MP Molds 327 Single Seven Mjolnir Group Buy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2 dogs
Shootist

MP Molds 327 Single Seven Mjolnir Group Buy

Post by 2 dogs »

I wanted to take a few minutes and make a few comments as to why I believe the MP Molds 327 Single Seven Mjolnir cast bullet may well be the single most well thought out and significant of all the 32 caliber 640 designs.

First, in Old Norse, it is spelled: Mjǫllnir and is often commonly spelled Mjölnir or just Mjolnir because modern keyboards do not support Old Norse spelling. According to a professor who teaches Old Norse it is pronounced MULE-NEER and the R at the end is rolled like in Spanish.

Second, the overall length of the Mjolnir is both extremely tolerant yet bears a hidden twist of versatility. Probably the shortest cylindered 32 sixgun in common use is the Ruger Single Six. Mjolnir is going to fit those many 32 H&R sixguns out there and satisfy any heavy duty bullet chores required of those sixguns.

Third, that extra lube groove. None of the other 32 Caliber 640 designs have it. That makes the Mjolnir the best choice for a Carbine because it will surely carry enough lubricant to make it to the muzzle. Not that the other designs won't, but the additional lubricant is a failsafe. The .297" nose to crimp is the icing on the cake here as well because it practically guarantees smooth cycling in a lever gun and ammunition that will hold crimp even if stacked in a long magazine tube. More, in a sixgun, one might even use that top lube groove as a crimp groove to load this design long (This assumes throats with proper dimensions) and have more room in the parent case for powder. It would be close, but that idea might even work in the aforementioned Ruger Single Six 32 H&R magnum and allow for the ultimate load in that design envelope. It remains to be seen if the newer GP100 and SP101 can be loaded long as well with this design.

Fourth, it's perfect for the Single Seven yes, but it is also perfect for the Single Six design window itself. Consider this, The Sledgehammer is a fantastic bullet. In the 32-20 it is an absolute best with it's heavest loads in modern sixguns with tight chambers well into 357 Magnum territory. But it's too long to fit in the Single Six design envelope. That is not true of Mjolnir. A 32-20 case is supposed to be 1.315" long. The nose to crimp on Mjolnir is .297". Added together the total length is 1.612" which is just about the maximum "safe" cylinder window for a Single Six. The long bearing surface of Mjolmir may yield some very interesting ballistics from the .327 Federal and a properly chambered and modern 32-20....

Last, there are the short necked wildcat sixguns. Again, using the top grease groove as crimp groove might just get the base of the GC into the base of your case. It is definitely going to fit in the Custom Bearcats. One can only wonder if 30 Carbine and other similar cartridges might benefit. As I said in the beginning, this one is really going to be something.

http://singleactions.proboards.com/thre ... lnir-group
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: MP Molds 327 Single Seven Mjolnir Group Buy

Post by AJMD429 »

lotsa folks ordering 'em.....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

That is indeed a nice looking bullet. But the old Scotsman can't commit to buying something when he can't figure out how much it'd cost.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'd say LBT could make a similar mold and you would know the price.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
2 dogs
Shootist

Post by 2 dogs »

The prices vary a little but the 4 cavity molds are 155 ish and the 2 cavity molds are 130 ish depending on the cost of the materials and such.

No, Veral makes a beautiful mold, but he does not make a mold this versatile. This one is a Cramer style mold and can be a Solid, or a Large HP or Cup HP. Often the MP molds come with a 3rd HP option, usually a penta point or a medium HP pin.

Do a little research. These are the finest molds I have ever used.

I haven't been on here for awhile. You guys need to catch up!
2 dogs
Shootist

Post by 2 dogs »

OK, it occurs to me, if someone asks how much is a MP mold, then maybe I am assuming you guys might already be all up to speed on the MP Molds. So, here is a drawing of the 640 32 caliber designs, with their relative nose to crimp lengths. The bullet on the right is the 311-440 (if my rememberer is working today) which you guys should all recognize since it was our very own Paco Kelly who first (to my knowledge) had the audacity to sling a bullet that heavy out of a 32-20 and 30 carbine sixgun. Paco is a friend and mentor to me, as well as an inspiration, and one of the ones who set me off on this mad quest for sixgun science. Not only have I personally shot Paco's sixgun but I can tell you for a fact that his data with the heavy bullet in the 32-20 is spot on.

These 640 designs have been wildly successful in every single weight we have tried them in. Further, as new 327 Federal six and seven guns have appeared we have pretty much just ignored the crimp groove and crimped right into the side of the bullet to accommodate the cylinder length at hand and have not seen any deterioration in accuracy or performance. More, since these molds are the Cramer style, you can pretty much cast a bullet for any application you need.

I'm pretty sure Paco would have loved to have these designs available back when he first started his own sixgun quest for maximum performance.

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

OK, guess I'll just have to get one of those. I am such a sucker for nice moulds!

And yes, I am still using the little Saeco pot I got from you a few years ago Sixgun. A 10-lb pot feeds the big moulds just fine when you keep your ingots heating on the rim so they don't cool the pot off too much when you plop 'em in.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

That's a good tip Earl, thanks.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
2 dogs
Shootist

Post by 2 dogs »

I agree, the MP molds are absolutely beautiful. Ok, I promised to try to keep you guys up to date, so here is an updated version of the above graphic which shows the nose to crimp length of the various 640 designs along with the 311-440 and now the 308 150 grain MP hunting bullet. There are as you know several new 327 Federal sixguns out and this displays how these different cast bullet fits. Again, we have taken for example the Sledgehammer or 135 grain 32 HP and deep seated it in the 327 Single Seven, ran it at 1300 fps, with no problems and displayed spectacular accuracy whether PB, GC, conventionally lubricated and sized or powder coated despite the fact the deep seated required seating this bullet on the shank. This is a trait common to the 640 series.

We are up to 40 molds, these buys tend to close fast, so don't sit on the fence.