92 Winchester firing pin breaking

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cslcal
Levergunner

92 Winchester firing pin breaking

Post by cslcal »

Help,
I have a post WW1 92 Winchester 32-20 that I keeps breaking firing pins. Does anyone here have experience bushing bolt faces? I’m thinking that might solve my problem.

Al Foust
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 92 Winchester firing pin breaking

Post by JerryB »

Check with Steve Young the 92 man he post here and has shop in Texas.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

There are two different tip sizes of firing-pins for original M1892 rifles. The earlier style has a fairly large diameter tip that protrudes from the bolt-face...the newer type is small. Maybe you are replacing the firing-pin with the wrong one?

I know too that dry-firing is tough on firing pin tips.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I also have to reinforce the concept that dry firing WILL most likely break the tip off the firing pin. The older ones with very heavy hammer strikes and heavy firing pins more so than newer ones perhaps, with their lighter firing pins, but its still a bad idea, as is relying on a fired case for more than a half dozen strikes at most. I use a snap cap, or better yet, I just dont dry fire them.
Last edited by Malamute on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Stevie wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:26 am There are two different tip sizes of firing-pins for original M1892 rifles. The earlier style has a fairly large diameter tip that protrudes from the bolt-face...the newer type is small. Maybe you are replacing the firing-pin with the wrong one?

That's what I'm thinking......being smaller it's bouncing around....

..I have a first year 32-20 and third year 44-40 with a combined logged count of 12,400 rds that have their original pins. I have many others with a thousand or less rds that are original. In fact, I'll go as far to say the only part I've ever replaced is one extractor, one ejector, and one feed rail. ----6
Model A Uzi’s
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/pid_1205.htm

http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/pid_1206.htm

Here are reproduction Winchester Model 1892 firing-pins with tip size specs. Both my old Winchester .44WCF guns have the big tp pins...what Homestead calls 'blackpowder' firing-pins. I actually have one of these in my old carbine. I have a lot of homestead parts in that particular gun.