Custer Documentary Near Completion

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Custer Documentary Near Completion

Post by Shrapnel »

A friend and I have been pursuing what happened to the personal effects taken from the Custer soldiers for quite a few years. We made a teaser video about 5 years ago and the History Channel picked it up and filmed for about 5 weeks the fall of 2016. We saw some video of the uncompleted project and it appears that they are going to get the documentary completed and maybe even broadcast this coming May or June.

It has been quite a few years and miles to get to this point, but it looks like it might finally happen. We haven't tried to visit the overworked philosophical aspects of the battle or who did what and where, we have researched different documents of what happened to the artifacts from the battle. There is so much conjecture about historical figures and events, that we aren't interested in rehashing these kinds of situations. We have found some real unique aspects of what happened after the battle, that it is quite interesting to see that, to this point, what we filmed is entirely unique to anything produced to date.

I hope to see this get broadcast and find out what the opinion of viewers might be. If all goes well, there should be 3 programs and hopefully enough interest to add a couple more years of research and discovery to one of America's Crown Jewels of history.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Custer Documentary Near Completion

Post by Walker »

I'd be very interested in seeing this.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool.......sounds interesting....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Sounds like it should be some thing awesome!! keep us posted!!

Brad
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Now thats what I call a worthy hobby.
A brilliant concept, truly an inspired way to grasp history on your part. I really hope they do your project justice.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Really looking forward to this. We visited some friend in Sheridan, a few years ago but we didn't get to go up to the battle field. They took their family up there real regular. My friend did take me to see the site of the Wagonbox fight real close to their house. There sure is a lot of history in that part of the country.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
kragluver
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kragluver »

I will be watching for it!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sterling! Congrats. Definitely let us know when it'll be broadcast... I'll watch for sure.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

Will be aching for it! Keeps us updated as you learn more about broadcast schedule!
We are planning on visiting the site this year.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I enjoy these types of shows if they don't stray and become too hypothetical, or contain too much guess work. Hope the History Channel does a good job on your legwork!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:05 pm I enjoy these types of shows if they don't stray and become too hypothetical, or contain too much guess work. Hope the History Channel does a good job on your legwork!
This is a real concern as they are looking at this from a completely different perspective...
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

kragluver wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:22 am I will be watching for it!
+1 I hope it gets broadcast over here too.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Shrapnel, this is a very worthy project. Would your friend's initials be M.V.?

8)
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:58 pm Shrapnel, this is a very worthy project. Would your friend's initials be M.V.?

8)
Actually, no. There is a point we got to where recreating a shot from a 45-70 trapdoor was worth filming and I got ahold of Mike and he and I put together a shooting scenario that helps the viewer understand more about ballistics of those 1800's guns...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I would watch it. That sounds really interesting and informative. The Lakota (Sioux) were a proud and intelligent people. They certainly made it difficult for the Army to move them out. If not for the virtual elimination of the bison, we might not have been able to do it for a long time.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

piller wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:35 am I would watch it. That sounds really interesting and informative. The Lakota (Sioux) were a proud and intelligent people. They certainly made it difficult for the Army to move them out. If not for the virtual elimination of the bison, we might not have been able to do it for a long time.
We had too much power with the Army. Just a few months after the LBH the Army had already assembled thousands of troops to finish what Custer didn't. The American Indian knew that there was something in the wind, long before the expansion West. Indians were already asking Lewis and Clark how many more whites were coming during the Corps of Discovery in 1804.

Many people with a 21st century mind feel that we mistreated the American Indian in the settling of this country. I understand the plight of the Indians as well, they were fighting for a way of life that was vanishing and they can't be blamed either. I have to ask "How could it have been done any different?"
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

This has really gotten My attention and I sure hope I get to see this show...Thank You in Advance. :) .
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Please keep us posted.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

cant wait to see this ! great !
cable