bbl

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

bbl

Post by 4t5 »

When a firearm has a listing such as... 5" bbl, what do the letters actually stand for?
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Re: bbl

Post by Stevie »

Barrel...as in oil barrel...unit of measurement...but I guess it's used to mean gun barrel too.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Some say that "bbl" was the abbreviation for the blue barrels Standard Oil originally used for shipment. Prior to their use of the blue barrel, most barrels (of beer, wine, etc.) were 40 gallons. The blue barrels were 42 gallons, the extra two gallons to account for evaporation and leakage in shipment; thus, when a buyer purchased oil in "blue barrels" he knew he was getting at least a minimum of 40 gallons, and the 42-gallon "bbl" became the standard unit of petroleum measurement, as well as the Standard measurement!

To most folks a barrel is a barrel, so a gun barrel became abbreviated as bbl, as well.

That's the story, anyhow, although some say the abbreviation came in to being earlier.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Pisgah wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:53 pm... although some say the abbreviation came in to being earlier.
One oil industry historical society says "the abbreviation 'bbl' had been in use before the 1859 birth of the petroleum industry." The Wikipedia article on "barrel" cites this work and others.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Pisgah wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:53 pm
To most folks a barrel is a barrel, so a gun barrel became abbreviated as bbl, as well.

Yep - That's my story, too, and I'm keepin' to it ! :roll:

:mrgreen:

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Pete44ru wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:04 pm
Pisgah wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:53 pm

Yep - That's my story, too, and I'm keepin' to it ! :roll:

:mrgreen:

+1. :D