Why only four rounds?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OD#3
Levergunner

Why only four rounds?

Post by OD#3 »

My Miroku-manufactured Winchester '95 SRC only holds four rounds in the box magazine. Most references online about the '95 state that it had a five round capacity. Is this four round limit because mine is in .30-06 instead of .30-40? I was shooting it at the range today and began thinking about that, because the loading procedures for this rimless cartridge are different than for rimmed cartridges, like the 30-40. On the .30-06, one can't just slide the rim to the rear under the magazine lips and pivot the cartridge down. One has to angle the whole rear of the cartridge down past the feed lips and then pivot the cartridge while sliding it rearward. It occurred to me that this depresses the follower more during loading .30-06 than it would if loading .30-40. I've never read anything about the originals in .30-06 being so limited, but is my theory correct about loading differences being the reason, or are the magazines just shorter on these Miroku versions?
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Why only four rounds?

Post by crs »

IIRC, My Miroku/Winchester 1895 .405 also holds 4 cartridges in the magazine.
When hunting cape buff, I first loaded 2 rounds of 300 grain Northfork FPS, then two rounds of 400 grain Woorleigh solids, and finally, one round 400 grain Woodleigh Weldcore into the chamber. This was just as we began tracking and the PH had said to load up but keep it on safe. Fortunately, the one Weldcore did the job.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I have a Miroku 1895 in .30-06 and also one in .30-40, both only hold 4 rounds. Also with the .30-06 you dont have to roll the cartridge down you can set a cartridge on top of the feed lips and press straight down, it can be loaded similar to a double stack magazine that way.

I dont have an original to compare to (but if anyone wants to send me one my birthday is coming up).
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have both a japanese 30-40 and 30-06. Mine take 4 in the mag. But you can put anothervround invthe chamber for a total of 5. Ought ti be enough for mostvwork.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've never been in a hunting situation where I could shoot more than 5 rounds total? Actually can't imagine a scenario where you'd have time for more than 3 rounds and not either be eaten, or have the animal dead or long gone? Some states have a 5 round capacity limit, so they may have built these guns to comply in those states.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The "5 rounds" term refers to total capacity, and not magazine capacity.............

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

So what??? You are going to kill it on the sixth round?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

No offense, but more than two are sort of unnecessary.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I know the Leverguns forum occasionally runs off on a rabbit trail for a while but this is a little ridiculous. Feller just asked if his 4-round magazine capacity in Win 1895 was something done by Miroku, or whether they all were that way. Not having ever shot either the original or the Miroku version I was kinda' interested myself. 8 replies so far and no answer to the original, totally Leverguns-related question. Yeah, 4 is usually enough for big game hunting situations but us levergunners have been known to use our rifles for things other than big game shooting.

So did the original 1895's also have a magazine capacity of 4, with the "5-round capacity" requiring one in the chamber? Or is the 4-round magazine capacity a Miroku modification?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Whelen said the magazine in the originals held 5 in .30-40 but only 4 in .30-06. He did not explain why the Krag, with a rim wider than the base of the -06, could get in one extra round.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

KWK wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:52 amHe did not explain why the Krag, with a rim wider than the base of the -06, could get in one extra round.
In looking at the drawing on p.46, it appears the follower limits magazine depth most at the shoulder, and the Krag has the narrower shoulder, perhaps just enough to make the difference. The rifle was designed, after all, in the era of the Krag, and the magazine may have been sized to just clear 5 rounds of the service cartridge.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Book of Rifles 1895 Winchester LGRO.jpg
From The Book of Rifles, copyright 1948 by W.H.B Smith and Joseph E. Smith.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Thanks KWK and vance. That is interesting: 5 in 30/40, 4 in '06 for the old guys. And apparently just 4 in either one in the Miroku version.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Does anyone have one of the older Browning/Miroku 1895's? I wonder if their capacity is any different than the newer Winchester/Miroku with the tang safety like the ones I have.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

HawkCreek wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:06 pm Does anyone have one of the older Browning/Miroku 1895's? I wonder if their capacity is any different than the newer Winchester/Miroku with the tang safety like the ones I have.
I have had several of each (never had an original Winchester 1895, though :( ) and still have an 1895 Browning in .35 Whelen and a 1895 Winchester (modern Miroku) in .405 Win. Both hold 4+1. I used to have a Browning 1895 in .30-40 and can't remember for sure, but I think it held 5+1.

Other than the silly tang safety, I haven't noticed major differences between the current Mirokus and those of the '80s
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

1895 Winchester in 35 Win. Can I put 5 rounds in the magazine, Yes. Can I close the action with 5 in the magazine, no. I must chamber the top round or the bolt won't close. So the guns capacity is 5 but one is in the chamber. So with the Russians a 5 round stripper clip will fill the mag when they reload.