big game bullet for rossi 92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

big game bullet for rossi 92

Post by mickbr »

Okay so I know its not a big game gun but lets say in circumstances where you want the most penetration from 357 . I was wondering whether flat point FMJ, or a hardcast, or a polycoated hardcast, or some other kind of bullet gets the vote here? and what weights given the Rossi has that 1:30 twist. I was looking some of paco kelly's loads- all I can say is wow, makes it into quite the little stomper.
Last edited by mickbr on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: big game bullet for rossi 92

Post by JerryB »

I have not used a heavy bullet from my Rossi .357 but I know there are folks here that have killed big deer with the 180 grain hard cast round flat nose.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IDK if a 210lb (field dressed) Whitetail can be considered "big game", but a 158gr JSP from my .357 Rossi made him DRT a few years back.

If I was hunting bigger game, as a non-handloader (any more) I'd opt heavy loads from the likes of Cor-Bon or Buffalo Bore.

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/TLC ... sketch.jpg My Ranch Dog bullets are pretty accurate in my5, 44 Magnums and I would expect the same out of his .357 RNFP bullets...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just my limited experience, but for bigger game, penetration is a prime concern. A Keith style or an LBT style bullet will punch pretty deep while staying straight. With either one of those, you just have to place them accurately and they do their job. I have never been disappointed with the performance of either style bullet.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

A link to NOE for Ranch Dog molds: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=71

And one thread on Marlin Owners: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/ranch ... ics/105382
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Ive killed whitetail deer, black bear and some hogs using a 357 mag lever gun. My pet load uses Lil Gun and the Missouri Bullet Co 180 grain hard cast gas checked. Velocity from an 18" barrel is a bit over 2100 fps. The black bear was shot in the head facint me at 30 yards (ish) and the round transected his entire body and exited his left rear hip (missed the bone). He never took a step (obviously). My step son has killed several using a Winchester 94 in 357. Using Lil Gun and a 158 grain Nosler JHP and 158 grain XTPs. Expansion on both those is excellent as is the weight retention.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus