Ruger Customer Service (327 Mag)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Ruger Customer Service (327 Mag)

Post by vancelw »

Recently on another .327 Federal Magnum thread I mentioned how much my Ruger SP101 blew back on me when I fired it.
When I got it brand-new, I fired exactly 12 rounds of factory ammo through it and put it up because it was unpleasant to shoot.
I talked to an experienced friend about it, who said the worst blow-back revolver he ever had was a .327 mag. So, I put the gun in the safe and forgot about it.

When I mentioned it on the thread someone (Rusty?) asked about the cylinder gap. I measured and found a 0.010" feeler gauge would pass all the way across the front of the cylinder between the forcing cone and a 0.018" would pass on the left side.

I called Ruger and the Customer Service rep agreed that was an excessive amount of gap. She sent a packing label and paid shipping both ways.
The gun was out of my hands less than 2 weeks total.
They replaced the cylinder, crane, and for some reason...the rear sight assembly. Not sure why.
Didn't cost me a dime, even though Ruger has no printed warranty of any kind.
I own (and have owned many more) Rugers and this is the 1st one I ever had to have serviced.

I shot it yesterday and it was much more pleasant. I look forward to developing loads of all ranges for this neat little plinker, now.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Ruger Customer Service (327 Mag)

Post by 44shooter »

I've used their Customer Service three times. One was for a new Vaquero that's feaux ivory grip logo fell out on the first cylinder. I sent the grips and they sent some back.

The other two were for rifles I bought I bought used. One, a 77 Compact Magnum, had a home trigger job that I found unsafe and the front site detent was lost. Ruger sent a trigger spring and site detent with spring for free.

The other rifle is the one that has me sold on their Customer Service. I bought a tang safety M77 used in 284 Win. It shot all over the place. I had a little cut off the muzzle and recrowned. I tried some extra bedding pressure. Nothing worked. Finally discovered a slight barrel bulge likely from an obstructed bore. Called Ruger and they said my rifle was shipped as a 7mm-08 and had been rechambered. Said they could barrel and blue it for around $144. I said ok, chose 308 from what they had left, sent it in. She called back and said the smiths said it would be No Charge.

So I sent a rifle someone else bought, rechambered, and bulged the barrel and got a new barrel and blue job for free! I was totally willing to pay the reasonable fee to get this rifle shooting.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I've dealt with Ruger service for one rifle, a 77/357. Out the box, it wouldn't feed most factory ammo and the magazine was very difficult to insert. They sent a mailer. On return, the magazine was fixed, but one brand of factory ammo still wouldn't feed. They sent another mailer. On return, one could see more work had been done on the feed ramp, and it feeds all ammo just fine now. After paying postage for 4 trips plus two sessions on the repair bench, Ruger couldn't have made much on that rifle sale, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Ruger product.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'm glad it worked out for you Vance. I figured that was a pretty wide gap. I know a lot of custom revolvers tout about how small a barrel cylinder gap they have. That should help with your velocity some as well. If you go watch Gunblast.com where Jeff did a video on several .327 SAs he found that the shortest barrel gave the best velocity. I figure that was because it has the best fit. That was tested over a chronograph.

Good luck!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Rusty wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:01 am I'm glad it worked out for you Vance.

Good luck!
I'm just so used to...if a gun works for me, fine. If not, down the road it goes. I honestly just didn't think about calling River.

I had a S&W model 34 one time that wouldn't eject a full cylinder of spent rounds. Smith & Wesson fixed it.
Had a Crikett rifle for my kids that the extractor kept falling off. Crikett tried to fix it but I never could connect with the UPS pickup. That was before you could print your own label so easily
Sent a Sig of once. Actually twice. Came back both times still no good. Had a "seal of excellence" from the Sig custom shop both times. Never again.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've found both Ruger & Henry to be at the top of the heap when it comes to customer service.

I bought a (used) 1960 DOM Ruger .22WMR-only Single Six (Model RSSM) online 2 years ago, and found the 2 of the 6 chambers were very difficult to load and impossible the extract the fires brass w/o drifting the empties out.

I called Ruger, explained the issue, and sent it in with instructions to hone the 2 offending chambers slightly. (Ruger sent me a shipping label on their dime)

3 weeks later, I got the gun back, with an invoice for the bubble and 3 cylinders. :o

They did nada to the original cylinder, but replaced it with a new/fitted .22WMR cylinder numbered to the frame, AND a new/fitted LR cylinder, also numbered to the frame ! :shock:

That made the gun a Model RSSMX convertible. :mrgreen:

It shot great, but I wanted the original .22 Mag cylinder fixed, so I ordered a chamber hone from Brownell's & ran it in/out of the 2 offending chambers until unfired ammo loaded smoothly/easily.

Upon test-firing the gun, it turned out that my honing job returned the original cylinder to service - so now I have a 3-cylinder Ruger Single-Six convertible.... ;)

I intend to reserve the original cylinder with the revolver, and use the 2 new ones for shooting.

As to Henry Repeating Arms - dummy me broke off the forward magazine tube hanger on my H001T Octagon Frontier, with vibrations from drifting/replacing the front sight.

When I called HRA customer service to order a replacement hanger, the CSR just sent me one gratis - which I installed a few days later.

I have no hesitation in recommending both companies, and/or referring potential buyers to them. :)

wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Don't have a Henry (yet!) but all my three interactions with Ruger customer service has been like this:

Hi, my xxx is broke.

What's your serial number?

xxxxxxxxx

Stand by, your parts are in the mail.

Not needed to say, they've always treated me more than fair.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Bought a Bushnell scope at Wal Mart recently. It has a lighted reticle, and was a display model. The cap for the battery was cross-threaded and bent. It was the only issue I have found. A call to Bushnell and the cap was in my hands less than a week later at no charge. Hard find anything wrong with their customer service.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I bought a 12 year old but unfired ,new in box, Ruger .41 mag. In because the front sight had been installed crooked.
A call to Ruger service was done first. The nice lady said if it was a factory error it would be repaired for free.
I paid for shipment to Ruger , they not only replaced the front sight, they completely polished and reblued the entire gun to a high level of polish just like the erigional Super BlackHawks came with and paid for return freight. The gun is a real jewel now.
It took less than two weeks from the day I sent it off for the brown truck to bring it home.
Thanks to Ruger !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Only needed them once. They sent me a box with a shipping label and had it back to me looking like new in about 2 weeks.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV