WWII Aircraft Quiz: "Why The Screwdriver?" (answered)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

WWII Aircraft Quiz: "Why The Screwdriver?" (answered)

Post by Old No7 »

Off topic, but just for fun...

That's a P47 Thunderbolt -- an early model "Jug" -- that much most of us will know...

Notice the screwdriver in front of each wheel chock...

* "Where and why did that practice originate?" :?:

I'll be traveling a couple of days on business -- and I'll check back in later this week to see how you guys did... :wink:

Old No7

< Double-click on the image to enlarge it >
img122 (Small).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Old No7 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: WWII Aircraft Quiz: "Why The Screwdriver?"

Post by Pitchy »

Seems to me it kept the chock in place. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Notice that the aircraft is parked on PSP (pierced steel planking) used for runways and parking areas. It is slippery as owl poop when wet. Those are pins driven into the ground through holes in the PSP to keep the chocks from slipping.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

+2 - the Marston Mat metal decking (PSP - perforated steel planking) seen in the pic won't keep the chock(s) from sliding if/when wind pushed the aircraft against it, like tarmac would hold the chocks.

The Marston Mat was invented/developed shortly before WWII.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

Speaking of chocks and wind. I was stationed in Newfoundland in 1964. Three Nave P2V's stayed overnight one night and we in Transit Maintenance parked, chocked and sandbagged the chocks. We had winds in the 50 mph range that shifted after we parked them. The Sargent told us to go out and "weathervane" (turn them into the wind) the P2V's with our tug. We came back to the shop about 10 minutes later and he asked us what the hell we were doing. We told him the 3 aircraft weathervaned themselves, all we had to do was move the chocks and bags to where the wheels were. All 3 jumped the chocks and luckily no damage!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Yep; the chocks will move, saw it happen many times. Even on the tarmac.
I was in Naval Aviation in the late 1950's. Stationed at NAS Corpus Christi, Texas. We were a training base for multi-engine aircraft.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lefty Dude on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

And that's why aircraft is TIED down as well as chocked for long term.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

jnyork wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:37 pm Notice that the aircraft is parked on PSP (pierced steel planking) used for runways and parking areas. It is slippery as owl poop when wet. Those are pins driven into the ground through holes in the PSP to keep the chocks from slipping.
Yep, owl poop, nothing more slippy in all creation :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I thought deer guts on a doorknob was the standard for most slippery?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Marston Mat is indeed slippery, and even more so if it gets wet and muddy! I worked as an electrician in a steel foundry and they had literally tons of the stuff laid down outside in the scrap area. You could easily end up on your tail if you weren't careful out there on a rainy day!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Malamute wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:47 am I thought deer guts on a doorknob was the standard for most slippery?
That's second most buddy :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Interesting replies above -- thanks for playing!

And the answer is...

The screwdriver in front of the wheel chock was a visual clue to the pilot that the aircraft was armed, fueled and all ready to go -- just in case a "scramble" was called while the Crew Chief or Flight Chief were elsewhere.

Those images were taken at Debden, England where my late father served with the 4th Fighter Group. Debden was an active RAF base hosting the famed Eagle Squadrons (American pilots flying Spitfires, serviced by mostly American ground crews) until more and more Yanks came on and the group transferred to the US Army Air Corp and Thunderbolts. My dad liked the early days the best saying "We had much better officers and food under the Brits", but then again, he loved the mighty P51 Mustangs that arrived when the P47s were phased out.

Anyway, "the screwdriver in front of the wheel chock" was a holdover from the RAF; most likely, the 4th may have been one of the few 8th Air Force fighter groups to continue the practice. "Scrambles" weren't called as often as they were back in the early days of the Battle of Britain, as most flights were scheduled to coordinate with the slower outbound bombers; but that holdover from the RAF continued through the end of the war.

Old No7

Note the "E" on the chock matches the "E" on the aircraft, coded "WD E". ("WD" was code for "three hundred thirty fifth" squadron by all other groups in the 8th, but at Debden, the group was always referred to as "three-three-five" squadron -- yet another holdover from their days spent with the RAF and the Brits.)
img109 (Small).jpg
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: WWII Aircraft Quiz: "Why The Screwdriver?" (answered)

Post by gamekeeper »

Interesting snipit, no one would want to take off against the Luftwaffe without fuel or ammo, makes perfect sense.
Once again Darryl I'd like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude to your late father for his service.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Malamute wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:47 amI thought deer guts on a doorknob was the standard for most slippery?
And here I've been thinking it was snot on a Louisiana swamp. :)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

The screwdriver in front of the wheel chock was a visual clue to the pilot that the aircraft was armed, fueled and all ready to go -- just in case a "scramble" was called while the Crew Chief or Flight Chief were elsewhere.
Very interesting 8)
We just left a beer bottle in front of the chock to let the pilot know he was armed and ready and the plane had been fully inspected. :lol:
Just kidding. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Pitchy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:43 pm
Very interesting 8)
We just left a beer bottle in front of the chock to let the pilot know he was armed and ready and the plane had been fully inspected. :lol:
Just kidding. :)
We placed a sign that said COCKED in the window.