Revolver barrels

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Revolver barrels

Post by 4t5 »

I like half lug barrels, looks and the feel,but it seems most da revolvers are made with full lug barrels,that wasn't so years ago,why the change?
Rumble.com/ hickock45
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Re: Revolver barrels

Post by 4t5 »

or should I say ,what advantage does the full lug have over the half lug?
Rumble.com/ hickock45
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Just more weight under the barrel. I guess some people like the looks too but I don't even own one of those. But then most of my revolvers are thumbbusters. There are still plenty of the older type out there if you want to buy a used one.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

The weight-forward balance is about the only thing about the full-lug you could say is functional -- and not everyone likes that feature. I think the #1 reason for the full-lug's proliferation is the same thing that brought us things like tailfins on cars -- the perceived "cool factor". We humans are downright goofy about some fashions. Everybody and his cousin thought the Colt Python was the coolest-looking thing around back in the golden-olden days, and it spread from there.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The underbarrel extra weight makes aiming somewhat steadier - why many vintage target pistols (High Standard Spacegun, S&W M-41, etc) had them as accessories.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yep. Silly affectation other than on a true 'target' pistol, or maybe a recoil-beast needing tamed.

I passed on a good price S&W '29' because it was not the original length barrel lug.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Having shot the Taurus Raging Bull .454 Magnum and the Ruger 454, I believe that heavier Taurus barrel helped control both muzzle rise and recoil.

The recoil of the .454 Taurus seemed about the same as .45 Colt in the Ruger, whereas the .454 in the Ruger strained my wrist.

On the other hand, the Ruger .45 colt shot very well - both accurate and controllable.

Just my two bits from my personal experience.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I don't care for the looks of even the half lug barrels. A "pencil" barrel with at most a locking lug for the ejector rod is all I care to see hanging under the barrel.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I believe they are making those revolvers for me. If it doesn't have a full-lug barrel I figure it is just a manufacturing penny-pinching strategy.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

earlmck wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:02 am I believe they are making those revolvers for me. If it doesn't have a full-lug barrel I figure it is just a manufacturing penny-pinching strategy.
:lol: They're obviously making them for SOMEBODY....and a lot of them.
I've only ever had one full lug. A S&W 681. Back then I didn't like the fixed sights so it went away. Wish i would have replaced it with a 586 or 686 and hung on to it. Oh well.

On a similar note....I LOVE the Ruger Redhawks but never could warm up to the Super Redhawk. The only SR that looked okay to me was the snubby Alaskan versionm where the bbl was just the length of the oversized frame.

I also like half lug and pencil bbls too. :D :D :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

vancelw wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:53 am .I LOVE the Ruger Redhawks but never could warm up to the Super Redhawk. The only SR that looked okay to me was the snubby Alaskan versionm where the bbl was just the length of the oversized frame.

I also like half lug and pencil bbls too. :D :D :D
Yeah, I know what you mean. I picked up a used Redhawk at a gunshow in Carson City back about '91. I really did like shooting it even though they had skimped on the barrel lug. A wise man had written that when you find something you like you better lay in an extra or two because they'll quit making them. I was shooting the Redhawk so much I figured I'd wear it out in a few years, so foolishly I got a Super Redhawk as it came with scope mounts and I wanted to try that out. So I soon found out I didn't like scopes on a handgun and the revolver got uglier every time I looked at it.

I don't think you can wear out a Redhawk anyway, but I didn't know that at the time. I still have the Super Redhawk just in case I ever do wear out the Redhawk. It feels the same and shoots the same as the Redhawk and looks the same from the rear when you are shooting it. It's only from a side view that it disappoints.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Pisgah wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:21 pm The weight-forward balance is about the only thing about the full-lug you could say is functional -- and not everyone likes that feature. I think the #1 reason for the full-lug's proliferation is the same thing that brought us things like tailfins on cars -- the perceived "cool factor". We humans are downright goofy about some fashions. Everybody and his cousin thought the Colt Python was the coolest-looking thing around back in the golden-olden days, and it spread from there.
+1 -- that says it all, as for me I like a half-lug on a revolver too...the full lug made the revolver heavier than it needed to be... :)
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

I was looking for a 327fed revolver ,lipsey's has a gp100 model in 5" half lug barrel, but with small hands I'm better suited to a sp101 which has a 4" full lug, Looks is second to fit so I think sp it is, would love a 5" tapered barrel, and blue but that is wishful think'n.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

If you like that look, Lipsey's has the GP100 in 327 Federal, 357 Magnum and 44 Special. The guys I know who've picked them up love them. Looks like Lipsey's and Ruger hit the ball out of the park with this one.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I carried a S&W mdl 10 for several years... turned in this issue gun and replaced it with a mdl 19, but never shot it quite as well as I did the "hand-me-down" mdl 10. Then I came upon a mdl 65... and it has been a lasting love affair since. I tried a friend's 686, but it was muzzle heavy, whereas the bull barrel on the mdl 65 was just right. The only deputy to consistently out-shoot me was my best friend, who used a mdl 13. And he was the Range Sgt... and shot EVERY day. And that was amongst the entire 800+ man department, using all type of .38/.357 DA revolvers except the Dan Wesson (not approved for duty use).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!