters be getting excited over something new and shiny?

point 3
Hi-Point has been making a 9mm carbine for...Heaven's sake, more 'n a couple decades? Read the reviews, some of their stuff really isn't that bad. Yet when Ruger brings out a 9mm carbine (with semi-matching associated handgun) then the gunwriters lose their collective mind. Even makes the cover of the NRA magazine.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Random firearms musings and comments

Post by Rusty »

Ref point #3.

IMHO the reason Ruger gets better coverage is because Ruger spends more advertising dollars than Hi Point. Have you ever noticed when you read a magazine article and it's something like 3 pages long, then it says story continued on page 88. You turn to page 88 and there's a quarter page ad for the same thing you were reading the article about. What a cowinkey dinkey... right.

I think Ruger is missing the boat by not coming out with a 77/327. I know I sound like a broken record, but it would increase their handgun sales as well. Maybe I need to go buy some Ruger stock and bring that up at a stock holder's meeting.

Due to superior science I think we're also about see a rebirth in the popularity of the .357 Mag. There's a whole generation of shooters out there who weren't brought up with revolvers and they're starting to learn.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Rusty wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:54 pm Ref point #3.

IMHO the reason Ruger gets better coverage is because Ruger spends more advertising dollars than Hi Point. Have you ever noticed when you read a magazine article and it's something like 3 pages long, then it says story continued on page 88. You turn to page 88 and there's a quarter page ad for the same thing you were reading the article about. What a cowinkey dinkey... right.
Yep, And a $500 Ruger makes everyone more money than a $199 Hi-Point. And you never see fat chicks in the centerfold.
Rusty wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:54 pm I think Ruger is missing the boat by not coming out with a 77/327. I know I sound like a broken record, but it would increase their handgun sales as well. Maybe I need to go buy some Ruger stock and bring that up at a stock holder's meeting.
I always liked the concept of the 77/357 and 77/44. Never liked the price. I wich I have bought a 77 Mk II in 7.62x39 back when they were $399, but the bores were .308 and they whole point of a 7.62x39 was to shoot surplus ammo. Or WAS the point, before the reloading bug bit me.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The first time I ever shot a 7.62X 39 was in an SKS. I got the feeling I was shooting a semi automatic .30-30. The Russian round might even be more efficient if it were put to a scientific test. I don't know that I've ever shot an AK but a 7.62 X39 in a bolt action seems like a very efficient round.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Besides the new 6.5 calibers for rifles, the last new handgun cartridge is a 22 TCM. IIRC.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Along the line of musings... I believe the boys achieved perfection in cartridges with the 357 mag and 44 mag. The revolvers to shoot them lagged a bit but Ruger got there with the Redhawk and GP100. When you have perfection readily available then everything else is just "churning".

Yeah, I do a fair amount of "churning" and am lately churning along with a .327 Federal round but I acquired perfection many years ago.

Semi-autos don't rate a second glance because of they way they scatter my precious brass around the landscape. I might use one but I'm not going to get fond of one.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Was I dreaming? Didn't Ruger introduce the PC9 about 20 years ago, about the same time as the Marlin Camp9?
As far as I can tell, the purpose of a 9mm carbine is to plink away with cheap ammo and not worry about chasing brass.
Ammo companies should give them away with the purchase of a case of ammo.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

765x53 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:42 pm Was I dreaming? Didn't Ruger introduce the PC9 about 20 years ago, about the same time as the Marlin Camp9?
As far as I can tell, the purpose of a 9mm carbine is to plink away with cheap ammo and not worry about chasing brass.
Ammo companies should give them away with the purchase of a case of ammo.
This is not the PC9 but the PC Carbine. It is take-down, uses other magazines (like Glock and others) and has pictatinny rails.
The old ones used P-series mags only.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Its like v2.0. Same idea modernized. Reversible bolt handle, takedown, common mags.... all the stuff not done then. While 5.56 and 12ga do better, not everyone can handle one, so the 9mm has a niche. And it's built better than the Hi point..