Quick Review Western Handloading Guide Ed Nr 1

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Quick Review Western Handloading Guide Ed Nr 1

Post by JohndeFresno »

I just received my Western Powders Handloading Guide, Edition 1.

The total price paid was $39.99 from the Western Powders site; shipping was free.

This is a massive and beautiful tome, 8 1/2 x 11 inches weighing 3 1/2 lbs with 488 pgs (the last two are lined pages for notes). Part of the reason for its size is due to the fact that Accurate, Ramshot, and Blackhorn 209 powders are all now under the Western umbrella. These are well represented, with an impressive sampling of bullets.

The first part of the book has clear and exceptionally brilliant color photos that support such topics as the obligatory Reloading Primer; Powder Position and Primers; Slugging a Barrel; and Shotshell Reloading. All articles seem to be very well thought out, as would be expected.

My quick examination of the manual revealed a heavy preponderance of Barnes, Hornady, Lyman, Nosler, RCBS, Sierra, and Speer bullets; but there are many more represented here, albeit not as frequently. I counted 47 bullet brand abbreviations which include many cast bullet companies, found on Page 41 of this edition.

As an aside, I have already found one small flaw in the book. One page that I checked so far shows "Berger" and "BRG" bullets listed - is that the same one brand? "BRG" is not listed in the table of bullet brand abbreviations.

Like all good manuals, this one has drawings, complete cartridge measurements, and some anecdotal information (including which powders work best) with the introduction of each cartridge. And there are several new ones, again as expected. Some are "new" only in the sense that they have become popular once again, no doubt owing a lot to the SASS and other nostalgic cowboy-type shooters and handloaders.

For instance, I found the .300 AAC Blackout, and the .20 VarTarg which I never heard of. But then there are those great old levergun cartridges that have been brought back to life:
.25-35 and .38-55 Winchester, .50-90 Sharps, and others!

This manual has some nice touches that some other reloading books have neglected:

* Color coded page edges (blue for the handgun cartridge section, red for rifles) to speed up searches;

* Pressures for each maximum load. These are mostly in PSI, not that nebulous CUP! I note that even newest Hornady books (Edition 10 or "X") don't have pressure listings for each load.

* Full information on the firearm used to test each particular cartridge, like:
.25-35 Winchester Specifications
Barrel:......................20"
Twist:.......................1-8"
Primer:....................WIN WLR
Bullet Diameter:..........0.257"
Case:.......................WIN
Maximum Case Length:..2.043"
Trim Length:..............2.033"

I went immediately to the .45 Colt pages and found three divisions:
.45 Colt Standard Pressure, 14k psi
.45 Colt High-Pressure, 30k psi
.45 Colt in .410 Chamber

One comparison - 255gr. LC (LaserCast Oregon Trail) SWC
Using Accurate No. 2 powder:

Standard 14k/5.9gr, 790fps - 7.0gr/888fps; 13,750psi;
1.604" COAL (7.26" bbl)

Hi-Press 30k/9.0gr, 1066fps - 10.6gr/1207fps; 29,750psi;
1.605" COAL (7.26" bbl)

.410 Taurus 14k/6.2gr, 680fps / 7.3, 786fps; 13,337psi;
1.596" COAL (6" bbl)

Setting aside the barrel length differences, you can see that the minimum and maximum charges, along with
the pressure readings, are different between a standard .45 Colt load and a .45 Colt in the .45/.410 Taurus.

According to this manual, "Load pressures for the Taurus Judge have been held to 14,000 psi. Because the dual
purpose chamber has an unusual conformation, specialized data has been developed to help the handloader
maximize performance in this type of firearm."

I acknowledge that an inexpensive online subscription to LoadData will produce practically all the information that you can find in the printed reloading manuals, but:
1) What if you aren't by your computer?
2) What if the Internet is temporarily down?
3) What if your box is inoperative, infected, or stolen?
4) What if the electricity has failed?
5) There is just something about being able to look quickly on a printed page to find general information and a wide range of load data at a glance.

For all of the above reasons, I still rely heavily on my treasured reloading books. And given the fact that this handloader (for one) uses several different types of bullets instead of just jacketed rounds or lead missiles, this contributor suspects that this Western's manual will be one to reach for first during many load development sessions.

JohndeFresno's verdict: A great investment, well worth 40 clams. And it's purdy.

(Minor edits, and changed "Contender" to "Taurus"
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Quick Review Western Handloading Guide Ed Nr 1

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Sounds like an impressive volume. I prefer my reference material on paper, computers and the net are only a fad. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hawkeye2 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:56 amSounds like an impressive volume. I prefer my reference material on paper, computers and the net are only a fad. :D
+1. Along with that new-fangled stuff called smoke-less powder... next thing you know they'll have pre-rolled cigarettes!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Griff wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:43 am
Hawkeye2 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:56 amSounds like an impressive volume. I prefer my reference material on paper, computers and the net are only a fad. :D
+1. Along with that new-fangled stuff called smoke-less powder... next thing you know they'll have pre-rolled cigarettes!
Only some kinda sissy would smoke them ready-rolls.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

:lol: Lotsa clowns here!

Owing to the large amount of bullet selections and rifle loads available to these Western powders - the 30-06 Springfield sections shows 4 1/2 pages of load data - about 227 loads on my quick, non-precise count. .308 Winchester looked to be about the same.

.30-30 has 56 entries. I'm so impressed that I almost talked myself into buying another one!

Okay, brother-in-law, that package you get in the next coupla days is from me. Happy reading!
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

JohndeFresno wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:46 pmI went immediately to the .45 Colt pages and found three divisions:

...but yet guys go freaking nuts when we talk about 22k psi 44-40 loads

Sounds like an interesting manual! :)
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

SAVVY_JACK wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:43 pm
JohndeFresno wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:46 pmI went immediately to the .45 Colt pages and found three divisions:

...but yet guys go freaking nuts when we talk about 22k psi 44-40 loads

Sounds like an interesting manual! :)
Just 8 loads for the .44-40 using their AA Nr 2, AA Nr 5, and Blackhorn 209 - using a 7.75" barrel.
AA Nr 2 (4 loads) shows the highest max psi: The 200 gr L Lyman #427098 getting 961fps at 13,900 CUP Max.
No .44-40 rifle listings, but several pages for the .45-70.
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

JohndeFresno wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:30 pmJust 8 loads for the .44-40 using their AA Nr 2, AA Nr 5, and Blackhorn 209 - using a 7.75" barrel.
AA Nr 2 (4 loads) shows the highest max psi: The 200 gr L Lyman #427098 getting 961fps at 13,900 CUP Max.
No .44-40 rifle listings, but several pages for the .45-70.

I kinda figured as much....what a shame.

Thanks for the heads-up :-)