450 inches of suture...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

450 inches of suture...

Post by AJMD429 »

After coyote....
Screenshot_2018-01-26-11-38-35-1.png
After 3 hrs of surgery....
Screenshot_2018-01-26-11-40-00-1.png
Son standing watch...
Screenshot_2018-01-26-11-40-13-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 450 inches of suture...

Post by crs »

Ouch!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

God job Doc!! As a Boy on the farm across the street from Us the had a herd of sheep. a bunch of local house dogs got in the pasture and made a mess out of the sheep several had to be put down. The farmer had a hired Hand , Bill who was a crack shot and He killed two of the dogs. The owners of the dogs All were high & mighty until they saw what the dogs did.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Main reason I kill every coyote on sight!!

Brad
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

When I was young living in Western Oregon on the family homestead place with sheep, we had dogs get into our sheep killed 7 and wounded others.
The dogs would roam in small packs, we always shot them on sight, but missed seeing that attack. I think dog control is better today with fewer loose
dogs. Now the problem is wolves in Eastern Oregon attacking livestock of all kind. Here in the Western part of the state cougars are coming down onto
farms because the numbers are up. Oregon now does not allow dogs to hunt with, makes it nearly impossible to kill them.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Healers and support staff are among the few groups of folks who have my deep respect and appreciation. Good job, Doc AJ!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That's sad. We have them all over around here. Sadly, I'm in a no shooting zone.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Good thing that you know how to suture like that. Coyotes have not been eradicated, and it isn't for lack of trying. I have no qualms about killing them whenever possible.

Years ago, an Uncle had a small herd of cattle which were in the South pasture behind the house. A pack of dogs started attacking the cattle, and my Uncle got a rifle and a couple of boxes of ammunition and hurried out to the pasture. He used a fencepost for support and started shooting. He reloaded and kept going. When it was ofer in just a short while, there were 13 dead dogs in the pasture and some of the few which got away were carrying lead. He was a WWII Infantry Veteran who fought in North Africa with Patton's 2nd Armored Division all the way through to the Battle of The Bulge. He didn't miss when he shot at something. When the remaining dogs ran away, he went out and checked the cattle. He patched up one which had some damage, then went out and took the collars with tags off of the dead dogs which had them and went inside and called the owners to let them know what had happened. He only had to get rough with one owner. He had to let that owner know about Oklahoma law and stated that he would call the Sheriff if necessary. I watched it all. As a 6 year old who already knew that those cattle were part of his livelihood, I understood why my Uncle was protecting them with a gun. That is a big part of why I kill dogs running in packs when necessary, and kill coyotes when I can.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:55 pm That's sad. We have them all over around here. Sadly, I'm in a no shooting zone.
That's why I like...........Suppressors.......... :twisted:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:19 pm Good thing that you know how to suture like that. Coyotes have not been eradicated, and it isn't for lack of trying. I have no qualms about killing them whenever possible.

Years ago, an Uncle had a small herd of cattle which were in the South pasture behind the house. A pack of dogs started attacking the cattle, and my Uncle got a rifle and a couple of boxes of ammunition and hurried out to the pasture. He used a fencepost for support and started shooting. He reloaded and kept going. When it was ofer in just a short while, there were 13 dead dogs in the pasture and some of the few which got away were carrying lead. He was a WWII Infantry Veteran who fought in North Africa with Patton's 2nd Armored Division all the way through to the Battle of The Bulge. He didn't miss when he shot at something. When the remaining dogs ran away, he went out and checked the cattle. He patched up one which had some damage, then went out and took the collars with tags off of the dead dogs which had them and went inside and called the owners to let them know what had happened. He only had to get rough with one owner. He had to let that owner know about Oklahoma law and stated that he would call the Sheriff if necessary. I watched it all. As a 6 year old who already knew that those cattle were part of his livelihood, I understood why my Uncle was protecting them with a gun. That is a big part of why I kill dogs running in packs when necessary, and kill coyotes when I can.
Yeah - a feral dog or cat is in big trouble if we see it. Coyotes are "natural predators", and although territories have shifted and they have replaced other predators in my neck of the woods over the years, I do feel like they are more a more normal part of the environment, and halfway don't like eliminating them. However I figure that as long as I'm around to keep my little place from becoming an industrial park or housing development, I'm protecting it from far worse eco-destruction than whacking a few coyotes, so for now, I'M part of the eco-system, and I'm a carnivore and sometimes kill competing carnivores off.... :D

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I shoot every one that I see. So do all my neighbors... sadly I'm seeing far fewer coyotes than I used to! :( :( But... in total, that's a good thing! :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Pretty much why I shoot yotes on sight. And why I trap and kill them here at home. It's crazy, you can't hunt them in an urban area, but you can trap them. Then once you trap them you either have to kill them at that location or let them go. That's what happens when idiots make the rules. :roll:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

That's why I like suppressors. FunnybDoc thats the first thing that popped into my head.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

They've never actually caused me problems at this point but I can hear them yelping at night if I sit out on the front porch. I'd still rather not have them around.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
LESAGEMIKE
Levergunner

Post by LESAGEMIKE »

Becoming more common around here in southern Ohio also. That was really nice work. Lots of skill is what I saw!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

We just stared getting those coyotes in the last several years....I personally have not seen any yet but my inlaws, who are custom butchers get the info from the local game wardens. Needless to say, if and when I see them, they will catch hot lead....still legal here to shoot.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

My dad, an old Arizona cowman, on why he didn't shoot coyotes:
"They eat squirrels. They eat rabbits. They eat sheep. Hard to fault a critter that does all that".
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, there is some iron in those words of your father's.
In my experience, coyotes pretty much kill to eat, and that goat survived those injuries only because he was too tough to pull down. I am sure the coyotes really wanted goat for dinner and broke off that attack hungry and disappointed.
Now cougars and feral (or even tame) dogs are another matter when their lust is up. They'll kill all they can with no thought of eating their harvest. I visited a pasture west of Eugene, Oregon, many years ago where some local house dogs tore open a half dozen ewes and left them to die. A friend with a small ranch outside of Medford lost his entire flock of rare sheep -- almost two dozen -- in a single night's attack by a young cougar that a government hunter later killed.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:51 am Earl, there is some iron in those words of your father's.
In my experience, coyotes pretty much kill to eat, and that goat survived those injuries only because he was too tough to pull down. I am sure the coyotes really wanted goat for dinner and broke off that attack hungry and disappointed.
Now cougars and feral (or even tame) dogs are another matter when their lust is up. They'll kill all they can with no thought of eating their harvest. I visited a pasture west of Eugene, Oregon, many years ago where some local house dogs tore open a half dozen ewes and left them to die. A friend with a small ranch outside of Medford lost his entire flock of rare sheep -- almost two dozen -- in a single night's attack by a young cougar that a government hunter later killed.
Apparently the coyotes in New Mexico are different than ours. They have a tendency to kill for fun. And they don't mind killing anything up to and including adult humans.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Please cite all instances you know of of coyotes killing human adults.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

One sad thing about coyotes is that "city folk" don't think a "small dog" can do that kind of damage to a goat. In the outlying areas Los Angeles they are often fed and no one is concerned until pets turn up missing...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Mike, they are definitely death on cats.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Back in the late 70s we had to suture up our dog on the kitchen table. She got a lovely 3 point tear about 3" on a side in her chest after tearing out to catch a field mouse or something and missing her jump through the barbed wire.

Had our neighbor (a mortician) come over and stitch her up (not much money those days...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

There are lots of coyotes around here, but I NEVER shoot 'em. Because they NEVER show themselves in the daytime when I can see 'em.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:02 am Please cite all instances you know of of coyotes killing human adults.
Without digging very deep about two seconds on google.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote_attacks_on_humans

In my area alone there have been several attacks on kids, and adults attacked while interrupting coyote attacks on pets. Urban coyotes have absolutely no fear of humans. Heck, I was chased out of small green space in the middle of Griffith Park (think observatory and Greek Theater) during the day while eating lunch. Three of them just figured I'd feed them and got aggressive when I didn't.

No kids, shooting was not an option if I wanted to remain out of jail.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I had not heard of the two fatal attacks mentioned.
I fully agree that urban coyotes are a different "breed o' cat" than the ones I see in the country, chasing mice after the hay is cut, and it is a shame that they cannot be more easily controlled.
That said, two reported fatalities in several decades vs:

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-stati ... 4NEALw_wcB
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Lost my little Chiorky about 2 weeks ago. Most probably to coyotes but she was small enough that an owl could have been the culprit. Lots of coyotes around here and there are several here who try to control their numbers. Some of the boys from the north end of our county run them with sight dogs. Usually 8 or so dogs in a box that has doors which can be dropped from the cab to release the dogs. The dogs are a cross between greyhounds or whippets and Irish Wolfhounds. Sometimes Airedales in the mix. Really fun to watch them. Oh yeah, they look just like Nath's Jess, only 70 or 80 pounds.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:50 am I had not heard of the two fatal attacks mentioned.
I fully agree that urban coyotes are a different "breed o' cat" than the ones I see in the country, chasing mice after the hay is cut, and it is a shame that they cannot be more easily controlled.

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-stati ... 4NEALw_wcB
Never said dogs weren't a problem, feral or domestic that the owners let run loose.

If I catch one in my trap at home I turn it over to the animal cops. Those without collars go into the system for what ever awaits them. Those with collars get a fine. If it's aggressive in the trap it gets the same treatment as a yote. Those I see running loose out on public land also meet the same fate as a coyote.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

How do the dogs pay the fines?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

JohndeFresno wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:38 pm How do the dogs pay the fines?
My bad, I should have said tags. The county loves to pick up dogs with tags, it's like money in the bank. And, if it's not tagged, they will remove it and deal with it from there.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

M.M. -- sorry for your loss. I never had small dogs until a couple of years ago, and lost them to divorce. Those little toots really grew on me, and I did worry about their vulnerability to predation. They were too big for owls, but not too big for coyotes, cougars, bobcats or a Golden eagle.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

#26 Unread post by Bill in Oregon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:50 am

I had not heard of the two fatal attacks mentioned.

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-stati ... 4NEALw
_wcB
Yep, even the Coyotes are crazy in CA! :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Coyotes in the wild are one thing, but coyotes in agricultural and suburban areas are quite a different issue. They can be bold creatures.

We used to shoot coyotes and feral dogs by the truck-load out at the county dump. Shot every one I saw for years. It was a benefit to the community.

Did some hunting down in the Chihuahuan desert. Out in the middle of nowhere they are quite entertaining and they mind their own business. It was a transforming experience sitting by the fire drinking coffee in a silent desert and then hearing them (lots of them) sing/communicate as the moon came up. Like it must have been back when.

I'd still choose to eliminate every one I see in town, if it were legal.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Years ago when I lived in Oregon, we had a golden retriever pup that went feral on us. I got a call from a neighbor a half mile up the road who said my dog was in his sheep pasture with a couple other dogs, chasing the sheep. They had lost a 4H project a year or two before to another golden retriever. I told him that he wouldn't see our dog up there again. The next day I went for a walk with me, the dog and a 22 rifle. When I came back home, it was me and the rifle that returned.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

:oops:
AJMD429 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:06 pm
piller wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:19 pm Good thing that you know how to suture like that. Coyotes have not been eradicated, and it isn't for lack of trying. I have no qualms about killing them whenever possible.

Yeah - a feral dog or cat is in big trouble if we see it. Coyotes are "natural predators", and although territories have shifted and they have replaced other predators in my neck of the woods over the years, I do feel like they are more a more normal part of the environment, and halfway don't like eliminating them. However I figure that as long as I'm around to keep my little place from becoming an industrial park or housing development, I'm protecting it from far worse eco-destruction than whacking a few coyotes, so for now, I'M part of the eco-system, and I'm a carnivore and sometimes kill competing carnivores off.... :D
+1
It is not the critic who counts