Trouble with auto correct.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

Trouble with auto correct.

Post by piller »

I had turned the auto incorrect off for my phone. It was somehow turned on again after an update. I had to go turn it off again. I absolutely hate the way auto incorrect changes two out of every three words I type from what I want to something which is meaningless within the context of my sentence. On becomes in, my Daughters name becomes three separate words in ebonics, anything job related is just deleted with a spinning circle as auto incorrect tries to find something to change it to. For example, auto incorrect refuses to allow me to type fluoroquinolone, PPI, CyP450, and 2C19. Those are all very common terms in Pharmacy. Recently, I had posted about paper hull shotgun shells on a thread here on leverguns. That was what beought my attention to the fact that auto incorrect was on again. I was simply not allowed to type hull. Hill was the word on screen no matter how many times I backed up and retyped it. I would seriously enjoy a one on one session with one of the programmers for auto incorrect. They wouldn't enjoy it, but they would learn from it. I am not even talking violence. Just a lot of telling them that they need to stop assuming that everyone speaks and spells with the equivalent of a Second Grade education.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Trouble with auto correct.

Post by AJMD429 »

Yet sometimes it will get some way-out medical term even I would consider rare and esoteric, but like you say, won't allow "hull" to be typed no matter what you do...

I sometimes type runonphraseslikethis then go back and insert spaces, because the really long things like that it won't automatically change.

Of course SOMETIMES the 'correction' turns out to be prophetic or humorous.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Android hates guns and knives and will autocorrect related terms at an alarming rate.
Once you mistype a word, it will repeatedly change the correct one to your misspelled version, until you force it to unlearn.

I miss my Blackberry :(

I could type on it faster than I could my computer.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:cry: AutoCorrect can be your wurst enema.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Interesting about android... I thought crApple was the only ANTI-AMERICAN...silly me!
I hate my crApple thing era I mean iPhone 5s ( the s means SUCKS )

I'm ready to go back to soup cans on a string!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Why use the darn thing then, just take the time to spell correctly in the first place and you have no worries.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It sure seems as if the majority of programmers are anti American. CRS is a welcome relief from the sheep herd.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

jnyork wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:05 pm Why use the darn thing then, just take the time to spell correctly in the first place and you have no worries.
I had turned it off so that I could just spell things correctly by myself. Auto incorrect is a pre-installed program on "smart :roll: " phones, and it is automatically updated. I guess it is automatically turned back on, even when the user goes into the settings and turns it off.
D. Brian Casady
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

jnyork wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:05 pm Why use the darn thing then, just take the time to spell correctly in the first place and you have no worries.
Not true
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

piller wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:11 pm
I had turned it off so that I could just spell things correctly by myself. Auto incorrect is a pre-installed program on "smart :roll: " phones, and it is automatically updated. I guess it is automatically turned back on, even when the user goes into the settings and turns it off.
Because they KNOW what's best for you. Just ask them!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

BlaineG wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:54 pm :cry: AutoCorrect can be your wurst enema.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

The only phone I use is the old house phone. Our son and our grandson take turns buying my wife the new phones when they come out, she hates it because she has finally learned to use the old one. Her biggest trouble is fighting with that darned autocorrect. My wife is excellent speller and it does not like the word that she uses. She has deleted some messages instead of trying to finish them. So I have to say Mr. York learning to spell correctly is not needed in this case.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Texting should be banned... If you want to tell somebody something... just call, or better yet, go over for a visit! I had a friend... who insisted on sending me texts... I would receive them at all times of the day or nite... and he must've had some sort of "spidey-sense", as I seemed to be driving whenever he did. So, I'd call him back... and ask what he'd sent. I'd tell him I was driving and couldn't divert that much attention to look at whatever cartoon or such he'd sent. It didn't take long for him to get the picture... and he's not texted me for years! Does that mean we're not friends amymore? :( :( NOT! :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Gee guys...

On my iPhones (work and personal), it usually lists the "wrong word" (to them, that is) in a small box at top left above the text pane, with two other "PC Correct" options they suggest in two other boxes to the center and right -- I just tap the box thta I want, and it types that in, just as I want it.

And after awhile, it seems to learn the "non PC words" that I use most often.

For instance, it took awhile, but now it knows "flintlock" and even prompts me for that as soon as I type in "flin...".

Not sure what setting I set -- or didn't set (as auto-correct is on) -- but it looks like it CAN be easily overridden!

Good luck!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Some autocorrect programs allow you to "add to dictionary" on your device. Simply click on the word and then click on "add to dictionary". I've added hundreds of words my autocorrect program didn't recognize before, and now lets them be as I type them.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Griff wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:31 am Texting should be banned... If you want to tell somebody something... just call, or better yet, go over for a visit! I had a friend... who insisted on sending me texts... I would receive them at all times of the day or nite... and he must've had some sort of "spidey-sense", as I seemed to be driving whenever he did. So, I'd call him back... and ask what he'd sent. I'd tell him I was driving and couldn't divert that much attention to look at whatever cartoon or such he'd sent. It didn't take long for him to get the picture... and he's not texted me for years! Does that mean we're not friends amymore? :( :( NOT! :D
The beauty of texting is....you answer when you have time-on YOUR schedule. If something is needed right now, yeah, call. But if it not urgent, texting is great.
I can tell the wife to get milk or bread on the way home (or vice versa) and it takes a simple 5-second text "milk" and not a 5 minute chit chat about nothing, simply to get milk.

I have a friend who will test me back...."can't talk now. Driving." :lol: I keep telling him, then just wait and answer when you are not driving. I don't care if it's hours later. Otherwise, I would call.

My cousin and i will carry on gun/hunting conversations for days. It may be 5 seconds or it may be 5 hours between responses
As far as all hours of the night. My texts, messages, emails, etc and so forth go to the phone. So when I am sleeping, the phone is set on "Do not disturb".
Nothing gets through except the alarms I have set and people I have marked as favorite. You can tell the phone to ignore the "do not disturb" for favorite i the call, text, email, message or any combination of those. My wife and elderly mother are the only ones on that list. Anyone else can wait until I wake up. It was never a problem when I was on a normal schedule, but when I started working night shift arrangements had to be made.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:53 am Some autocorrect programs allow you to "add to dictionary" on your device. Simply click on the word and then click on "add to dictionary". I've added hundreds of words my autocorrect program didn't recognize before, and now lets them be as I type them.
Depends on the software, but most automatically add to the dictionary. That's why, if you ever mistype something, it keeps auto-correcting in back to the wrong word. You have to tell it to stop using the mis-spelled words.

Android is partnered (or owned) by Google. Very liberal and very aggravating in the auto-correct.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

All the above adds to the reasons I am among the 1% of Americans who dont own a smartphone.

I am such a geezer that I still make telephone calls when I want to talk to someone, if they are "not available" I just leave a message.

Some of you older guys may remember some of that. :roll:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Mine is an Android, and it just did not learn. I shut the autoincorrect off.
D. Brian Casady
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

First World Problems. :shock:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

2ndovc wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:25 pm First World Problems. :shock:

jb 8)
Indeed. Probably not much of a problem at all in Somalia, El Salvador, Bangladesh, etc. :roll:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

jnyork wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:09 pm

jb 8)
Indeed. Probably not much of a problem at all in Somalia, El Salvador, Bangladesh, etc. :roll:
Or other sh!thole places! :wink: :lol:
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:30 pm
jnyork wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:09 pm

jb 8)
Or other sh!thole places! :wink: :lol:

Don't kid yourselves....

They may live 20 to a shack, poop in the back room, hitchhike to get around, and eat grub worms and maggots for a feast....but they all have cell phones.