Rebarreling a pre '64 1894

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Rebarreling a pre '64 1894

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Gentlemen,

An idle thought - can you rebarrel a pre'64 Winchester 94 carbine (1955) with the barrel from a post '64 version (1970's) with no issues?
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Rebarreling a pre '64 1894

Post by J Miller »

I have the exact same project in line. A 1950 carbine with a bad barrel and a post 64 barrel. I have seen pre-64s with post 64 barrels on them so other than possible variations in forearms and bands I don't see any problems.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Shouldnt be any problem with bands or fore ends so long as you have the one that fits the receiver you have. Band screw locations are the same, bands are the same (basically, other than some much later front bands being a little different). Only difference in fore ends other than where they interact with the receiver is how long the wood is past the band. Short and long wood interchange so long as the receiver type is the same. Pre-64s had a thin rim of metal around the receiver to locate the wood, the post-64s have a round boss of wood centered on the magazine tube which mates with a corresponding hole in the receiver.

Barrels, I dont think theres any practical difference.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

YES. But, not an AE barrel... unless you recut the extractor slot.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

OK Roger that. Thanks.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Carlsen: Or have it bored and chambered to .35-30!

8)
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

I would bore it out to .38-55 in a heartbeat. But I don't think I can combat the border issues with sending rifle barrels back and forth. It is relatively straightforward in NZ, but the Us state department is awful hard to figure out what is the right thing to do, and most tradespeople seem to just not want to deal with sending rifle parts overseas because of the hassle. :cry:
Mark Twain
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Carlsen, a gunsmith friend in New Zealand who goes by Von Gruff on several forums bought an old Lee Metford on my behalf, and proceeded to reshape the butt socket and fit a custom stock set for it. He then disassembled my "poor man's Lee Speed" and mailed it to me here in the States in a couple of different parcels. No issues. Would you have a problem getting a rebored barrel back into New Zealand?