model 94 big.bore 444 with wood stock.and cross bolt safety and full magazine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

model 94 big.bore 444 with wood stock.and cross bolt safety and full magazine

Post by dgr416 »

I.just bought a wood stocked full magazine big bore 94 cross bolt safety 444 marlin .How many.of these were made .Is the rifling.1 in.14 or 1-in.20 ? This is the only.one I.have seen.saw some black.shadow ones but not any like this .I chat wait to shoot it .I want to try 300 grain hornady xtp and swift 300 grain bullets .I bet this will be a fun.gun .The guy used it for bear guide back up gun .I hope to kill a big black bear with it this year .I.read Pacos article about how these were way stronger guns that Marlins .I don't like the cross bolt safety would rather have the tang safety but I think this gun will be an awesome hunting gun.I.thought it was a 375 Winchester when I asked about it because it was a big bore 94 nope it's a 444 .Does anyone like Boyds make a laminated stock for it that would be stronger and I.wouldn't.mess up the stock.I.need to find a set of kanes chaps for it I really.like them too !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: model 94 big.bore 444 with wood stock.and cross bolt safety and full magazine

Post by Pete44ru »

You have a .444 Big Bore 94 standard carbine.

The now somewhat hard-to-find .444 BB94 20" Carbine was made for only one year in 1998, and the one I had shot just fine with 240gr JSP's, with it's issue stock - I never had the desire to shoot boolits over 265gr in any of the multiple different .444's I had, and so cannot give any feedback on 300gr whatevers.

The Winchester BB94 Carbine was issued with a 1:38" twist

FYI, the 24" barreled .444 Win BB94 Black Shadow was issued with a 1:12" twist, and the 17-1/2" barreled .444 BB94 Timber Carbine with a 1:20" twist.

I have absolutely no clue as to why Winchester issued 3 different .444 rifles with 3 different twist rates. :roll:

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: model 94 big.bore 444 with wood stock.and cross bolt safety and full magazine

Post by J Miller »

dgr416,

I can't comment on the 444 caliber, but I can comment on the CB safety. Prior to Winchesters (USRAC) demise in 2005 there were many threads where owners of the Win 94AE's with the CB safety had found the safety engaged without their knowledge. One poster said that it was pushed on when he laid the rifle on the shooting bench, and another stated he missed a game animal because the safety had been pushed on as he was was hunting. So be aware of it. It's not as unobtrusive as the one Marlin put on their guns.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have one as you describe. It has been very accurate with the iron sights. I will have to check but the two loads I used shot to the same point at 100 yds.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

I bought a Timber Carbine when they came out. It is one of my favorites.

It is accurate with about anything I have tried. My preferred is a 290 gr. Cast flat nose. It also shoots the Lee 310 gr. Flat nose well . This is a significant increase of penetration at moderate speeds.

I think you will like it.

Don
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dgr416 »

I am going to try hornady 300 grain xtp bullets first then see if they shoot.good .If they shoot good I will try swift 300 grain bullets .I.Have a 405 Winchester 1895 teddy Roosevelt rifle should kick about the same I tried to look at Boyes for laminated stocks there were none for the big bore 94 'I didn't want mess up.the stock .I just saw one with the high cheek piece .I will put a limb saver pad on.It won't be bad .I.shoot my 416 all the time .I think.this will be a awesome bear and hog gun It should be more powerful than my 375 Winchester .Does anyone make the big loop lever for it ?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

dgr416 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:54 pm Does anyone make the big loop lever for it ?

The finger lever from a Winchester 94 Wrangler II will fit any M-94AE.

Tomcatt57
Levergunner

Post by Tomcatt57 »

I have one like yours. Mine shoots 240s and 265s very well. At around 6 lbs it's a pleasure to carry in the woods. The one I bought is the only one I have seen in person. I also have a BB in 375 and 307.
Tomcatt
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dgr416 »

I.Hope it shoots 300 grain.bullets good because I.plan.on using it on moose in.Alaska and bears .I have heard from.others that it did shoot good with bullets up to 320 grains .The big.loop lever would help.with.gloves and not so tight on.recoil .I will put a slip on limb saver recoil pad also .I.have problems with Winchester hammers too narrow for my fingers so a hammer extension also.I am.changing the weaver 1-3 power scope to a 3x9 Nikon.monarch to use to shoot through tiny.holes on.My farm at deer .I am excited to get it when it comes .I.heard you could disconnect the safety also .Where do you get those big.loop levers at ? This will be a fun gun too and a truck and camper tent gun for bears at night .Hope it shoots good and does not kick too bad !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If your BB94 has a threaded hole in the upper portion of the hammer, it will take Winchester's stud-type hammer extension - which can be installed on either side of the hammer, whichever is more comfortable.

If there's no hole, one like this has worked for me, with a tad of filework/fitting.

furrow
Levergunner

Post by furrow »

A healthy dose of Locktite has kept the safety in the off position quite well on mine.
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dgr416 »

I.finally.Got.It in.my hands today it's awesome like New .I.might.try some.of the 225 grain flex tips just for fun .I.found them and some of the 265 grain flex tips tonight .I am ordering some 300 grain bullets also .It came in.an awesome wincheet carring case looked nice too had dies 50 rounds of ammo and 30 pcs brass very good deal .This will be the gun I take to Ohio and Alaska .I will try a bunch of different bullets .I never have luck.with.hornady bullets we will see .I will look at the hammer Tomorrow .Is there a laminated stock for this gun Alaska is very hard on gun wood ! I am getting.the hammer extension too .The weaver 1x3scope is coming off and a 3x9 Nikon monarch is going.on.there .I can't wait to shoot it .I want to try to find some aa1680 loads in this gun works super awesome in my 357 maximum and 375 Winchester! Thank y'all.for helping.me on.this it's almost a mystery gun !
Hairtrigger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hairtrigger »

Do you disassemble first or just dump it on and hope for the best?

furrow wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:00 pm A healthy dose of Locktite has kept the safety in the off position quite well on mine.
I am one gun away from happy
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dgr416 »

Clear fingernail polish works awesome too .I use it on my 416 scope screws never any problems of coming loose .I.just talked to nosler they said 300 grain.go was soft but at 150 -200 yards it would be perfict .It might blow up close but will.kill.what you shot would work on deer not bears .
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dgr416 »

It already has hammer extension was the drilled one .I will dab some clear fingernail polish on it .I gotta get high scope rings you cab see the front site in.the middle of the bottom of the scope .I will get it all fixed up.Hopefully I.can find some kanes chaps to fit it .They help in.cold and soften recoil some and protect the wood awesome !
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dgr416 »

The limb saver pad is on.,sling.on.3x9 Nikon on ,higher mounts so I don't see the sites in.the scope on.hammer extension on .I.just gotta go shoot it get son e more brass and bullets and shoot the heck out of it .Weather's getting better now if I.can find some hogs that will be awesome ! I saw how to make shot shells out if 444 marlin. Brass too need the powder load too .
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dgr416 »

Now I.just need some Kane gun.chaps for this model 94 and some ammo and bullets and I am good too go .The Nikon monarch 3x9 is an awesome addition to this rifle so ate the higher mounts .Now I.don't see the iron sites in.the scope hate that ! .I have been trying to find all my data and bullet weights .It looks like the 265 interlock and 270 Speer bullets are the best besides hard cast which I.would like to try several weights 250 to 350 grain if any casters have some extra ones .This rifle is going.to hunt deer in Ohio and here in Georgia and bears and hogs .I can't wait to shoot it ! I.missed a set of kanes chaps for it didn't have stupid pay pal for eBay .Those chaps are awesome for your gun ! Should be shooting early next week yeah !