Post 64 M94 question?......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post 64 M94 question?......

Post by Stevie »

.....and Winchester commemorative questions.

Years ago as a teen I was loaned a beautiful M94 'Canadian Centennial' to deer hunt with. Pretty certain it was a 20" version. I've lusted for one off and on ever since.

Anyway...I've noticed lately that these are fairly plentiful on the market and are available with a 26" barrel too! I'm sort of torn between the two barrel lengths...but starting to lean towards the 26" Canadian Centennial. Any body own and shoot the Winchester commemoratives with a 26" barrel?

The Commemoratives seem to be just stagnate on the market....I can find one easily on Gun Broker and other auction sites and nobody bids on them! I know that some of these were produced in excess of 100,000 units...with like 90,000+ of the Canadian Centennials produced. But really? Online it seems a fair condition post 64 M94 carbine will sell better than a new in box Commemorative of whichever model. About the same money or more for the plain standard M94 too. Aside from market saturation...why are the Winchester commemorative models so unpopular??

I have only owned post 64 Winchester M94 carbines...but think all I've owned and the 1981 carbine I own now have the solid type shell lifter in it. Never owned an earlier post 64 carbine with the sheet metal lifter. Are the early M94 sheet metal lifters as bad/fragile as everyone makes them out to be?

I'm pretty certain the 1967 Canadian Centennials I'm lusting after are equipped with the sheet metal lifters and just thought to ask about the part.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Post 64 M94 question?......

Post by J Miller »

I can't answer about the commemoratives, as I have no experience with them.

As far as the early Post-64s with the stamped carriers, I've had several and had no trouble with any of them. The only thing is, that carrier sounds tinny and cheap as it moves up and down. I've never had one bend or break on me either.
I still prefer the machined or cast carriers as they at least look better.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Commemoratives are a relatively inexpensive way to obtain a "deluxe" (upgraded wood, engraving, better finish, etc) Winchester 94, but some folks (certainly not me) shy away from them due to a phobia about post-64's, or a dislike for a "too fancy for hunting" rifle (again, not me - as I find them something to admire in those times when game isn't moving).

Although I've found the 26" barreled version too heavy for my druthers, especially with octagon barrels, YMMV.

The longer barrels (24" & 26") do, however, afford a tad better performance than a 16" or 20" barreled specimen, but I doubt a game animal would be able to tell the difference.

Also, any Winchester 94's made with the stamped lifter (1964-1970) are easily upgraded in a few minutes to the 1971-82 cast/solid lifter, if desired. (I ALWAYS desired the swap).

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think Pete is right, it has something to do with a to fancy for hunting phobia. It wouldn't bother me either. I personally really like the longer barrels because I like the way the balance with the weight out in front. If the too fancy thing really bothers you, you might consider having it Coated.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Rusty wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:35 pm If the too fancy thing really bothers you, you might consider having it Coated.

WTF - just hit it with some Krylon spray paint.......... :roll:

;)

Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

I actually thought about buying a used one...but then new in box Canadian Centennials cast about the same money.

Still torn on 20" carbine versus 26" rifle...the carbine has a saddle-ring which looks cool and all but rattles and flops around marring the receiver finish...the rifle lacks the saddle-ring and has longer barrel and forearm....I'm still thinking about that. Will likely try for a rifle because just as soon as I bought my Browning 1886 saddle-ring carbine I got to handle the same thing in octogon rifle barrel form and really liked that Browning 1886 rifle.

I have some time to decide...I had the money pretty much saved-up...but my wife wanted a bigger kayak for valentines day...so I gave her $400 of my hidy-hole money for her boat! Will be a month or two now.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Stevie wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:14 pm
the carbine has a saddle-ring which looks cool and all but rattles and flops around marring the receiver finish

A tied leather thong puts that issue to bed, with ANY SRC:

Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

yeh I got the 'Red Ryder' leather thong on all my saddle-ring guns too. Does help with the rattle and definitely helps the receiver finish. I've seen guys wrap the entire ring with thin leather. And too...we are talking post 64 Winchester M94 rifles/carbines....the trigger flops back and forth while you walk!

That said..this is the M94 I grew up with. I've owned three of these over the years...used to buy them for like $75-$125 at a pawn shop or off the used rack in a gun-store.

That's a cool peep on the 94-22 XTR!
Last edited by Stevie on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

[/quote]

A tied leather thong puts that issue to bed

[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying that with a pic
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have a 26" Canadian cent. 94 . It is a well balanced and very accurate rifle. I have fired many one ragged hole five shot groups at 50 yd. it's only hindered by my old eyes even with a Williams FP rear that's as good as I can do these days.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have several Commemoratives, A Bi-Centennial, a '66 Centennial (20" version), a Legendary Lawman and Canadian Centennial that's been modified into a "Trapper". The Canadian & '66 commemoratives came with the stamped steel carrier, I also have a '71 carbine with the stamped steel carrier but my mdl 64A made in 1972 doesn't. I think I've read somewhere that the mdl 64As were the first to get the machined carrier before they went back to them in '73/'74. The '66 Centennial I got at a bargain price because the stamped carrier had been bent, someone attempted to straighten it out and botched it. I replaced it with one from Wisner's Winchester (new made part) and it works perfectly.

My personal theory is that the stamped carrier is only done in by handloaders that don't bother to regulate the length of their ammo... causing the gun to jam and they they attempt to 'force' the issue... and the weak link is the carrier.

Quite a few long range SASS shooters have gotten various commemoratives and used them to very good effect in their "long" range matches. With a good tang peep (receiver sights are verbotten in their matches), add a Lyman 17A front sight you have a very good sight radius with the 26" barrel; even with the 20" versions that sight combination gives you nearly the sight radius of the factory sights on a 26" barrel. I couldn't tell you if my 20" octagon barrel is every bit as accurate as my 26" rifles... but my seat of the pants answer is that it'll only differ by relatively small fractions of an inch.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Griff - AFAIK, the solid/cast carrier/lifter replaced the stamped sheet metal unit on post-64 Model 94's in 1971, when Winchester put them into the NRA Centennial Rifle & Musket commemoratives.

IIRC, you're correct about the 1972 Model 64-A (a naked NRA Rifle) being the first non-commemorative Winchester 94 to get them.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks Pete, I've never fondled a NRA commemorative or other '71-'73 mdl 94, I was occupied in Uncle Sugar's SEA games!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Griff wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:38 pm Thanks Pete, I've never fondled a NRA commemorative or other '71-'73 mdl 94, I was occupied in Uncle Sugar's SEA games!
BT, DT - NTS from Uncle, 1965/66 . :mrgreen:

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The commemoratives are probably the best shooting of any Winchester 94's ever made. I've shot lots of them and I also travel the Pennsylvania levergun silhouette circuit at many different clubs and the commemoratives are numerous as to use. My shooting friend, Al Faust, who was the National Champion a couple of years back and who has a master classification in all three levergun disciplines uses a Texas commemorative in the CLA big bore. He told me he put over 5,000 rounds of jacketed full power loads in his last comm. before he bought the Texas one and it still shot great. -----6. Ya can't hurt a good Winchester.
Model A Uzi’s
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The saddle rings on the (all the) post 64s I've owned with them are designed differently from the pre war rings. They do not hit the receiver and mar the finish. They can't as there is a shoulder on the ring base to stop it.
As for the alleged rattle, I doubt that is any problems at all. I've carried mine many a mile in the AZ desert and can't remember ever hearing it rattle even once.

The 9422 pictured above uses the receiver screw head end for the ring base. It does not have the shoulders and will hit the receiver and make noise. But it's a different gun.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

There are some Canadian Centennials on gun broker now that actually have bids!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My post 64 "Antique" model with engraved C/C receiver had the sheet steel lifter, no problems. The saddle ring rattle didn't bother me or the quarry that I noticed.
By the way Joe, I still have your saddle ring on my 9422.. :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:54 pm My post 64 "Antique" model with engraved C/C receiver had the sheet steel lifter, no problems. The saddle ring rattle didn't bother me or the quarry that I noticed.
By the way Joe, I still have your saddle ring on my 9422.. :D
Gamekeeper,
That's cool. I'm glad it went to some one who appreciated it more than me.

As for the rattle, I think people make more noise than the ring. If that doesn't spook the game, the ring wont.

Joe