Thompson Center..did not realize!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Thompson Center..did not realize!

Post by Stevie »

At the gun-store the other day I saw a new looking TC Hawkin flintlock .50 cal rifle on the rack(they mix new and used guns together out where you can fondle them).

Anyhow...I was sort of interested in a flintlock and already own a percussion TC Hawkin .50 and a TC Renegade .54..findin them both reliable and accurate rifles. So I go home and bing-search Thompson Center's web-site. No more flintlocks cataloged...no side-hammer conventional muzzle-loaders at all!! Nothing but inlines and break-action muzzleloaders... :( Looks like these were discontinued some years ago..not long after S&W acquired TC

I don't really have anything against modern muzzle-loaders...but I've always considered primitive firearm deer season something other than what it has become I guess.

I was sad to discover TC no longer makes the old reliable line of muzzle-loaders....
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Thompson Center..did not realize!

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I think the day of tradional muzzleloaders has sunsetted. The folks that wanted to hunt "muzzleloader" season for extra hunting opportunities have mostly all gone to the stainless steel, bolt action, scope sighted 250 yard killers, not really what us oldtimers would call a muzzleloader hunt but what do I know? The only ones left shooting traditional flinters or percussion locks are the hardcore fanatics and re-enacters.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Last time I looked, there were still some States which prohibited inline muzzleloaders during the muzzleloader/primitive firearms season. If that is still the case, it would seem that the choices are becoming fewer for new hunters.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Ray wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:58 pmI bought this excresence on ebay for my t/c flintlocks….
Wow, that's an interesting addition -- never seen one of those before! :shock:

I believe the "1st gen" T/C flintlocks had geometry issues with the hammer, which changing frizzens or flints did nothing to help. I've read the "2nd gen" hammers sparked better.

I have an inline T/C (Omega, scoped, of course) and while it shoots great and is accurate, it sure doesn't have the history, character or charm of an old sidelock or "rocklock". In fact, it's more like shooting a single shot rifle, than shooting a muzzleloader. I too think the "primitive" seasons should be just that, but oh well...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

T/C had a really good thing going with their traditional muzzleloaders. They were fine guns. When I was shooting club shoots we had a lot of people that would show up with a T/C and do fine right out of the box. When they wanted to take it to the next level all they needed to do was get a Green Mountain drop in barrel that had a round ball twist and they were as good as it gets.
I always regretted that I never picked up one of the New Englander shotguns when they were being made.
I guess it's just one more fine product that's now gone away.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just a simple question, or it seems to be one to me. Would you consider a caplock with a side hammer to be primitive enough for primitive firearm season, or would it need to be a flintlock? I am not trying to start a fight. I just would like to hear from the members on here about this issue because of the respect I have for the people on here.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

piller wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:04 pm Just a simple question, or it seems to be one to me. Would you consider a caplock with a side hammer to be primitive enough for primitive firearm season, or would it need to be a flintlock? I am not trying to start a fight. I just would like to hear from the members on here about this issue because of the respect I have for the people on here.
I'm torn on that issue myself...but realisticaly there has always been non-traditional muzzle loaders on the market to include under-hammer...side-hammer/mule-ear guns...and my ex-brother in law's favorite years ago an H&R Topper shotgun looking break-open muzzle-loader. Technology marches on so they say.

I do think that muzzle-loader/primitive arm/black-powder hunting seasons should be confined to black-powder and the BP sub powders. Muzzle-loader smokeless would seem a entirely different set of parameters at least to me(I guess some of the Savage smokless muskets have some issues!!). Anyhow I've seen more than a few traditional side-hammer shooters with scopes mounted and shooting sabot jacketed bullets. I know some older gentlmen that bought inline muzzle-loaders just to get some optics on their guns to compensate for aging eyesight.

State primitive arm regulations vary state to state too. I think it was Pennsylvania that at one time was flintlock only...but now I think they allow most commen muzzle-loaders percussion and otherwise now....maybe have a separate flintlock season. Some states don't allow optics...states vary considerably on caliber and bullet weight regulations too.

No...I don't really mind modern muzzle-loaders as long as it's a BP/BP sub...the smokless capeable guns give me the heebie-jeebies. Scopes are fine by me as well. However it really wouldn't hurt my feelings if my state(Oklahoma) would have a separate non-scoped..traditional muzzle-loader season. We got plenty of deer!
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Check regs for excate dates.Pa has a late season statewide flintkock ignition only starting day after Christmas and runs till middle of Jan.You are allowed orginal sights and also peepsights.Some talk about allowing red dot but scopes or any sight which will magnify.Pa has an early statewide muzzleloader only for doe in October where as long as it is a friont loader it is ok.Us senior hunters and use a regular rifle the last 3 days of that season.Youmust have an unused doe tag for the WMU you are hunting in.It also overlaps with the archery season.Chec and double che the regs.Especially on which WMU and special regs area you are in.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I believe TC gave up on the somewhat traditional guns after a fire destroyed the factory. JIMHO new in lines are not muzzleloaders.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

jnyork wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:49 pm
The only ones left shooting traditional flinters or percussion locks are the hardcore fanatics and re-enacters.

And us old pharts, that have returned from the Dark Side....... :roll:

:mrgreen:

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

piller wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:04 pm Just a simple question, or it seems to be one to me. Would you consider a caplock with a side hammer to be primitive enough for primitive firearm season, or would it need to be a flintlock? I am not trying to start a fight. I just would like to hear from the members on here about this issue because of the respect I have for the people on here.
Percussion guns are perfectly all right for primitive hunts IMHO, they date back to about 1840 or so which is even a little before MY time. :D I have a friend who has hunted with a simple mule-ear rifle for years and has been successful many times.

The whole idea of primitive hunts is to take you back in time and make you hunt the way your ancestors hunted. Makes it a hunting experience instead of a game-shooting experience.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

piller wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:04 pmJust a simple question, or it seems to be one to me. Would you consider a caplock with a side hammer to be primitive enough for primitive firearm season, or would it need to be a flintlock? I am not trying to start a fight. I just would like to hear from the members on here about this issue because of the respect I have for the people on here.
Since I only have a caplock rifle, I believe they qualify for primitive... as long as they of traditional design & operation. I believe my Santa Fe Hawken fits that criteria! :shock:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Marvin S wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:46 pm I believe TC gave up on the somewhat traditional guns after a fire destroyed the factory. JIMHO new in lines are not muzzleloaders.
Or, shortly after being purchased by Smith & Wesson.
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

765x53 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:13 pm
Marvin S wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:46 pm I believe TC gave up on the somewhat traditional guns after a fire destroyed the factory. JIMHO new in lines are not muzzleloaders.
Or, shortly after being purchased by Smith & Wesson.
I think the factory fire wiped out production of those cool TC87 switch-barrel rifles. From what I could determine online...somewhere around 2012 or so the traditional guns were phased out. They were expensive...compared to some arms on the market...like $80 to $120 inlines you screw a scope on and go.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The factory fire @ T/C was much earlier, and destroyed only the buildings, machines & blueprints used to manufacture the downsized Cherokee, Patriot & Seneca front stuffers, and not anything to do with their other traditional guns.

The Hawkens, etc, were discontinued after the S&W purchase and subsequent move from Rochester, N.H. to Springfield, MA..

Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

The Patriot was thier best shooter.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

When I moved to Arkansaw in 1977 I tried to start a local NMLRA club but didn't have much luck. People were going to the new rifles and didn't like black powder, I have never fired a round with the artificial stuff like Pyrodex or any of Jim Shockey's stuff. When I talked to the game warden about the new rifles and powder he said that's how it is. I think our muzzle loading season was called black powder hunt. I feel the same way about bow season, the new bows with trining wheels and scopes just ain't bow hunting. One game warden told me that using a caplock Kentucky rifle should not be aloud and I should be using a matchlock.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Ray wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:29 am
even among some so called muzzleloaders, mention that you still hunt with a side-lock loaded with patched round balls and you receive a mean expression and an indignant snort…..

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their crotches..... :mrgreen: