Ruger model 77 6mm

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Elwood
Levergunner

Ruger model 77 6mm

Post by Elwood »

Hello,

First time here for me.

I'm having an issue with my ruger model 77 6 mm. The factory round gives me trouble with chambering. The bolt is very hard to close. I've cleaned the barrel with solvent and applied oil. The extractor was trying to pull off of the bolt during closing. I replaced the extractor clip. No luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Ruger model 77 6mm

Post by AJMD429 »

Welcome to the forum....!

We do speak (but in subdued tones) of those strange 'side-lever' abominations known as 'bolt actions' from time to time, usually to malign them, but since my 1976-77 "Centennial Model" Ruger in 6mm was a tack-driver, I will try to help, and I'm sure others who know far more will do so as well....

I guess the obvious first....

Is the gun new, or used...?
Is chamber and bolt face clean...?
Are cartridges ok as far as overall length...?
Is there the same issue with other brands of factory ammo...?
Does extraction force matter if the round was fired or not...?
Has the gun been lubed (not just the barrel), and with what...?
and finally...
Are you letting the rounds ride up from the magazine's normally, so the rim slides under the big extractor 'claw'...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Sounds kinda like a short chamber OR long brass but that doesn't make sense.
Like Doc mentioned- try other ammo?
How does it extract a fired case? Hard? Case sticking would cause the extractor to rip the rim... Try this
Get a bronze bore brush that fits chamber NOT bore size. Wrap OOOI steel wool around brush on a cleaning rod that you can chuck in a drill, soak the brush with oil and spin up the drill. I suspect you might have some rust in the chamber.
Bore scope will tell you better about chamber condition. Chamber cast a good idea too.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to the fire !

I would suggest you try loading the chamber by feeding a cartridge from the magazine with the bolt, ILO loading it directly into the chamber & closing the bolt.

Elwood
Levergunner

Post by Elwood »

She's used. I bought it new about 20 years ago. She's a tack driver as well. 1 of those 3 shot groups 1 hole at a 100

So the bullets are scratched if they do chamber and come out. I have seen brass specks on the extractor as well. I'm going try the bore brush and give it a good scrubbing.

I will get my caliper out and measure the rounds as well

I will circle back to you folks and let you know.

Thanks for the advice.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I suspect something in the chamber like rust, patch material, brass etc. spray it liberally with cleaner. I like G96 for combating rust. Go to town with a chamber brush. The other techniques mentioned may work too. Just be sure to flush and wipe the chamber and bore before shooting.

Another simple test is to make sure the bullets are sticking into the rifling. See if there are rifling engravings are the bullet. This may be easier if you paint the bullets with a magic marker or something.

The old M77 extractor should snap over the rim of a chambered round. I know it looks like a Mauser but the action is push feed.

The MKII and Hawkeyes are controlled round feed. Not sure if they will snap over the rim of a cartridge chambered by hand. I have examples of both and can try it and you need me to.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Are you pushing the rounds down into the magazine or just letting them single feed from the top of the carrier?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum!

My B-I-L had one those in 7mmRM 40 something years ago, I fired it a couple of times, and it inspired me to buy a Remington 700! I don't know a thing bout 'em... but it sounds like others are givin' good advice.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!