More info for the 10mm is a good round argument.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

More info for the 10mm is a good round argument.

Post by piller »

Here is a video of someone shooting ballistic gelatin with a .357 magnum and a 10mm with almost equal bullet weights in factory ammo where both are the same brand and bullet type. Not totally scientific, but it gives some information that could be useful.
https://youtu.be/cFg1FmnP-us
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hairtrigger
Levergunner 2.0

Re: More info for the 10mm is a good round argument.

Post by Hairtrigger »

If nothing else, you get to see a guy shoot his chronograph
I am one gun away from happy
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

I bought a Glock 20SF a couple years ago..just to see what 10mm is all about. Like the .357 mag there are all sorts of levels of ammunition for the 10mm. I'm not a big fan of super-duper extra big blast heavy bullet ammo you can buy from the specialty ammo manufacturers.

Best as I could tell with several varieties of factory ammo...the 10mm is more than a .357 mag...but it is not a .41 or .44 magnum. A Glock 20 does give you a 15 shot mag capacity of a powerful caliber. I'm not sure the mag capacity of the video guys Glock(Glock 29?)...but I do own a Desert Eagle .357 mag(inherited from father in law)..it will hold 10 rounds, however the Desert Eagle .357 will only run reliably with 158gr full power magnum ammo...the Glock 20 will run reliably with 10mm ammo that is fairly feeble(like .40S&W level)...plus the Glock will run with various bullet weights as well. I don't recommend it...but I have seen videos of guys firing G20 pistols with .40S&W ammo and the 10mm seems to run the shorter cartridge just fine. The Desert Eagle just ain't going to run with .38 Special although it will shoot them.

All that said...nothing like a fine .357 magnum revolver for fun shooting. I've never been too fond of the Desert Eagle .357 mag..it's a big/huge gun that sure looks cool in the movies...but I don't have 'Paul Bunyon' size hands. The Glock 20 is a fatty too. I do wish I had a S&W 10mm revolver...or maybe a Colt Delta Elite 10mm..but I don't

I was sort-off interested in the Glock 20 as a hunting handgun...but I have not bonded with it as well as I might. I certainly won't be getting rid of my 6" S&W 629 or Ruger Super Blackhawk in favor of the G20. I'm not knocking the Glock 20 at all..It's a superb pistol and I've not had a single jam or failure of any sort with it.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

The 10mm I pack around the Farm in Delta Junction is a Glock 30SF with a Bar-Sto 10mm barrel in it with some heavy loads. Way too many wolves and bears of all types there that I have seen while farming. I like the 10mm with the old loads and used them in a Delta Elite and an MP-5 in 10mm that I borrowed from the FBI for a while. Lighter than the revolvers in good calibers and hold more ammo for heavy skinned targets or winter coats.

Photos from Aug 2017.

It is not the critic who counts
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

MP-5 in 10mm....
Now THERE's an interesting gun.....!

MechTech does make an 'upper' in 10mm you can use on a Glock (and maybe on the 1911 platforms).....

http://mechtechsys.com
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Piller I saw this video a few days ago and noticed quite a difference in barrel length which would skew the results I think.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

One of my finest shooting revolvers is a Ruger single action in 38-40....10mm. The throats and groove diameter are perfect and this baby drills 180-200 gr. cast bullets at 1200 into beer cans out to 200.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Let's not ruin the FBI's party now ... they spent a lot of time and money turning the rim off of the 38-40.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

If I ever get a 10mm Glock I'm getting the longest barrel available (Glock 40 6") to burn as much powder under pressure as possible and get the most out of the 10mm cartridge. I wonder if I could get one with a 10 round magazine as that's all stupid Hawaii law allows for. Personally a Glock 29 does not make much sense to me wasting allot of potential powder energy as muzzle flash. Same for a snub-nose 357 Magnum. Just me, YMMV. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Just give me a big, fat, slow .45. Oh wait... I've already got several. But, what the hey, give me another... :twisted: :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hairtrigger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hairtrigger »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:02 pm
MP-5 in 10mm....
Now THERE's an interesting gun.....!

MechTech does make an 'upper' in 10mm you can use on a Glock (and maybe on the 1911 platforms).....

http://mechtechsys.com
I have Mechtech carbine conversions for both my G20 and Delta Elites
Very reliable and surprisingly accurate
If you buy one in 10mm you must reload. They are that fun
I am one gun away from happy
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:34 pm Let's not ruin the FBI's party now ... they spent a lot of time and money turning the rim off of the 38-40.
You mean the 40 NIRS? 38/40 New Improved Rimless Short.. Todd/3leg
Personally any single action with an extra 2-3 cylinders is a good option. My 45 Blackhawk has an extra 45ACP stainless cylinder.. I really like the 40S&W, especially if you could load up a light 40 load and a heavy 10mm that would shoot close wihout sight adjustments.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm guessing the "what's better, or best" debate will go on forever, as it sells gun magazines and guns. But in reality most centerfire handgun cartridges from the 9mm on up will do just fine for anybody needing to defend themselves. Sure their are situations where you're in deadly game hunting and need a big back up gun, or situations where you're handgun hunting, and want a specific caliber/gun.
What's really more important is the accuracy of your gun for the purpose it is used, and how much the owner wants to practice to be proficient. Doesn't matter which caliber you buy if you can't hit what you aim at when it's most needed.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Neither of those loads in the video were heavy-for-caliber loads. I'll stick with my 230 grain 45acp. (disclaimer: an LCP is my EDC :oops: )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:33 pm I'm guessing the "what's better, or best" debate will go on forever, as it sells gun magazines and guns. But in reality most centerfire handgun cartridges from the 9mm on up will do just fine for anybody needing to defend themselves. Sure their are situations where you're in deadly game hunting and need a big back up gun, or situations where you're handgun hunting, and want a specific caliber/gun.
What's really more important is the accuracy of your gun for the purpose it is used, and how much the owner wants to practice to be proficient. Doesn't matter which caliber you buy if you can't hit what you aim at when it's most needed.
It was posted only as a little more information from an informal and not scientific test. I would think that he will be a little more careful with a chronograph from now on. However, I do not have a 10mm, nor am I trying to push them. Lots of good rounds and the new bullet technology is making it to the place where most rounds are better than they were even 10 years ago. What stays the same is that you have to hit the target for it to do any good. Even the .45-70 can be improved upon with some of the newest technology, and my opinion is that it was darn close to perfect just the way it was when Billy Dixon used it over 100 years ago.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

This guy uses 4 inch barreled guns both 10mm & 357 mag:
https://youtu.be/vu5NCcEm8qs
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31