Shootin' 'n bikin' weather

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Shootin' 'n bikin' weather

Post by earlmck »

Most years January is not a month where we enjoy much shooting. And almost never a month for bike ridin'. But last Saturday got up to 60 degreees here and I met a batch of fellers and we did a fair amount of shooting at paper and steel. One of my friends has his granddad's Rem 14 in 30 Remington which he had never shot. I brought one of mine
StithMount8626.jpg
and a box of ammo and he got to shoot his rifle for the first time ever. It has a nasty rasty bore and didn't seem to shoot real well which was a bummer, but at least he got to try it.

I had recently acquired a Lee 22 cal "bator" mould and wanted to see if this bullet would get me a cast bullet load for the K-hornet which has never liked any cast load I have tried. So I had a whole ladder of loads with two different primers. Nope -- the K-hornet (low-wall winny)
KHornet.jpg
doesn't like this bullet either. The little K shoots 45 grain jacketed bullets fine but I still don't have a cast load for it.

I was hoping for another of those 60 degree days so I could break out the old bike that hasn't turned a wheel since November. Or heck, maybe even October -- can't really remember the last time I rode. But Sunday was cold/windy (back to more normal) and I figured I'd missed my one chance. Then yesterday the fog burned off early and things heated up. When the thermometer hit 55 degrees I said "whoopee!" and bundled up in my motorcycle clothes and threw the carharts over the top and hit the road. I might have been a little cool but it felt good to get a little wind across the bow (which I surely do on this little dual-sport, whose windshield is purely for decorative purposes and has no detectable wind-shielding effect, that is my only ride anymore)
EarlNbike1026.jpg
Back above 50 again today but wind whipping pretty good. Not a real great day for shooting so I may do another bike ride. I don't think I've been able to enjoy a bike ride in January since I moved back to Oregon from Nevada 20 years ago. This global warming may make Oregon a decent place to live!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shootin' 'n bikin' weather

Post by OldWin »

Wow, cool! Wouldn't be doing and bike riding here! Even shooting is kind of unpleasant.
Good for you, my friend. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool, supposed to be 40 here Friday I may have to fire up the old Hog and spin some donuts. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea Earl....Jan. sucks .......it never used to, I used to shoot in blinding snowstorms but there is just something good to be said of "fair weather shooting" nowadays after reaching 60.

As for .22 cast, I've found ...in the 218 bee that bullets have to be Linotype, a gas check, and medium burning powders, like 4227 and size to .225. Velocities did not seem to matter as I was pushing them 2200 and they shot as (almost) good as jkt.

Pitchy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:49 pm Cool, supposed to be 40 here Friday I may have to fire up the old Hog and spin some donuts. :)
There's a reason why the Good Lord put Pitchy and myself 2,000 miles apart. I can see it now....me and Pitchy would have a dirt bike track, complete with 50' jumps.....just for Harley's and beer. My wife has always made it clear, "I don't care WHAT you buy but you better not come down the driveway with a motorcycle or you'll be living with it."
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Sixgun, I guess in your case loud pipes wouldn't save your life! Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Heck, I can beat that. It's shootin' and bikini weather here in the southland.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

jeepnik wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:32 pm Heck, I can beat that. It's shootin' and bikini weather here in the southland.
We need pictures. :wink: :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Been that way here also, 53 today & truck was in the shop so got some shooting in today
45 colt revolver & trapper & 32-40 in a old 1893 Marlin, don't ride bikes no more

Brad
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:22 pm
As for .22 cast, I've found ...in the 218 bee that bullets have to be Linotype, a gas check, and medium burning powders, like 4227 and size to .225. Velocities did not seem to matter as I was pushing them 2200 and they shot as (almost) good as jkt.
Yeah, that's perzactly what these were, with the powder being Lil' gun. My hornet shoots cast just fine -- I've never put a jacketed bullet through it. But this K has never liked anything I have cooked up of the cast variety. Haven't given up -- I have a few more things to try. Though I'm not sure why I am worrying about a cast load -- when Widener's was closing out reloading stuff I bought all their hornet bullets cheaper than I can make cast/gas checked bullets, and probably have a lifetime supply for the little K. But this new bullet just looked like it might get me the cast bullet success that has eluded me with the K-hornet. But I've only had it for 40 years -- plenty of time yet to find a load it likes.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Earl, (or anyone who knows)...
I'd like to know more about the scope mount on that Remington in your picture. My father put the same set-up on his Rem. 760, 30/06. I still have that rifle and enjoy shooting it from time to time. The scope is a low power Lyman, 2x if I remember correctly, might even be 1.5. That mount might not meet today's standards for 500 yd m.o.a. precision shooting but it has proven itself for DECADES to be all ya need for "minute-of-Whitetail".
Dad was a machinist and for most of my life I just assumed it was something he created himself. I never asked Dad about it. After he passed, I eventually learned that it was a commercially available product, but can't remember much more than that.
Thanks.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

guido4198 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:07 am Earl, (or anyone who knows)...
I'd like to know more about the scope mount on that Remington in your picture.
It's a Stith mount -- they were popular in the 30's and 40's because you would use the dovetail for the rear sight as the front mount and just have to drill and tap for a rear mount. Has to be a scope with straight tube for the front mount sleeve to slide over, so they are always low-power scopes. And that's the sum total of what I think I know about the mount at this point. My 30 Rem came with that setup, elderly 2x Weaver scope. Very heavy "cool" factor. I've seen them on the Rem 14's and 141's and Savage 99's of that era.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

"Stith Mount"....Thank You Earl.
Remington started offering the 760 in 1952 so Dad would have had other options. I wish I had known enough to ask him about that unique choice. After seeing this thread, I checked my 760. The scope is a 1.5 Lyman with a VERY small "Dot" reticle. Back in those days, Dad did his hunting in Maine and New Brunswick, Canada. He told me he used the 760 when he was going to be "sitting". Later...I remember when he brought home the Remington 740. He put a Lyman target rear sight on that one and told me he used it when "walking the woods". I still have both of those rifles. Even hunt with them once in a while...more for the nostalgic value than anything else. I might dig them out this weekend and carry'em to my gun club for some paper punching..."just because". :wink:
I know this got off topic...but thanks for letting me reminisce a bit.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Earl, we had 3 days of gorgeous weather on the wet side of the Cascades also! Was able to take my hotrods out of mothballs and do a long drive in each of them! Haven't ridden my street bike in many years, so it still sat idle during the 3 wonderful warm days!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Pitchy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:48 pm
jeepnik wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:32 pm Heck, I can beat that. It's shootin' and bikini weather here in the southland.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks Jeep. Nice to shake off the winter chill, eh?
Earl, we have had quite a few days at or above 60 here in the past couple of months, although it has been closer to "normal" -- 55 -- lately. Down here, the guys seem to ride their bikes the year around, and this is not a helmet state. I am still a little shocked when I see a bunch of bare-headed motorcyclists wing past. Have a couple of Air Force guys in my neighborhood who ride their scoots to work at Holloman AFB.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Without pics it didn't happen. Warning, may be offensive to uptight folks - Bikini Season
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Yes :mrgreen: , being an old Arizona boy I know about living in places that are much nicer in the Wintertime. If the bride could stand to be away from the grandkids for a few months of the year we'd be snowbirding for sure. But as it stands now I just have to root vainly for "global warming" along with all the leftists.

Back closer to normal here today -- 30 degrees with a breeze this morning; supposed to get to 40 but with a stiff wind later on. I have a new pistola to try out though so will run out to the grasslands later on and see if my new 327 Federal revolver likes the Ranch Dog 32/20 bullet.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

jeepnik wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:29 pm
Ah yes and here I sit with the flu. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Lenn, get better, friend!
Earl, I will be curious what you think of that .327. I had one of those now-scarce Ruger Single-Sixes when the new .32 H&R Magnum came out, and was sorry I swapped it away.
We have a few clouds and a lot of gypsum in the air from the White Sands today. Pretty good winds whipping out there.