Marlin 1893 mainspring

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Marlin 1893 mainspring

Post by fordwannabe »

Hello all, I am laid up for a while with a infection in my left foot so I have been going through the guns and making sure they are all in my book and the book is correct ect. I am giving each a wipedown and lube at wear points ect. I grabbed a Marlin 1893 that I haven't used in a couple years and realized the hammer spring is waaay too heavy. I assume is was replaced at some point before I got it . How is the recommended way to lighten this?
It actually feels like its too long, but .probably just too stiff. I have heard round the corners of the flat spring, thin it side to side, thin its thickness. What say ye? Thanks. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Marlin 1893 mainspring

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm a chicken and afraid I'll kill the original part (even if it isn't the right original), so I'd probably see if I could get a new spring somewhere even a scrounged one off an old lawnmower/sewing machine/whatever, get that one to work, then if it was reliable I'd have it to compare to as I very s-l-o-w-l-y modified the original.

Or see if you can borrow the correct original from someone and measure its length and compression to use as goals.

As for how to modify it, if (or once) the length is correct, it does seem like further shortening it would not be the method of choice.

Any reason to think it could be the proper spring, but just not installed properly...? I've had that happen a couple times over the years with various guns and springs.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I thought I would tear this one apart and switch with one of my other 1893's to check, but when I looked at it, it looked like a leaf spring for a half ton truck not a levergun.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Tom,
I assume you know what you are talking about and if you feel that it is "way too heavy", just replace it...cheap...about $30. I can't recall the name of the company but it's a well known outfit in the Pacific Northwest that has all kinds of Marlin stuff.

If you think it's just a bit too heavy, just back out the mainspring tension screw....it's next to the bottom part of the stock screw on the lower tang....if in doubt just pop the stock off and you will see the screw that puts pressure on the mainspring.

Is it "smooth and heavy" or is there something that just does not feel right? Sometimes there is a mechanical issue that causes a gritty feeling.

I personally have never seen a mainspring that was too heavy.....Most early guns to about WW1 had heavier than normal tension due to the early hard primers. ---6
Model A Uzi’s
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Jack, it is hard to cock and it feels like it is putting too much pressure on the hammer/trigger. The way I noticed it was I had handled 10 or 15 vintage Leverguns today, and this made me say whoa nelly sumting wong. I will swap out the spring tomorrow after the doctor appointment. If you ever get to decide if you want a local or general anesthesia for a bone biopsy....you want general..local wears off. Owwee.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

To lighten a flat spring you have to reduce the thickness. While in gummsmiff skool we had to make a flat spring, forge,shape, heat treat and temper-a very fine line between perfect and broken! Some times just polishing with emery cloth through multiple grits can make a spring feel different. I'd start there. The bend is the key!
Personally I'd look for a replacement.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Is it the 1893 or 1894 that has a roller on the end of it?

It must be the early 1894 because I broke a main spring in mine and had a bit of trouble finding another with the roller on the end.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Like 6 I wondered why you didn't just back off on the tension screw. Or you could order a new Wolfe spring from Brownells, Midway or ?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Since it's likely already been replaced it wont hurt to modify it now. I have reworked a lot of Marlin mainsprings, plus other makers springs. I like to take metal off the width, rather than thickness. But if it's much too heavy you might need to do both. Stay away from either end, and try to work in the middle mostly. Also use a belt sander to remove metal, and a heavy grit belt to avoid heating too much. Keep water handy to continually cool the spring. If you can't hold it with bare hands while removing metal, it needs a dip to cool it.
You can remove a fair amount of metal to lower spring rate, but be sure to try it on the gun often to make sure you don't go too far.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Ok first I did not see any type of adjusment near the spring attachment , would the fact that it is a takedown model make a difference? Second, I took the spring out and compaired it to one of my other 1893's , uhmm, It IS twice as thick as the original one. I spent a couple minutes on the belt sander, reassembled, back to belt sander a couple times, and now it is tolerable. Thank you all. Of course as it is with me nothing goes easy...I knocked my magna tip screwdriver.box.off the bench and now gotta sort that out. Buuutttt
Chuck Conners is on with a special model 92 that never misses.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I had the same problem with a Pedersoli Rolling block..
First, I ordered a spare spring to work on...
Then, with a 3/16 or so CARBIDE end mill and lots of coolant,
I did the following... Use a Bridgeport or similar...
I saw these for sale online, so figured I could make the same thing..
Made a HUGE difference... (Go slow)

(Can't get the pic to upload)
What I did was cut a slot down the middle of the spring about 1/2 or a bit more
of the length of the spring, polished the edges, etc

Looked similar to this one, but mine was wider and I extended the slot about twice as long...

http://www.thesmithshop.com/ldmainsp.html
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

fordwannabe wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:06 pmOf course as it is with me nothing goes easy...I knocked my magna tip screwdriver.box.off the bench and now gotta sort that out.
I've definitely been there and done THAT.... :oops: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

fordwannabe wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:06 pm Ok first I did not see any type of adjusment near the spring attachment , would the fact that it is a takedown model make a difference?

No, you are correct, there's no adjustment on a Marlin mainspring. If it was weak, then sometimes people put a washer between the spring and the lower tang to raise it and slightly increase pressure. Only adjustment is what you did to remove metal to soften the pressure.
Some oil on all friction points, plus a thin coat of light grease on the breech bolt nub that rides over the hammer will also make it slicker, and function better.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

I have a 93 in takedown, if you want I can look at the mainspring to compare to yours.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I very much appreciate the offer but she is good to go at this point. What caliber is yours?
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

It is the lowly 30-30. 28” Full octagon barrel and mag.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Sounds like a winner to me. Love the thurty thurty, I believe I even have ONE :roll: :roll: