10/22s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

10/22s

Post by 2ndovc »

They sure are fun little rifles. I bought a new takedown model last summer on sale at a local shop when they were having a pretty good sale. I shot it a few times, put it back in the bag and didn't do much with it. The trigger was horrible and like most .22s the factory stock is far too short for me, but that's nothing unusual. Midway was having a sale on Magpul stuff so I bought a new stock, picked up a new "tuned" trigger group on gunbroker, and a new Bushnell scope and I have a nifty little plinker on my hands. I was really pleased with the new stock and al the extra spacers that Magpul so thoughtfully included for us knuckle dragger's. :D
Had a chance Friday to stop out at the range on a near 50 degree day to get the scope on paper. All was going well until the POA started shifting all over. The mounting screws weren't tight and the mount was moving about an 1/8th of an inch or so. Rats! Still a nice day outside for a change.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 10/22s

Post by Stevie »

I've owned at least three of those over the years...should have my rear end kicked for trading off a deluxe model.

I have a keeper now...the first Ruger 10/22 I have seen with a metal butt-plate and first standard carbine with a walnut stock. I think my walnut standard carbine dates to like 1974 according to Ruger's serial number look-up.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Blue Loctite brother, you need some Loctite. Beautiful rifle by the way, should be death on squirrels.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I really like the look & utility of those takedown 10/22's.

My Son still has & uses the walnut-stock/metal-buttplate standard carbine that he appropriated from me in the early 70's, when he first started hunting with me (as opposed to the years of range shooting).

Since I was fairly short of funs than, instead of buying a single shot to start him off shooting, I just used the 10/22, leaving the empty magazine in place, and never telling him (until he was much older) that the 10/22 was a repeater.

(I used to have him manually load it directly into the chamber, shoot, then lock the bolt back for the next manual loading - basically an auto-eject single-shot rifle, much like the old .22 cal Winchester Model 55).

He said that he's never missed with it, since the (El Paso) Weaver 4x with a dot reticle got mounted way back then - we both just place the dot where we'd like the bullet to land.

It had a somewhat rough trigger when I first bought it new, which I soon disassembled & smoothed out - something that's been impossible ever since Ruger switched to trigger parts made of junk (why Volquartsen triggers sell so well).

I've since gifted my 3 Grandsons with stainless/synthetic carbines - and only wish that the takedown model had been introduced back then (that stock with adj LOP would have come in handy for the wee ones).

Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

I went to Acadamy or one of the sporting goods' stores looking for some factory 10 shot Ruger mags for my 10-22....All they had were 25 shot aftermarket mags. The clerk acted like I was crazy for wanting a factory ten shot mag!

I couldn't find a factory mag anywhere close by and ended up ordering a couple direct from Ruger.

Something to remember if your old dirty Ruger mag starts acting up...you can take them apart and clean the crud out of the internals and re-tension the spring. The Ruger 10-22 is a classic design for sure and there is about as much after-market goodies available for them as an AR rifle...
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Wow, what's the LOP? 16"? You must be 7 feet tall
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

My first 10-22 was of the same period, with metal butt plate but "birch wood" stock (?). Like a moron, I traded it off for a nickel plated S&W model ten, in fair shape. Can't remember where the S&W went though... :oops:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice looking rifle JB, bet it ends up shooting real fine. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

44shooter wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:36 am Wow, what's the LOP? 16"? You must be 7 feet tall
Ha, that was funny! Just over 6'2". :D

LOP is 14 1/2". It does look longer than that. It still fits in the take down case but just barely.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

That's a nice looking stock. I might consider one of those for my bull barrel 10/22. If you have several weeks to kill go to the rimfirecentral.com forums and look at what everyone has done with their 10/22s. Some of those guys spend big $$$.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

While I doubt that Bill Ruger expected such a plethora of aftermarket parts for the 10/22, it is sure nice that they are out there. With a minimal knowledge of tools and a budget which isn't anything to brag about, most folks can add to and accurize the 10/22 to where it will be a target rifle second to none in the under $1,500 class. With a new stock and a carbon fiber bull barrel, a Volquartsen trigger, and a good scope it can be used for squirrell hunting or target shooting and do well with either use. Those are simple and relatively inexpensive modifications with consistently good results. If you want to and can spend more, you can make it something to embarrass the hand fitted single shot target guns on occasion.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Take the takedown model add an EGW base Warne Quick detach rings, a decent scope, a suppressor, and a couple mags of Remington subsonic and you have the shopping list for a great day.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I love the 10/22 platform. The last rifle my Dad gave me before he died was a 10/22. It will always be one of my favorites.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Great looking rifle.
It is not the critic who counts