load press for 357?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

load press for 357?

Post by mickbr »

Folks just after recommendations on a basic but reliable load press for this cartridge. I am returning to the shooting sports after a long break. I once used RCBS rockchucker to load big game rifles but that press and the rifles are long gone. I have some lee 38sp dies on hand which I believe will handle both cartridges and they are the only calibres I am likely to load these days. I only need single stage, I'm in no hurry to get the job done. Thanks for any suggestions.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: load press for 357?

Post by GunnyMack »

Lee makes a very affordable single stage, although the one I got a few years ago seems to be much lighter that the one a buddy had years ago...
Just about any on the name brand presses on the market will do fine.
Reach out to Sixgun, he wheels & deals often, is a real good guy and won't steer you wrong if he has a 'spare' press!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

The Lee press is hard to beat for the money, mine has done over 50,000 rounds, from 25-20 to 45-70
Did have to rebuild it one time after sticking a 300 H&H case, man did that pull hard, did 150 38 & 357 over the weekend

Brad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It sorta depends on what your budget and future plans are. If you KNOW you're not going to load anything BUT .38Spl, from now 'til the end of time... and can't afford the best... then buy the Lee press. :o Or, look around on EBay or Craig's List, various reloading & shooting forums and see what's available on the "used" market. You might be very surprised. Several years ago, I bought a very lightly used Dillon 550B set up to load .38Spl/.357Mag for $200. I've read of others getting similar bargains.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

I own several reloading presses. A couple LEE's and a couple of the old Lyman 'Spartans'....My very favorite is a LEE 'Classic' I bought from Midway a few years ago.

I will say that the Lee Classic is not the cheapest press on the market...and that the main reason I bought it was that it would take 1 1/4" dies to handle some rather large cartridges. It will also handle the normal size 7/8" dies and I really appreciate it's large throat and long lever. None of those features would be needed for simply making a few .38 Special reloads. However the big LEE press is just so much handier for convenient reloading than smaller presses.

LEE also makes some really inexpensive alloy framed presses for entry level reloading...I really don't recommend those or any of the cheaper aluminum C-style presses. although they will work. Whatever you buy get a cast-iron press...
DaveInPA
Levergunner

Post by DaveInPA »

I use a Lee Classic Turret Press for pistol and rifle up to .308. I get a separate turret for each caliber that I load, which allows me to setup each die set the way I need it and not have to muck around with adjustments. My dad runs a Lee CT press and loads a ton of .38 and .45 on his. They are a very good value, IMO.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

DaveInPA wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:22 am I use a Lee Classic Turret Press for pistol and rifle up to .308. I get a separate turret for each caliber that I load, which allows me to setup each die set the way I need it and not have to muck around with adjustments.
Me too. Inexpensive and reliable. I use their 'Pro' disk-type measure (better than their regular model) and charges are fast and reliable.

I like their factory crimp rifle dies, but for 'pistol' the configuration is different and I don't like those as much - HOWEVER - they will sell the 'pistol-caliber levergun' Factory Crimp dies in "rifle" configuration as well if you special order them, and it is only $5.00 more or so.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

RCBS Jr. would be a great choice, and if you look at local gun shows I see them often for around $25-$30 used.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Very happy with my Hornady "lock n load" single stage press.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

A grandson in Texas has two Dillons now he still uses his Lee press a lot. I have a C&H C press that I got in 1960. It does all of my loading as good as any on the market, it's old but so am I.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

We often use our Lee 3 hole turret press, with interchangeable turrets, but I feel the turret could have less slop in it. Were I to do it again, I'd get instead one of their "breech lock" designs. One can fasten a bushing to a die and then quickly insert it to the same depth each time using the interrupted threads on the bushing. I think Hornady has a similar system.

For just .38 and .357, I'd consider Lee's less expensive C frame, but the O frame will be more versatile and perhaps easier to get the cartridge in and out.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

These used to be the cheapest out there, but are still relatively inexpensive ($26.09 at MidwayUSA.com).

I used one in 44 Mag for many years to load great ammo.
Lee Loader.png
https://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-357-mag.html

I would usually load 50 to 100 at time, but sometimes just a cylinder-full. The dipper was just fine for a load of 2400 powder (for the 44 Mag).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I like that Gunny guy even though he is from N.J....yea....I'll give him a kickback. :D

How about this...an RCBS JR. press, 38 Spl. dies, 150 empty once fired 38 Spl. brass, Lee loading manual, shellholder, powder funnel, like new RCBS powder measure, loading block and 100 Winchester 140 gr. Jacketed bullets.

This stuff is hardly used....people get into this stuff, drink some beer and smoke some pot and their priorities change.....then the phone calls come to me :D

I just got in four Mec 600 jr. presses and eight barrels for Remington 870, 1100, and a couple of Browning A-5 Belgium barrels....I love it when guys need play/drug/beer money, 30 sets of dies..(new)......

Anyway, I pass on the savings to my pals here on leverguns but it depends on who you are :D . I don't do no e-bay stuff or play on other boards....life is too short to spread myself around the globe.

Oh! The price.....press, dies, powder measure, funnel, block, shellholder, manual, brass, bullets, -----$200 shipped...
:D -----6

This is Miss Apple....price? You ain't got enough money :D

Model A Uzi’s
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The little dog would go better on a fly tying bench. I see a nose in the middle of all that streamer material. :D
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

She looks like a black shih tzu????
An chance I am right!
In any case nice dog!!!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Any of the cast iron presses used would be ideal. Unless they've
been abused, they last through tens (maybe hundreds!) of thousands of rounds.

Look around in the want ads in your area. I once got an
entire Lyman Orange Crusher press outfit - powder measure,
scale, press, etc. for about $80. Had been used once.
20+ years later it still works like new.

Don't look askance at a progressive Dillon either if the price is right.
I got my Square Deal that way. It had 4 dies sets, too! :)

-Stretch
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

The only thing about buying sight unseen is you can get a press that has been abused or just plain worn out. I got a heavy duty, cast iron C-H press from ebay. Paid $13.00 for it. Sounds nice huh? But when it was delivered, the ram/frame wear was excessive (at full stroke the ram would wobble about 3/16"). I kept it but learned to guide the case into the dies...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I am still using the RCBS Rock Chucker I bought in 1974, I cant tell you how many hundreds of thousands of strokes it's made, I am a very avid shooter. :D It is still going strong without any detectable wear or loosening up.

You can pick up all sorts of good cast iron presses on fleabay or at yard sales, etc, local internet classifieds are another source. Keep your eyes peeled, there are great bargains to be had.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Thanks for the replies and suggestions folks. Also to sixgun. I actually went and put money down for a Lee classic cast after the first few replies. Its a bit overkill but I can probably load for my brother as well, and a few other folk around me with bigger calibres. Thanks again, great community here!