It Ain't A Levergun - My January Project - RANGE DAY

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

It Ain't A Levergun - My January Project - RANGE DAY

Post by JimT »

I took the little Savage to the range today. ( hmmm... that would make a good opening line a book ... sorry .. back to the subject) Today was nice and sunny and the wind was not blowing! I set up at 25 yards .. shooting first at a vertical line for windage and then at a horizontal line for elevation. I used Federal .22 Long Rifle hollowpoints at first. Later I shot Federal 40 gr. round nose.

My first two shots at the vertical line seemed to indicate that I had the windage ok when I fired it on the indoor range in my shop.

My first two shots at the horizontal line seemed close enough also.

The 40 gr. roundnose hit a bit higher than the hollowpoints but I decided to leave the sights where they were.

Three-Shot group with Federal hollowpoints .... 25 yards from the bench.

I am happy with it the way the sights are right now. I spent time shooting some clay pigeons and then picking off the pieces. Hitting pieces the size of a quarter was not much of a problem. I enjoy the handling of it with the shorter barrel.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Re: It Ain't A Levergun - My January Project - RANGE DAY

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Aloha Jim. Not too shabby grouping! Nice job on the gunsmithing too. You mentioned your shop. Does this shop have a metal lathe, bandsaw, drill press, etc. to perform your work or did you do it all by hand? The front sight dovetail especially, did you cut that by hand using a triangular file? I much prefer peep signts over any other especially on 22 rifles. I put a M1 Carbine style folding peep on my old 10/22, and a Tang peep on my Taurus 62LAR levergun. In fact I think I receiver peeps on all my leverguns. Only scopes are on my model 70 30-06, and my stainless H&R Handi Rifle in .223. Great job, and great shooting. Looking forward to your future posts. Thanks!
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ji in Hawaii wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:23 pm Aloha Jim. Not too shabby grouping! Nice job on the gunsmithing too. You mentioned your shop. Does this shop have a metal lathe, bandsaw, drill press, etc. to perform your work or did you do it all by hand? The front sight dovetail especially, did you cut that by hand using a triangular file? I much prefer peep signts over any other especially on 22 rifles. I put a M1 Carbine style folding peep on my old 10/22, and a Tang peep on my Taurus 62LAR levergun. In fact I think I receiver peeps on all my leverguns. Only scopes are on my model 70 30-06, and my stainless H&R Handi Rifle in .223. Great job, and great shooting. Looking forward to your future posts. Thanks!
Good to hear from you Ji.

I did all the work by hand, though we do have most of the equipment. I bought a dovetail jig and cut the dovetail with a 3/8" Mill Bastard file and then a small triangle file for the undercuts.

The dovetail for the rear sight (in the side of the receiver) I cut just by eyeball and the use of a dial caliper.

The barrel was cut off using a 32 teeth to the inch blade in the hacksaw ... and going slowly. :)

At my age I don't see open sights well anymore and much prefer the aperture sight on rifle. All of mine have them now that I have the .22 working.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

There's just nothing that provides as much fun as an accurate .22.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

FWiedner wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:52 pm There's just nothing that provides as much fun as an accurate .22.

:mrgreen:
AMEN!!