Upgraded to a Nicer Flintlock -- "JP McCoy" .45 cal

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Upgraded to a Nicer Flintlock -- "JP McCoy" .45 cal

Post by Old No7 »

A few years back I started messing around with an inexpensive flintlock and posed the question whether it would be Fun or Frustration? (click for old link). Over time, it turned out to be both -- it was "fun" to tinker with to try and improve its reliability, but it was also "frustrating" when it could only get so far, and then no more improvements were realized. Guided by my twin brother, who'd been encouraging me to get a flintlock rifle for years, I had the frizzed rehardened and the frizzen spring lightened and tail of the frizzen reshaped/polished. I added a stainless steel touch hole liner, polished all the bearing surfaces of the lock and kept trying to improve it. It turns out, after talking with folks more experienced with flintlocks than I was, that the geometry of the lock itself was just all wrong... That's why I had the erratic performance out of it, despite getting really good at mounting and knapping flints and everything else I'd done. In the end, there was nothing else to do. But I was finally hooked on shooting a flintlock, and having had enough of shooting an "el cheapo" version, I enlisted the help of my twin to find me something much better to use.

Oh sure, I drooled over all the $2k, $3k and $4k custom flintlock guns that are out there, but those are all too rich for my blood. And while I've heard the Pedersoli locks were the best of the imports, I really didn't want yet another foreign-made flinter to mess around with. So my twin found me a good compromise -- it's a "JP McCoy" .45 cal flintlock as made by JP Gunstocks, formerly of Las Vegas NV. I've read that JPG made "semi custom" flinters using Orion barrels, L& R locks (mine has a Manton lock), decent double-set triggers and good hardware, usually with very fancy maple stocks too. I could have spent a lot more, I'm quite sure of that; but for less than the cost of a new import from Cabela's, I believe I got a really nice Pennsylvania-style flintlock to have some fun with at the range.

So far, I've only put 10 balls downrange with it, but all 10 shots went off quickly -- and with only 10 pulls of the trigger, as compared to it taking 15 or 20 tries with the other one I'd had... With the L&R Manton lock and a sharp flint on board, she sparks really well.

The best part is -- she's quite a good looker too! I love the stripes of the maple stock, which contrast well with the browned barrel. Here she is...

JPG JP McCoy 01 (Small).jpg
JPG JP McCoy 02 (Small).jpg
JPG JP McCoy 03 (Small).jpg
JPG JP McCoy 04 (Small).jpg

Now I just need to adjust the sights and practice more on the hold & follow-through, and while I'm at it -- I might as well "aim small, miss small" too! :wink:

Tight groups.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Old No7 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Upgraded to a Nicer Flintlock -- "JP McCoy" .45 cal

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Friend, that is a gorgeous piece of wood wrapped around that lock and barrel. I sure loved drooling over those JP Gunstock ads in Muzzleloader and Muzzleblasts years ago. I am sorry they went away.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I too have dabbled with cheap flintlocks, lots of fun BUT not really satisfing, now with that beauty you will not have any excuses for coming home empty-handed... :mrgreen: Congratulations Darryl :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice acquisition !

I know what you meant by "quick shots" - My Austin & Halleck flinchlock .50 gives an ignition time close to that of my Savage 99, and noticeably faster than my caplock rifles.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Cool! :lol:

So, let me know when you are ready to part with it! :wink:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nice rifle there 7. I started shooting cap guns and then switched over to a flintlock. I feel like shooting muzleloaders made me a much better shooter because of the lessons learned. Patience and follow through are learned through repetition.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That is a beautiful flintlock, fantastic wood. What is the barrel across the flats?, looks like mine, it is 15/16 45 caliber cap lock.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Wow! What a nice rifle.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Beautiful rifle 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
jp
Levergunner

Post by jp »

My name, my gun. I wish! :D
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

My Pedersoli Blueridge 54 percussion, it was a flinter when I bought it until one day I was sitting in my stand and a nice doe was standing 40 yards from me and when the hammer dropped all I heard was a click.
The doe would look up then go back to eating, this went on about four times and dern thing never did go off, I was ready to throw it at her. :lol:
No doubt in my mind it was my inexperience with flinters and some error on my part.
I ordered a percussion lock for it and was happy, love the long sleek lines and browned barrel also.
Shot this nice for here anyway buck with it and a couple does a few years ago.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

I like that "rifle rack" Pitchy -- very nice possibles bag and horn too!

Yup, there is a learning curve with flintlocks -- so they won't be flinch-locks -- but the top 3 things you need are:
* A good lock
* A good lock
* A good lock

The one I started with... Didn't have any one of those...

Tight groups!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks pard, the best flinter I ever owned was a TC Hawken, that lock was so fast and went off every time.
Can always count on the match lock. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nice ! I did the Contemporary Longrifle thing a few years back . Had a rendition of a Dickert 45 flint , a kinda conglomeration of the Virginia schools in a 50 flint and finally an Isaac Haines flint 54 . If I ever decide to go the flint route again i want James River school 58 i think .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Pitch, that's a handsome rifle. What kind of accuracy is it capable of? I have always wondered if the Pedersoli Blue Ridges aren't "sleepers" as hunting rifles.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Bill shoots better than I can hold it, been so long since I shot it on paper I can`t remember the groups.
I know I shot that deer at about 20 yards then he walked out to about 50 so I shot him again and the two holes were about two inches apart and that was off hand. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nice looking rifle.

What about the Hawken kits that you buy and put together. Are their locks any good? I am curious.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

That looks a fine rifle indeed and those little Manton style locks are fast yes.
Good sparks #7.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!