Determining rear & front sights height for new barrel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Determining rear & front sights height for new barrel

Post by kaschi »

My Marlin 336 Texan (30-30) is about to be sent off for a new barrel which will be in 25-35. It will be 18" in length and should make for a nice, handy little carbine. So, here's the sight situation: I've got brand new Browning 1886 rear and front sights which I'd like to have installed on the new barrel. Will there be any problem as far as height goes or will they be appropriate in that regard? The sights are from a Browning 1886 Rifle by the way. Now, there is a formula for determining front sight vs rear sight height (short videos can be seen how this is done on youtube.com), but since the sights are "a set", my hope is that they will work since they were made for each other.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Determining rear & front sights height for new barrel

Post by Pete44ru »

In my somewhat limited experience (50 years) of playing with rifle sights, you won't really know until you try (BT, DT, no TS) - but an educated guess can be made.

The correct heights for both front & rear iron sights should be the same (equal) distance above the bore C/L, measured from the top of the front sight and the sighting notch or aperture center of the rear sight.

If you have the sights in hand, measuring them and the barrel you want to install them on should let you know the scoop.

If I contemplate ordering sights, I usually measure the rear sight height above the bore C/L first, then the muzzle, to noodle out what the total (sight & ramp) front sight height will be needed.

Also IME, Winchester 1894 & 1892 sight heights are nearly identical, but IDK about Model 1886 sight height vs 1894/1892 heights - what throws a curve is the different barrel countours (round/octagon, heavy/lightweight) requiring different front sight heights on the same type of receiver (height/thickness).

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

What Pete said.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

What Griff said.... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I've been thinking the same thing you said Pete when you stated ..."you won't know until you try". This carbine is being re-barreled by some someone to whom I sent it and he's only gotten as far as ordering the new barrel. What I'm pretty sure about the contour of the the new barrel is that it almost certainly will be the same as the existing 30-30 barrel since the same barrel band and forearm are being used. That set of Browning 86 sights is almost too nice not to put the 25-35 barrel, plus they are brand new and nice looking. I don't like the Marlin sights on the 30-30 barrel so that's the reason the existing ones are not being re-used on the new barrel. I'm hoping to sight it in at 100 yds---perfect distance for an open-sighted lever action. If the gun shoots low, that can be easily remedied by raising the rear sight so no big deal there. Of course if the gun shoots too high, a higher front sight is the answer. It'll be a while till this project is done, but I will be sure to let you guys know how things turn out.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Sounds like a plan - we wish you the best, in this project ! :)

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Here is link to a gunsmithing article that may help.

http://www.gunsandgunsmiths.com/custom- ... rt-2-of-2/
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/