Shot My Antique Winchester 1892 Today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DaveInPA
Levergunner

Shot My Antique Winchester 1892 Today

Post by DaveInPA »

I put 50 rounds through my 1895-vintage Winchester 1892 in .38 WCF today out at a friend's. The attached target was my first 5 shots, from about 50 yards offhand. POA was 6 o'clock on the bull. I'm hoping full power loads will shoot lower, and closer to POA due to less dwell time in the barrel.

FWIW, I'm happy with the group considering the condition of the bore near the muzzle, and especially since my almost 50 year old eyes can barely use the microscopic notch in the rear sight.

Recoil with the Ultramax cowboy loads was about like shooting a .22. We didn't have any malfunctions.

We mostly shot at an 8" gong and the .38-40s smacked it pretty good. We also shot my Cimarron 1873 Sporting Rifle in .44 WCF a little with my handloads (200 grain cast lead bullet on top of 8.6 grains of Unique). Those really smacked the gong around.

The flintlock in the picture is my friend's Euroarms Kentuckian carbine. A couple years ago he took a deer during the antlerless season, shooting out the window of his living room. Today was the last day of Pennsylvania's late flintlock season. He was considering taking the rifle on a walk around his property after we were done to see if he could fill his flintlock tag.

After we finished up and I was standing there cleaning the rifle, and my friend had packed up all his stuff and taken it inside, a nice big doe came out about 25 yards behind our shooting position. Figures.

For some icing on the cake, tonight I won an auction for an Ideal Number 6 reloading tool for .38 WCF. The nickel plating looks to be in good shape, and going by some more pics from the auction listing, the mold cavity looks to be good. It'll be fun to use it to cook up some black powder .38-40s.

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shot My Antique Winchester 1892 Today

Post by JerryB »

That's some fine looking firearms. I do like my 1917 1892 32wcf. That flintlock looks like a good shooter.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Very nice 92 & 73, really like both!! had a 73 (new Winchester) in my hands the other day if it would of been in 38-40 I
would have bought it but it was a 44-40 & I don't need another one of them, to bad the doe waited until the flintlock
was put away

Brad
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Dave,
As far as your 92 shooting high, just pop on another front sight about .085 taller.

I have the exact same 38-40 loading tool/mould and have cast many bullets from mine...excellent design and you can use smokeless with it also.

What town are you located near? I'm about five miles south of West Chester.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

DaveInPA
Levergunner

Post by DaveInPA »

Thanks. One thing I did not try was to remove the rear sight elevator completely. That might bring the POI down far enough.

I live in Plymouth Meeting, Montgomery County.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Fine looking rifle, Dave. It looks like it is just waiting for a nice tang sight, which would let you adjust the group on down where you need it. Warmer loads will probably shoot a little lower, but I'd be surprised if they are that much lower.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Awesome gun, envious.