Suppression Fire. Levergun content: 100%

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Suppression Fire. Levergun content: 100%

Post by Panzercat »

If this has been posted already, well, then it's been posted already. :)

Now I wouldn't doubt that you or somebody around here knows the history behind this thing, but I found this on The Firearm Blog-- Supressed leveraction sexiness. Now most suppressed leverguns look like some sort of abomination, or at best parts that really don't look like they belong together. This thing visually works... For me at least. And manages not to look like a bastardized Mossberg 464 SPX. Deal me in for 45lc plz. Click the link for the full article.

The want. IT HURTS. :o
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Suppression Fire. Levergun content: 100%

Post by JerryB »

Well Hoss, reckon just what ever turns your crank is fine with me. I'll stick with and old 92 SCR.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That's definitely not John Wayne's levergun, but as a practical do-everything-around-the-homestead little carbine, it has a lot of advantages over the host of semiautos out there, so I'd love one in 45 Colt....!

I think the ultimate levergun would be a 45 Colt takedown, with one integrally-suppressed barrel with laser and light mounts, and the other 'un just a plain ol' vanilla regular bambi-thumpin' barrel. Tight twist rate on the quiet one soz I could spin 405 grain Beartooths at 1000 fps enough for stability. The thing is, as long as the light was a quick detach or bayonet-style mount, I doubt I'd ever use the regular barrel....so maybe not mess with the 'takedown' feature.... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Hmmm, not for me thanks :(

Glad you like it though :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

It's different for sure but I like it. Be a darned useful tool around the homestead.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I like it better than the leverguns with an AR butt-stock!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I looked at the title and immediately thought... "hmmm a leveraction fire fighting tool... what'd that look like?" Ok, I know... but... just how many of you other ol'pharts thought the same? Fess up... be truthful! :twisted: :P :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hmmm, I've seen uglier. The thing that pushes me away from them is that to keep the rifle to a usable handy length you loose a lot of magazine capacity when the barrel is shortened for the suppressor. And I really don't want to sacrifice mag capacity for the suppressor. The .45 Colt isn't that noisy from a rifle anyway.

Now when someone builds one I can afford that will attach to the bayonet lugs on my NO4 MK1, I'll be interested.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I like it except for the Swiss cheese forend
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:42 am I like it better than the leverguns with an AR butt-stock!
+1 and yes Griff, I did think the thread was about laying down suppressive fire..... :oops:
Personally, I like loud firearms, if not I'd be a bowhunter ..... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

That is an Mlok foreend. You can add rubberized or plastic or even wood panels to it.

Before people say it doesn't look right... Teddy Roosevelt had a Winchester 94 with an original Maxim suppressor.... over a century ago. So he could quietly kill pests (2 or 4 legged) at his place in NY and not disturb the neighbors.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Now we just need to get that law passed which makes suppressors available without the tax stamp and the background check. My remaining hearing would love it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

The only thing I don't like about suppressors is their size. I know physics demands the large size, but I still don't like it. If a shorter bbl, say 14", with a permanently attached 8" suppressor would it be considered a 22" barrel? If the gun in the pic were to have a 16"or 18" barrel, over all length it would be much "handier" and balanced, IMO...

But I wouldn't buy one, I'm still thinkin' about a '94 made in my birth year, '46... :D
Last edited by mikld on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mikld wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:18 pm...If the gun in the pic were to have a 16"or 18" barre, over all length it would be much "handier" and balanced, IMO...
Yep. The suppressor themselves are cheap to make, but the tax stamp and bureaucratic overhead makes them tenfold more expensive.

So a gun usually is made 'regular' with the option to attach a suppressor, so you can use one expensive suppressor on several different guns. Further, due to other NFA regulations, the barrel without the suppressor has to be at least 16", even if not ballistically necessary. This means suppressed guns are ungainly and awkward.

IF the laws weren't like they are, the extra cost of built-in 'integral' suppressor would be low enough, and the design unobtrusive enough, that they'd be much handier, like the new Ruger 'Silent-SR':

...or my own integrally-suppressed Ruger 96/22...
Screenshot_2018-02-03-20-48-16-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I just threw. Up into my mouth. Just because you can, does not mean you should do something.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

buckeyeshooter wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:03 am I just threw. Up into my mouth. Just because you can, does not mean you should do something.
Guess ya don't like it, huh? :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

claybob86 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:17 am
buckeyeshooter wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:03 am I just threw. Up into my mouth. Just because you can, does not mean you should do something.
Guess ya don't like it, huh? :)

Thats the understatement of the day.
Just nasty!