It Ain't A Levergun - My January Project

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

It Ain't A Levergun - My January Project

Post by JimT »

Back before Christmas I was in Walmart and saw the Savage Model 62 on sale for less than $100.00. Well .. I couldn't pass it up so I bought one. It's a nice accurate .22 rifle and I have been collecting bits and pieces of things to do some custom work on it.

The first thing I did was lighten the spring on the magazine release. It was HEAVY. But it also was a quick easy fix.

I also removed the sling studs from the stock and filled in the holes.

I wanted to put an aperture sight on it and looked around until I saw the rear sight assembly for the little Crickett .22 rifle. I ordered on of those.

Then I cut a dovetail into the side of the receiver so the sight can slide up and down to adjust elevation.

I drilled and tapped the receiver for the lock screw. Ain't pretty but it will do until I get a better one. :)

I decided to take 4 1/4" inches off the barrel, leaving it 16 3/4" long. I cut a dovetail for the new front sight, installed a Marbles sight and cut the barrel off.

I polished the end of the barrel and used a 45 degree reamer on the muzzle.

I may shorten the forend later. I want to shoot it some first and see how I like it.

I shot it on my indoor range and have it centered as far as windage. It will go to the range soon.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: It Ain't A Levergun - My January Project

Post by JerryB »

You made a fine looking little rifle out it, Savage should put that on the market.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My Cricket .22 has that same type peep.
My kids, grand kids, and some of their friends learned to shoot with it. It is tucked away in the safe until next needed.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

crs wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:06 pm My Cricket .22 has that same type peep.
My kids, grand kids, and some of their friends learned to shoot with it. It is tucked away in the safe until next needed.
That is a great sight. They sell the entire assembly ... it would work well on many rifles.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Thanks Jim. So important to get those kids started off right. I need to figure out an adjustable length butt to allow different size kids to fit the rifle. Any ideas?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

M. M. Wright wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:16 pm Thanks Jim. So important to get those kids started off right. I need to figure out an adjustable length butt to allow different size kids to fit the rifle. Any ideas?
Sorry.. I don't know much of anything anout that... Yiu might try some of the "slip on" recoil pads? Add something in them to make the length correct? Or maybe someone on this forum has abetter idea.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Nice handy work, you now have a slick little rig!

Brad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

M. M. Wright wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:16 pm Thanks Jim. So important to get those kids started off right. I need to figure out an adjustable length butt to allow different size kids to fit the rifle. Any ideas?
It would be a totally different direction, but we wound up using a CAR-15 with a 22 LR adapter. It was the ONLY gun (even including 'kids' guns) that truly had a short enough stock the kid didn't have to stick it in his/her armpit to shoot (watch a 4-6 year old kid trying to use most 'kids' rifles). The high sights helped the kid not have to scrunch their head down un-naturally low, and the rugged design meant they couldn't mess it up (the bird-cage flash hider was more than once seen clogged with mud but the bore stayed open). Plus - it looks 'cool' (although my kids liked leverguns better - but couldn't actually hit the target with them, or our bolt-action cut-down 'kids' gun, nearly as well as with the CAR-15. When the kid grows up enough, you take the 22 LR adapter out and use regular 223.....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I like it, can't wait for the testing reports :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Great idea Jim. The kids have an airsoft AR around here that has an adjustable CAR style stock on it that I can rob for the project. There are several single shot 22s in our stuff so I'll probably modify one to take the CAR stock.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Good Job! I'm in the "thinkin' phase" of a 22 semi-auto truck gun and like your customization... :mrgreen:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool! I was given a Model 62 a couple years ago. Looked like it had been left on the beach somewhere. I painted the plastic stock and put a new trigger spring kit in it and it shoots surprisingly well. I like your carbine conversion!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Francosonny1120
Levergunner

Post by Francosonny1120 »

I just bought the same riffle 3 days ago and put a 3 X 9 CP Scope on it. At 100 yards you can put 5 for 5 the size of a dime, this riffle rocks and is so accurate. BTW, nice shooting open sights at 200 yards.