First .32 Winchester Special

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

First .32 Winchester Special

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Well, my first .32 Special arrived the other day - a nice old 1955-made Winchester 94. She locks up tight, and the bore looks virtually mint to my eye. She has been used in the last sixty-odd years, but not abused and I like the level of wear it has.

I have figured out I can resize .30/30 cases, and I can do it with a .30/30 die with the expander replaced with an 8x57 expander, so all is well. Tracked some factory ammo down too, and some 170 grain Hornady bullets. I have enough .30/30 brass to see me through I reckon.

I will make up a smokeless load for it, but will also reload it with black powder and cast bullets, as Winchester intended.

Only waiting for some projectiles to show up so I can take it to the range. Pretty pleased with myself actually, I have been looking for a decent pre'64 for a while, as they are not common at all here, and a .32 Special just makes it more interesting to me.

Tanqeuray on this forum put me onto this rifle and special thanks to him!

She actually looks better in reality than in these pictures. (It came with a front sight hood as well, but I took it off)

A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: First .32 Winchester Special

Post by fordwannabe »

What a looker. If she shoots half.as.good as she looks you'll have a nice rifle. Outstanding.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Tanqueray
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tanqueray »

That wood looks nice in the sunlight James, look forward to hearing how it shoots.
More meplat, more better.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Good looking 94. I have a similar looking flat band in 30WCF from 1946. Yours also has the receiver sight holes, a Lyman would suit it well if you are not a fan of the standard buckhorn. Let us know how she shoots!
Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

I have a Williams receiver sight lying around somewhere, but unlike nearly everybody, I am a great fan of the standard rounded rear with a notch that the Winchester 94's came with, and shoot them very well with the front bead.
This is only my second pre'64 94 carbine - the first one was dragged to hell and back and locked up loosely - this one the action works tight and positive without hardly any play, like the old Winchester 92's did; I am so used to looser post '64 actions now that at first I thought there was something wrong with it...
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

That's a DANDY right there Pard.
I'm one of those odd "levergunners" who never owned a Win 94 and never owned a 30/30..nor do I want to.
That said...a 32 Special would be just the thing. Don't know why that is...but I like it.
Congratulations.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Nice looker for sure!! Have a old src in 32 spl. works great with cast, got a 30-30 in a 94 it was born in
1955 as I was & looks like me (well worn but still functional) :lol: lets hear how she shoots!!

Brad
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

I have one very much like it, killed a black tail forked horn this past fall with it.
I grew up shooting one, as well as my dad hunted with one also. We love the 32
special. Mine was my great aunt's who hunted much with it in the Yukon.
I hunt with mine, made in 1946, my dad's was from the 30's.
Your's looks beautiful, great gun congratulations.

Gordon
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Welcome to the Special club. A real nice 32, congrats!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

There's nothing like a .32 gun for fun.............. :mrgreen:

(Nice grab - Congrats ! )

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That is a great looking 94 carbine, the .32spl should work good on some of your heavier game.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I bought my first .32 spl. a few months ago and really enjoy shooting it. :D
Just started reloading for it, need to get out and try out some of the new loads.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It looks nice. Used, but not abused is a great way for a firearm to go through life.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

Hey, I've got a question: For those who reload 32 Special, what bullet choices do you have? Can .323 jacketed, 170 gr, round nose bullets that Hornaday makes (presumably for milsurp 8mm rifles) also be used? Or, just the .321 jacketed, Hot-Cor flat nose bullets made by Speer? Reason that I ask is, I have a 1913 vintage Winchester Model 1894 Saddle Ring carbine that I have decided to dust off, and I don't want to have to use the rather expensive factory fodder.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

southfork wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:39 am Hey, I've got a question: For those who reload 32 Special, what bullet choices do you have? Can .323 jacketed, 170 gr, round nose bullets that Hornaday makes (presumably for milsurp 8mm rifles) also be used? Or, just the .321 jacketed, Hot-Cor flat nose bullets made by Speer? Reason that I ask is, I have a 1913 vintage Winchester Model 1894 Saddle Ring carbine that I have decided to dust off, and I don't want to have to use the rather expensive factory fodder.
All I have ever used is Speer or Winchester .321 diameter 170 gr bullets. Not much selection but they always get the job done.
If the Hornady is the same 170 gr weight, I don't know if I'd try it since there is really no benefit unless you just happen to have those on hand.
If I did try it, I would definitely start at the lowest published charge.
SAAMI lists the bullet as 0.322 -0.0030, the bore as 0.315 and the grooves as 0.320

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/_CC_D ... pecial.pdf

Order you some proper .321 bullets or cast some proper leas bullets rather than risk yourself and your rifle. Someone who has actually tried it may pop up and tell you to go ahead. Since I have not done it, I see no reason for the extra risk, just in case.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

southfork wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:39 am Hey, I've got a question: For those who reload 32 Special, what bullet choices do you have? Can .323 jacketed, 170 gr, round nose bullets that Hornaday makes (presumably for milsurp 8mm rifles) also be used? Or, just the .321 jacketed, Hot-Cor flat nose bullets made by Speer? Reason that I ask is, I have a 1913 vintage Winchester Model 1894 Saddle Ring carbine that I have decided to dust off, and I don't want to have to use the rather expensive factory fodder.
Hornady makes a .321 170 grain flat nose and a 165 grain gummy tip spire point if you want to go Hornady. I have a box of each sitting on my shelf -- just went and looked 'cause I couldn't remember for sure what I'd been loading in my old girl.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

vancelw wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:46 am
All I have ever used is Speer or Winchester .321 diameter 170 gr bullets. Not much selection but they always get the job done.
If the Hornady is the same 170 gr weight, I don't know if I'd try it since there is really no benefit unless you just happen to have those on hand.
If I did try it, I would definitely start at the lowest published charge.
SAAMI lists the bullet as 0.322 -0.0030, the bore as 0.315 and the grooves as 0.320

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/_CC_D ... pecial.pdf

Order you some proper .321 bullets or cast some proper leas bullets rather than risk yourself and your rifle. Someone who has actually tried it may pop up and tell you to go ahead. Since I have not done it, I see no reason for the extra risk, just in case.
Those .323 bullets COULD cause higher pressures, and depending on your chamber, could cause difficulty in chambering a round.
Also, using an 8x57 expander button could make for a loose bullet to case fit.
Merle from PA
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Was safekeeping my inlaws Mod 64 in .32 win spcl till I offered him the market $$ for it.I never handloaded for it but in 2003 at an old hardware store having a public sale inventory reduction I picked up 8 yes 8 boxes of Remington 170gr .32 win spcl cartridge for $2 a box.This rifle with the correct redfield peepsight it came with will print 2" or less at 50 yds.I can use Winchester silvertips,or regular powerpoint flatpoint or federal and they all shoot the same.Only factory ammo that did not preform in the 64 were the hornady flextip or what ever they are called.2" turned into 6" at 50yds.When hunting as with all my peepsighted guns I remove the pinhole insert and focus on the front sight thru the rear apture.This is a pre 64 and post WW2 gun.Be careful as they have somewhat shallower groves than most rifles.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Some interesting results from the first range session with this carbine.

With 27 grains of H4198 and the 170 grain Hornady bullet, I got about 1.0 or 1.5 inch group at 50 yards. I sighted it in there with a couple of two shot ""groups"" just adjusting the sights a bit to teh left, amd then ran out of ammo before I got to shoot a group at 100 yards, but from what I have seen I expect it to shoot a three inch group at 100 yards or possibly better, so I am satisfied overall.

I tried black powder as well already - I tried a previous load I used in the .30-30 which shot well, (one ragged hole at 50 metres for four rounds before the bore fouls out - velocity 1300 fps)
which was a duplex load with 2 grains of Universal as a smokeless primer to control fouling, and 40 grains of 2 blackpowder, compresses about an 1/8th.
But no dice with the .32 Special and blackpowder - two inch group at 25 yards. This is very poor accuracy, worse than any reload I have ever made, smokeless or blackpowder, and I don't believe the bullet is stabilising at these low velocities.

But I am very happy with it so far....next trip to check her out at 100 yards.

A pleasure to shoot. Recoil seems less than a .30/30, that is if I am indeed getting book velocity, which I am not sure about. I dont have a chrony at present, but I will know next time I shoot it at 100 and can judge the trajectory.

Meanwhile anyone shot 27 grains of H4198 with a 170g jacketed bullet in a 20'inch .32 Win spl and has a chronographed velocity to offer?
Mark Twain
Tanqueray
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tanqueray »

Can’t help with the load data, but sounds like it’s a good shooter with the factory loads, and I’m sure a bit of load development will see it shooting even better.
It’s always a bit of a gamble buying vintage firearms, not often they come with an accuracy guarantee, but I’d be more than pleased with 2-3” at 100m with open sights.
Planning on giving both of my 1892’s a run this weekend, hope they shoot this well.

I only have the ADI manual, which is a bit lacking so far as the 32 WS is concerned, but may be of some use to you:

More meplat, more better.