Wrong guns...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Wrong guns...

Post by mikld »

Sometimes a little knowledge can mess something up. I was watching an old John Wayne western movie that took place at the beginning of the Civil War. But John Wayne was shooting a Colt SA, 1873? (all his guns had the ejector housing on the lower right side of the barrel). Also when he was really shooting up the bad guys he was using a Winchester '92, yep, he worked the lever 15 or 16 times. Now I ain't no expert and I could be wrong, but as far as I could tell, The Duke was shootin' with guns that hadn't been produced yet... :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Wrong guns...

Post by JerryB »

I don't know but the armorer for the movie probably didn't know the difference. It was like that in western movies much later than that one, he used the same guns in the Searchers.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Someone posted a page from a Jack Reacher book the other day where the author said he was carrying an M14 Garand. Go figger.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

worst i ever read was a british spy novel where the fellow was hunting ducks in scotland with belgium made double barrel semi auto over and under rifle - i am not making this up !
cable
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I saw a dramatization on the "History" Channel where WW1 US troops were using flintlocks, and the Germans had M1 carbines... I can hear the conversation between director and prop man now: "What do you mean, what kind of guns? Just GUNS!"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I don't think JW ever made a western where he DIDN'T use an 1892 & Colt SAA.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

They also love to add frogs or bird calls for effect, but have species never heard in the part of the country the movie takes place in.... :roll:

The gun errors should be SO easy to not make, though....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I love those old trapdoor Springfields with the huge dummy flintlock stuck on the side and the Colt SAA that turns into a D/A swing out cylinder when fast firing is required and then reverts back to a SAA. :roll:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I watched 'Josey Wales' again this weekend for the hundredeth time and noticed something odd about a couple of weapons close-ups.

After Josey blasted the two pilgrims at Zuki's store, Lone Waite snuck up behind Josey and cocked his revolver, I noticed what appeared to be a 1860 Colt but it had an ejector housing like an 1873 Colt instead of a loading lever like a cap and ball revolver should have.

Then seconds later, the Indian girl form the store came up behind Lone Waite and her revolver was the same,,, ejector housing-no loading lever.

In 1865, could the Richard's cartridge conversion of 1860 Colt's have become available?
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I was watching an episode of the Rifleman the other day, it had Sammy Davis Jr as tye bad guy. When he got killed, Lucas and Mark pit up a grave marker with the date......1884 uhmm. Lucas had just shot him with his 1892???????
In another episode Lucas agrees to buy Mark a rifle. Lucas asks the gunshop guy to see the 1873.....they handed him a pump gun.
It's Hollywierd.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

A lot of the old westerns used M92 style rifles without handguards...I always supposed this was so the guns would look more like a pre-civil war Henry rifle.

Then there was the movie 'All's Quiet On The Western Front'...the German rifles were pretty close...however the guns looked more like Turkish M38 long rifles and bayonets rather than Gew 98 long rifles.

I've seen Japanese WWII soldiers carrying 03 Springfields...Civil War soldiers fighting with what appeared to be 1873 Trapdoors(breech-loading them and everything!)...old west lawmen using 1930's or newer Colt and S&W double actions...then there are the mystery Remington revolvers you see in many Civil War and western movies...they appear to be Model 1875 style cartridge guns but just don't look quite like an 1875...never have figured out just what those pistols were/are but the movies used them a lot!??
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

rock-steady wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:12 am
In 1865, could the Richard's cartridge conversion of 1860 Colt's have become available?

The Richards Mason conversions were done to various Colt C&B revolvers from 1866 to the 1873 intro of the SAA.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

At least the Actress who plays Phryne Fisher in those Australian made murder mysteries knows that the 1950's Colt her character carries was not made at the post WWI setting of the show. She states that it has the right look for the character and that most of her audience will never know the difference.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:lol: On "24" Jack would hand someone a Glock and say the safety is off...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

There are probably thousands if examples.

A favorite of mine is the Thr Good The Bad and The Ungly. Close ups of Lee Van Cleefs revolver clearly show nipples with percussion caps on them, yet he has a belt full of cartridges. :)
Slow is just slow.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

cas wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:34 pm There are probably thousands if examples.

A favorite of mine is the Thr Good The Bad and The Ungly. Close ups of Lee Van Cleefs revolver clearly show nipples with percussion caps on them, yet he has a belt full of cartridges. :)

Yea....I saw that...plus I've seen numerous times when th guy was carrying nothing but a single action Colt with a bandolier of 45-70 cartridges.

Just the other day on the military history channel there was a dramatization of German soldiers going into combat but the soldiers were GI's.
Model A Uzi’s
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

hfcable wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:36 pm worst i ever read was a british spy novel where the fellow was hunting ducks in scotland with belgium made double barrel semi auto over and under rifle - i am not making this up !
Would that be the same spy who was give a .380 PPK that hit like "a brick through a plate glass window".
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

overly powerful and inhumane .... when you are shooting them with it !? ? this thinking is way beyond me
cable
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

jeepnik wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:12 pm
hfcable wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:36 pm worst i ever read was a british spy novel where the fellow was hunting ducks in scotland with belgium made double barrel semi auto over and under rifle - i am not making this up !
Would that be the same spy who was give a .380 PPK that hit like "a brick through a plate glass window".
With the more common loadings back then, more like a marble thrown at a sheetrock wall.
D. Brian Casady
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Ray wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:32 pm
jeepnik wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:12 pm
That was a 7.65mm ppk.....a 9mm korto ppk would have been irresponsibly overpowered and inhumane.... Bond thought his 6.35mm Beretta to be quite powerful enough but "q" thought not....
It wasn't the caliber so much as the Berretta jammed and he had to spend sometime in hospital.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

One of the reasons I've always enjoyed Tom Selleck western. He truly knows his stuff, probably more so than most Hollywierd armorers. He can insist on appropriate guns, or really close.

I suspect before it was a combination of what was available in the prop houses, lack of knowledge in the armorers, lack of knowledge in the movie-going public, budgets and simple apathy.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I heard the town of Big Whiskey, Wyoming ran out of 30-30 cartridges in 1881.

Josh Randall carried 45-70 cartridges for his 92 mare's leg.

On a side note, why do scope reticles always look so ridiculously unfunctional in movies? Why can't they just film through a $30 BSA from Walmart instead of making stuff up?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Binoculars always seem to have two intersecting circles.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I wonder what a scope and binoculars would look like if anyone in hollyweird would ever actually look through them?
D. Brian Casady
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

44shooter wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:38 pm I heard the town of Big Whiskey, Wyoming ran out of 30-30 cartridges in 1881.

On a side note, why do scope reticles always look so ridiculously unfunctional in movies? Why can't they just film through a $30 BSA from Walmart instead of making stuff up?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Those Hollywood folks sure know how to ruin a good 92. Did anyone ever see him reload that thing from his gunbelt???
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Jerry everyone knows Hollywood guns don't need to be reloaded. :lol:
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

In the civil war based movie, A Time for Killing, the troops are carrying lever action Winchesters and 1873 Colt Peacemakers.

My pet peeve is the number of movies I watch where someone pulls a Glock and the sound crew has added the sound of a hammer cocking.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Oh my, you are right about that, in my old age those things are getting away they do shoot forever.

Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

mikld wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:14 pm Sometimes a little knowledge can mess something up. I was watching an old John Wayne western movie that took place at the beginning of the Civil War. But John Wayne was shooting a Colt SA, 1873? (all his guns had the ejector housing on the lower right side of the barrel). Also when he was really shooting up the bad guys he was using a Winchester '92, yep, he worked the lever 15 or 16 times. Now I ain't no expert and I could be wrong, but as far as I could tell, The Duke was shootin' with guns that hadn't been produced yet... :lol:

Nearly all of the old westerns used those two guns you mention no matter the time frame. They were the most common available to the film makers. You just kind of have to over look those details and enjoy them for what they are.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

jeepnik wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:49 pm
44shooter wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:38 pm I heard the town of Big Whiskey, Wyoming ran out of 30-30 cartridges in 1881.

What museum is that gun in?
I have always read that they used versions with both round and octagonal barrels but I had never seen an actual photo of the guns used in Wanted Dead Or Alive.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Caught part of The Virginian the other day, guy had a 92, ( in frame) wearing a bandolier with what appeared to be '06 FMJ.
Imagine how much more movies would cost if they actually hired "experts" to make it all correct! Gee that might cut into the millions the left scum would bankroll!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Something else you'll see if you watch closely is they will take the forearm off of a 92 rifle and call it a Henry rifle.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

One of my favorite scenes is in NCIS. Gibbs is in the desert with a couple other guys and being chased by a helicopter. One feller is wounded and gives Gibbs his lever gun and says "it shoots a bit to the right". Gibbs takes the gun and fiddles with the iron sights (mebbe this gun can, but my lever gun sight can't be adjusted for windage by finger pressure) and proceeded to shoot down a helicopter with one shot; huge explosion. :shock: Good shootin' Gibbs!
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...