Williams peep sight on rossi 92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Williams peep sight on rossi 92

Post by mickbr »

Folks I found a good used deal on a Rossi 92 stainless. I am not an experienced lever guy, nor do I have much experience or interest in peep sights. The guns comes with this attached to the reciever. https://williamsgunsight.com/product/williams-fp-9436/

I don't want the sight, intend to remove it as first order of business and probably have a smith mount a red dot.

Is there anything to look out for regarding these, could the drilling job be bad, can it weaken the action, what do you do once you remove one of these? Does it technically reduce the value of the firearm? Thanks for any advice.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Williams peep sight on rossi 92

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Newer Rossi's have next to "0" collector value. I would pay some extra for a "Navy Arms" imported Rossi but not as a collector issue.
Extra holes... If it was neatly done, the receiver sight holes to me would be a plus. I like receiver sights on my lever rifles ! Buy some "hole fillers" and it looks fine.
Weaken action... Not hardly any unless you start "swiss cheezing" the action.
If it is under $375 then buy it if you like it. Try the action for smoothness and function. Shooting it with 5 rounds would be a better test.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have 4 of those Williams FP sights mounted on different Levers . My advice is to hang on to it for a while . Nothing for Me is as easy to use .
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

That Williams receiver sight is a far better choice on your rifle than some red dot that requires batteries, turning on etc. in order to work. Take the aperture out and shoot through the threads. Far quicker and it is reliable. Plus you don't need any more holes, it's already on there.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I believe, OP is asking about drilling holes for the red dot. You do not need to drill extra holes, there is a guy Mr. Pearson who makes a mount for the Rossi that uses existing holes and mounts a red dot or scout scope. Youtube has several videos and if you google it, you will find contact information. He is a good guy and very helpful. Cost about $60 a little more than drilling and tapping but doesn't need a gunsmith, or devalue the gun at all.
I just got another one for a Rossi, for my nephew.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have a Red-dot (Burris Fastfire-II) AND a LaserMax laser on the little side-mount rail you can get that uses the take-down screw hole for mounting.

I also have one set up with a Williams FP 'peep' sight, and another with a Marbles "Bullseye" sight.

All three have different advantages. The Bullseye is by far the fastest and no batteries. The Red-dot/Laser combo enables me to hit a feral cat in the chicken coop at 75 yards in total darkness (I use a clip-on flashlight that clips on the magazine tube). The FP is the best overall as long as you have daylight, because adjustments are repeatable.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Perhaps a trip to Nate Kiowa Jones' web site will answer questions on the Puma 92. https://stevesgunz.com/ I have a Puma in 44 Magnum I purchased in '05 that I installed the Williams sight on (I tried several different rear sights but all failed to allow me to see clearly enough to get "minute of Volkswagen" accuracy). I have some pretty "hot" handloads that I use in my Puma but don't fear any damage resulting from the holes in the receiver...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Based on my experience with peep sights, the Williams is a winner and MUCH more accurate than any open sight.
I recommend that you try the rifle with the sight before you make a decision to change the sight. See Williams Foolproof on 1895 .405 below.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I think if you will take time and be open about it you will agree that the Williams receiver sight is pretty darn good for lever gun. Even if you plan on using the gun for a target gun that sight would be hard to beat. I have them on several rifles including a Rossi 20" SRC .357, they are fast and sure and well built and solid.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

#1. The sight is no problem.
#2. You may not need a gunsmith to mount a red dot sight. If that is a newer round barrel (not octagon) Rossi the barrel is already drilled and tapped for a scope mount under the rear barrel sight. If that is the case you can purchase a mount that fits those holes at NOE http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=103