Went to Cabelas today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Went to Cabelas today

Post by GunnyMack »

My primary reason to go was to eyeball a Dickenson 28 ga. Needless to say it is still there, I just didn't like its lines. They had a few others, none of them had very nice wood... I love figured walnut so maybe that subconsciously kept me from buying?
The used racks had a bunch of Model 12's, a few Parker Brothers, even a Remington double. Then at least a half dozen Marlin levers, well used but nice overall. Saw couple 94's. Not one gun on the racks that really appealed to me. All I bought was my lunch!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Went to Cabelas today

Post by crs »

So how was the food?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Actually we had lunch at a little dive bar, it was ok.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Gunny,
I notice that you have a double gun with a pheasant in your picture. What is that gun?

I shot some birds last week and will post the picture when I get around to loading it.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

That is me with my Parker 20.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I was kind of eyeballing a Stevens 555. I got to hold a 20 ga. not long ago at our local Bass Pro. They are very nice.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Between 2 gift cards for Christmas and 28 bucks in points, I have about 100 bucks to spend, and I need to go down there and see what is looking good. :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Gunny,
Which Cabelas?....Hamburg or Newark, De.?---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

CRS- that is a CZ .410, that pic was the first time I pulled the trigger on it, a blue phase pheasant, he is now on the wall
image.jpeg
Six I was at the Hamburg store.

The .410 is fun but I really like 28 ga, my Red Label does fit the bill but a side by side just seems more 'right' for bird hunting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Went to the local Cabela's Tuesday night and ended up with a Browning 1911-380.

Just couldn't help myself.

Took about 30 minutes.

:oops:
Last edited by FWiedner on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

CZ has some very shootable sXs guns.

At a past dove shoot (with 50 shooters) on a friends ranch he provided a selection of guns , lots of ammo, and an automated clay launcher.
I tried CZ shotguns from 410, 28, 20 to 12 ga and was able to hit well with all. I preferred the 28 and 20 ga, but did not buy one since I have been shooting Parkers since a teenager and had no reason to change.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Although I took a personal oath to never buy at Cabelas again, I tried to break my oath Wednesday. I have been looking for a compact 9mm semiauto to carry, and stopped by Sportsman's Warehouse, but they didn't have the Taurus Millenium I wanted to see. So I was headed out to pick up a window for the house and driving past Cabelas. Figured since they had them for $199 I might as well stop and at least see how it felt in my hand. Place was pretty empty, so I laid the ad on the counter and asked if I could see one. Guy picks it up and tells me the sale doesn't start until the next day, and tosses the ad on the counter.
So I guess if the sale hasn't started they can't show you the gun either? At least I kept my oath to not buy, and confirmed their sales staff is as big a bunch of jerks as I previously thought.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Marlinman.......with the exception of a few, clerks at Cabelas might as well work at McDonalds. When shopping at Cabelas, it pays to have your own knowledge. In the Delaware store, an old buddy of mine is the head honcho in the gun library. He is knowledgeable but is nowhere an expert on the antiques.

Also, as a hard core collector of fine guns, you know as well as me you NEVER go looking for a specific gun, even "gun shop guns", which are the "the run of the mill's latest creations" .....don't look for it and somehow they magically appear. :D Been like that my whole life.----6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

CZ guns are very nice, however the .410 I have was not deburred/ polished inside. The trigger pulls were 11 & 10 lbs. I spent a few hours stoning and polishing all the cuts where the triggers enter the receiver. Now they are both about 5 lbs without touching the sear faces.

Six is right, the sales 'help' at the big shops like Cabelas aren't much help at all...

I would love to find a nice Parker 20 that isn't beat, all I ever find are 12's and usually are much the worse for wear dollars wise.
If that Remington I saw was a 20 and not a 16 I might have dropped the $800 on it...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

I quit buying guns from my local Cabelas, it seems to take Cabelas 4 times as long to do the paperwork as any other store in my area.
Gregor
Levergunner

Post by Gregor »

Bought a Savage 12FV 6.5 Creedmoor for $369.99- $100.00 mail in rebate= $269.99 at Cabela's. Couldn't pass on that deal. Had to order online and ship the Avon, OH store for pick-up. First time ordering a gun from them, went smoothly.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I too, have had a good experience ordering Cabelas guns through Gun America.
Shop all over and have shipped to nearest store and buy if you like.
Hairtrigger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hairtrigger »

I have been in over 30 different cabelas stores. I have a great job..... I hit the bargain cave and gun library then look for sale prices in the reloading section
Usually I leave without making a purchase
Once in a while I find a real bargain, my latest is a Turnbull 1911 OTD $1300
I am one gun away from happy
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I don't need help when I visit a gunshop, and Cabela's is no exception - it only took me one quick look to glom onto the .303 Savage Model 1899H (made in 1914) I bought at the Connecticut Cabela's for chump change a few years ago (in fact, the last time I visited there).

The only funshop service I desire is for them to take my money.................. :mrgreen:

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:25 amThe only funshop service I desire is for them to take my money.................. :mrgreen:
Heck, I'm even willing to let them skip that part if they want...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Pete44ru wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:25 am .

I don't need help when I visit a gunshop, and Cabela's is no exception - it only took me one quick look to glom onto the .303 Savage Model 1899H (made in 1914) I bought at the Connecticut Cabela's for chump change a few years ago (in fact, the last time I visited there).

The only funshop service I desire is for them to take my money.................. :mrgreen:

At least you got them to take your money! Heck, I'd be happy if someone at Cabelas even acknowledged I was standing there holding a number ticket!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

crs wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:32 pm Image

That is me with my Parker 20.
Very nice is it an original or a repro ? A Parker VH or GH 28 is high on my list of wants along with the same in 16 gauge on an 0 frame .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:31 pm CZ guns are very nice, however the .410 I have was not deburred/ polished inside. The trigger pulls were 11 & 10 lbs. I spent a few hours stoning and polishing all the cuts where the triggers enter the receiver. Now they are both about 5 lbs without touching the sear faces.

Six is right, the sales 'help' at the big shops like Cabelas aren't much help at all...

I would love to find a nice Parker 20 that isn't beat, all I ever find are 12's and usually are much the worse for wear dollars wise.
If that Remington I saw was a 20 and not a 16 I might have dropped the $800 on it...
I've got a VHE 20 gauge 28" . Its most likely the nicest Parker I own . I've known that gun for 50 years and am the third owner . It was made in 1928 , I paid good market value for it 4 years ago and shortly after was offerred a 2G profit price . I declined I'll most likely never get another like it .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Once upon a time (about 20 years ago), I chanced upon a pristine 16ga Parker VHE Skeet Gun (26" in/out choked barrels, straight grip to a checkered butt, and more) made by Remington in 1937.

The gun was tagged with what I thought of as an exceptionally low price at the time. :roll:

I was able to swap even for it with a funshop dealer, for my likewise pristine Browning Model 42; but sold the Parker a few years later when I was offered a little over 10x what I had into it, by a Parker collector. :shock:

I hunt ALL my guns, and was really leery of tempting fate any longer with it - plus, the offer was too good for me to refuse. :mrgreen:

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I don't have a Parker, but I do have a Le Fever20 ga. double made in 1922. My wife bought it for me for our second Christmas 1961.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15