Will Lever evolution 444work in my Winchester 94 has 1in 38 twist

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

Will Lever evolution 444work in my Winchester 94 has 1in 38 twist

Post by dgr416 »

I just looked on.the box of hornady lever evolution 444 .It says 1 in 20 twist or faster .My big bore 94 444 wood carbine has 1in 38 twist will it work in it .I have never shot a 444 or lever evolution ammo .I don't want to waste $30 a box on it .I know the 265 grain hornady interlock ammo will work in.it .I.found three boxes of the lever evolution didn't want to make a mistake !
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Re: Will Lever evolution 444work in my Winchester 94 has 1in 38 twist

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

As a rule the tighter the rifling twist the better it shoots heavier (longer contact area) projectiles. If your gun already shoots regular 265 JSPs I would think it would shoot the 265 grain Leverlutions just as well. The Leverlution bullet design has a smaller bearing area due to it's pointy nose so I would think the it would shoot fine in the 1/38 twist. This is all conjecture as I have never shot Leverlution ammo. My 44 mag 1894 Marlin shoots 265 grain pills just fine BUT it is at lower velocities than a 444 so that could make all the difference in the world. Also each individual gun has it's preferences. Everything I read on the subject says my 1 in 12" twist 223 barrel of my H&R Handi should not shoot 70 grain pills with accuracy (1 in twist preferred) but my rifle shoots them just fine.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dgr416 »

Half the people Said it would work half said it would not work in.it .I.hate to waste $30 on ammo.that won't work .The cases can't be reloaded with regular bullets either too short .I.found three boxes at the store only 444 I found .This might be a reload only rifle for sure .I hope wc867 powder works in.it with heavy bullets I.have a bunch of that stuff .It might be the ticket with heavy cast bullets .There are about 5000 bullet powder combos with the 444! Hope I.can get some good loads !
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Stay with the 265 rn, it is.a beter performiñg bullet anyway. The only thing the gummie grenade offers is a flatter traqectory. The blow up too easy for my taste.
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dgr416 »

I found a bunch of Remington 240 grain.444for $20 a box New .I can't load it for that much .It should work good on deer then I.can reload it with 265 grain hornady interlock or 270 grain.Speer bullets .I.Have had tons of problems with hornady brass usually too.thick and caused pressure problems !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Don't know about in the 444, but the LeverEvolution ammo never worked well in my .30-30 when used on anything other than targets. It didn't hold together well enough in my experience. Should that be true in the 444, then it might disappoint you too.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dgr416 »

I.Have heard that a bunch lately .I.think.this 240 grain.Remington will work fine on.deer up to 150 yards .I am going to try a bunch of different reloads with heavier bullets when I get a chance with this crazy weather .I can't hardly load this stuff for $20 a box .The brass is awesome too .I.Have had tons of problems with anything.that says hornady on.it especially brass ,bullets and dies they are not up to par with their products in my.opinion .I.their ammo in.many.calibers and same thing quality control .The brass is terrible it's either too thick or buckles .Hopefully I.get some loads together soon !